Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2016, 11:28   #826
BHPian

re: Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) EDIT: IR resumes linen supply in select trains

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I doubt trains would be affected by the strike. Normally not (atleast in South India), except for some stray incidents. BTW Tatkal tickets for tomorrow vanished in just few minutes of opening today.

And if a train is cancelled by Railways, they will credit a full-refund to your account. So no worries there.

Don't know about B'lore, but public transport in Kerala would be affected. Can get stuck at railway stations with no bus/auto/cab etc.
Should be life as usual in Tamilnadu (am yet to miss even a single day's work in TN due to any strike in all my years here).
No worries. We got Uber within 5 mins, and the guy dropped us at station in all within 20 minutes(JP Nagar > SBC) We got into station an hour early, than required. Thanks in part to the Bandh.

Train was late by 15 minutes, and inside station the business was as usual.
All in all, it was event less.

Thank you!
Old 19th September 2016, 09:52   #827
BHPian

re: Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) EDIT: IR resumes linen supply in select trains

Erail.in add-on to check seat availability does not seem to work on Firefox. Any one faced this issue and solved it?
Old 28th November 2016, 22:20   #828
BHPian

I have booked 1AC tickets for my parents through irctc. The ticket status is CNF but berth number is not allotted. Is it normal? Should I wait till chart is prepared ( I think thats 3hrs before train departs from source station) ?
Old 28th November 2016, 22:24   #829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
I have booked 1AC tickets for my parents through irctc. The ticket status is CNF but berth number is not allotted. Is it normal? Should I wait till chart is prepared ( I think thats 3hrs before train departs from source station) ?
That is correct, you will get to know which 1AC cabin and coach you're allocated to, when the chart is prepared.

If you were from an originating station you'd get this information much more in advance.
Old 11th December 2016, 19:49   #830
Distinguished - BHPian

I see most trains running between 6-12 hrs late these days! Parents were to travel to Kolkata via SDAH Rajdhani day after tomorrow, but this train has been departing NDLS around 1 am in the night (compared to 4.50 pm normal time) for the past few days. I am thinking of booking them through an afternoon flight instead. Flights on this sector seem to be operating without too much delays.

I don't remember trains being so much late in the past. Is it a recent phenomena? Maybe due to the ever increasing train services being launched every year without any upgrade in the infrastructure?
Old 11th December 2016, 20:00   #831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I see most trains running between 6-12 hrs late these days! [...] I don't remember trains being so much late in the past. Is it a recent phenomena?
Remember reading about the usual fog-related delays in North India couple of days back:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...le16779456.ece
Old 11th December 2016, 20:16   #832
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Remember reading about the usual fog-related delays in North India couple of days back:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...le16779456.ece
Yes, I know it is related to fog. Happens almost every year, yet IR is never equipped enough to deal with it. But even during the past few years, I am not sure I read about trains being 12+ hours delayed, that too the so-called "premium" trains Rajdhanis/Shatabdis etc.

Talking about technical upgrades, if we can invest in coaches designed in Germany, why can't we equip the locomotives with radars and thermal imaging systems. Maybe there isn't enough funds or maybe nobody cares.

The stations are nowhere near adequately equipped to handle the crowds due to these delayed/cancelled trains. People sleep on the platforms/footover bridges/staircases etc. blocking access and posing an imminent threat of stampedes in case the departure stations are changed last minute (happens much more frequently than we can imagine).
Old 11th December 2016, 20:29   #833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Talking about technical upgrades, if we can invest in coaches designed in Germany, why can't we equip the locomotives with radars and thermal imaging systems.
Pardon my ignorance, but is there any railway system anywhere in the world that uses radars and thermal imaging systems the way you describe; to reduce delays caused by fog?

If I recall correctly, the real reason fog causes train delays is that in foggy conditions, drivers are unable to see the aspect of trackside signals. Until technology brings signalling into the driver's cabin, we will continue to see fog delays.
Old 11th December 2016, 20:41   #834
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but is there any railway system anywhere in the world that uses radars and thermal imaging systems the way you describe; to reduce delays caused by fog?
Lol! Our own railways was to introduce it to tackle fog delays, trial was on since last year. See this - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/50786510.cms

Radars can help mitigate collisions in foggy conditions.

Quote:
If I recall correctly, the real reason fog causes train delays is that in foggy conditions, drivers are unable to see the aspect of trackside signals. Until technology brings signalling into the driver's cabin, we will continue to see fog delays.
The real problem as I see it is the overutilization of the existing infrastructure.
Old 19th December 2016, 16:30   #835
BHPian

Is there any way to know the coach number of RAC tickets ?

Reason for asking is that the boarding point where I am boarding from has a wait time of only 2 mins. Just wanted to confirm the coach before boarding.

Any pointers will be highly appreciated.
Old 19th December 2016, 16:32   #836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Is there any way to know the coach number of RAC tickets ?

Reason for asking is that the boarding point where I am boarding from has a wait time of only 2 mins. Just wanted to confirm the coach before boarding.

Any pointers will be highly appreciated.
You will typically get a SMS as soon as the chart is prepared. Or you can send a sms with "ASK PNR pnrnumber" to 139 and get the current status and/or seat assignment.
Old 22nd December 2016, 11:14   #837
BHPian

E-catering on Indian Railways

Did anyone explore e-catering option on Indian Railways ?

Would like to know their experiences on how the system works and the responses on the type of food served

Appreciate your help
Old 22nd December 2016, 12:03   #838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1
Is there any way to know the coach number of RAC tickets ? Reason for asking is that the boarding point where I am boarding from has a wait time of only 2 mins. Just wanted to confirm the coach before boarding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus
You will typically get a SMS as soon as the chart is prepared. Or you can send a sms with "ASK PNR pnrnumber" to 139 and get the current status and/or seat assignment.
And even if you don't get the SMS, just check the passenger manifest put up at the boarding station - this chart will have your details including coach/berth.
Old 22nd December 2016, 13:49   #839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
E-catering on Indian Railways

Did anyone explore e-catering option on Indian Railways ?

Would like to know their experiences on how the system works and the responses on the type of food served

Appreciate your help
This is essentially the very same stuff that gets served on trains as "veg meals or non veg meals sir?"

If you don't have spare cash on boarding the train so you can pay the attendant who comes and takes orders, you can order it online at http://ecatering.irctc.co.in/eCatering/

There are also several portals like https://www.yatrachef.com/ that will order from local restaurants in whatever city the train halts at night for meals, or at your boarding station if it is where the train starts from.
Old 22nd December 2016, 14:18   #840
BHPian

Quote:
I don't remember trains being so much late in the past. Is it a recent phenomena? Maybe due to the ever increasing train services being launched every year without any upgrade in the infrastructure?
I had traveled to Delhi from Chennai on the 16th of Dec, 2016 by Rajdhani Express, scheduled to reach H. Nizamuddin Station at 10:25 hrs on 17th Dec, 2016. Until I traveled and had the experience, I was of the belief that the Rajdhani Express would get preference and would be on time (At least not delayed hugely!). But for my luck : Frustrati: Frustrati, the train which was 30 min. late until Gwalior got delayed by more than 3.5 hrs when it reached H. Nizamuddin. Finally, reached my destination at 14:10 hrs. This is in spite of the fact that the weather in Delhi was clear, without Fog / Smog.

So IMO I do feel that no one concerned bothers about the delays anymore and we passengers have got to live with it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks