Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2008, 23:56   #1
BHPian

What contact lenses do you wear?

Hi,
Since this is a place for off-topic discussions, I thought it would be nice to know what kind of wheels go on your eyes

I had been using Acuvue from Johnson and Johnson earlier (30-day disposable), though I've stopped using lenses since the past 8 months. Now I'm out to get a fresh pair for my eyes and Googled up some reviews. Looks like Purevision from Bausch and Lomb are pretty good (they can be worn over 12 hrs a day, a dire necessity for people like me) though it is always better to get advice from someone actually using these on a daily basis.

I have heard about something called as cylindrical number in addition to the usual eye power we have. Do we get lenses correting the cylindrical number as well?

The Acuvue 30day that I used (got them from my optometrist in mumbai) for a period of 2 years were OK. I'm not sure if that lot is sold anymore. The recommended wearing time was 12hrs/day though I had them on for 15 hrs/day on an average.
They used to make my eyes really dry after like 8-9 hours. Clarity was fine. I was pretty comfortable wearing them within the 8 hour limit. I would rate them as follows:

Comfort 8/10 (for the first 8 hrs)
Ability to hold Moisture 4/10

Fellow BHPians, come share your experiences with the lenses you have been using currently and the ones you would definitely want everyone to avoid. You could rate your lenses based on comfort, ability to hold moisture, cool factor (if you wear colored lenses) and other points that you think might be relevant in making a decision when buying a pair. Please be detailed in your reviews.

As the saying goes " A friend's eye is a good mirror"
Old 3rd April 2008, 13:33   #2
BHPian

I've been using bausch and lomb soflens for a while now, and find them better than other makes.

The pure vision is a new concept and though is supposed to be better, I couldn't find any difference.

Though my friend swears by them.

Regarding 12 hour use, I use a pair for only 15 days. This still works out cheaper than purevision

This is because when I was in the UK, you got only 15 day lenses. I don't know if the 30 day lenses in India are different (I guess not).

I tried using them for 30 days and found that extended wear for 12+ hours was a problem.

The Complete solution also works a lot better for me. Try it out...

Astigmatism or cylindrical power means one has to use toric lenses. I use them in one eye and its not a problem.
Old 3rd April 2008, 14:02   #3
BHPian

I am using Acuvue for the last 8 months or so.. Not totally used to contact lenses yet..

Clarity is a problem for me. Things get blurred and I find myself squeezing my eyes shut many a time to get the right vision.

Another thing I have noticed.. Vision is better in broad daylight. (I hope its not a 'like duh!' kind of a comment)
Old 3rd April 2008, 14:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

I've been using B&L SofLens Comfort for the past 8-9 months now. I too buy monthly disposable ones and have been pretty happy with them except that after 8-9 hours of wearing them the eye becomes dry & post the 12 hour mark things become quite bad which at times (Give my frequent traveling) can be quite a problem.

Clarity wise there are no issues with them what so ever.

Any suggestions from people regarding lenses which can tolerate up to 12-15 hours constant usage without a problem?
Old 3rd April 2008, 16:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have been using Johnson&Johnson Acuvue monthly disposables for the past 2 years and find them quite comfortable. On somedays however, they make my eyes dry after about 12-13 hours of use but that could be due to sensitive eyes rather then the lenses.

I have to buy new lenses and my optician is trying to push me onto toric lenses. Can anyone tell me exactly in layman's terms what that means?
Old 3rd April 2008, 17:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzy View Post

I have heard about something called as cylindrical number in addition to the usual eye power we have. Do we get lenses correting the cylindrical number as well?
These are called Toric lenses; I am using this. I am a "proud" user of soft contacts since Jan 26, 1998 , but toric lenses were not available at that time....

TORIC: A toric lens is one in which either or both of the optical surfaces have the effect of a cylindrical lens, usually in combination with the effect of a spherical lens. Myopic (nearsighted) and hypermetropic (farsighted) people who also have astigmatism and who have been told they are not suitable for regular contact lenses may be able to use toric lenses. (Wikipedia)

@amit, go for toric only if you are sure that your optician is a reliable guy and you are absolutely in need of them. These lenses cost 3-4 times more than ordinary ones.

My last couple of lenses were B n L; the current one is an obscure brand named Oxymaxx, which is made in Korea. Oxymaxx : Empowering your vision

There's a waiting period for 2-3 weeks for B&L toric lenses (in Trivandrum), and for Oxymaxx it is less than a week; I was in a hurry for the replacement last time and half-heartedly ordered the Oxymaxx. Pleasently surprised by its performance. Price is 3400.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 3rd April 2008 at 17:45.
Old 3rd April 2008, 18:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
TORIC: A toric lens is one in which either or both of the optical surfaces have the effect of a cylindrical lens, usually in combination with the effect of a spherical lens. Myopic (nearsighted) and hypermetropic (farsighted) people who also have astigmatism and who have been told they are not suitable for regular contact lenses may be able to use toric lenses. (Wikipedia)
So what this means is Toric lenses are exclusively for people who have dual power or need both sphereical and cylindrical lenses?

I am only myopic. From what I understand, I don't think i need toric lenses. Am I right? Any optholmogoists on board here?
Old 3rd April 2008, 18:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
So what this means is Toric lenses are exclusively for people who have dual power or need both sphereical and cylindrical lenses?

I am only myopic. From what I understand, I don't think i need toric lenses. Am I right? Any optholmogoists on board here?
You are right.

You only need toric lenses if you have astigmatism.

For myopia, you need just the regular lenses
Old 3rd April 2008, 23:53   #9
BHPian

Thanks guys about the info on toric lenses, I'll get that checked by my optometrist, although the last time I had my eyes checked he mentioned I don't need the cylindrical (toric) lenses. I guess I'll go for the B & L purevision, website says a pair costs like Rs 1210 (30 day lens).
Old 4th April 2008, 07:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

carzy/ishaan: I've been on Acuvue monthly ones since three years now almost. And despite full day biking, they manage pretty well. Its more of an personal eye function thing. I'd tried some other bausch n lomb monthly trial pair but just didn't suit - no idea about purevision. What does help me on road trips is to reduce direct AC jets at the face or precautions with helmet. Also, during the day, while stretching my back, I also just close eyes, and rotate lenses inside eye only. else keep solution/drops and put some in eye on the road. better forced hydration than none - but in which case, consult optomerist. and leaving lenses for a short duration would help because dryness is dangerous!!

carzy: I get six pairs + 1 trial pair of acuvue for 1100. I'm sure looking around one would get it cheaper.

Also, something I've done for long nightouts in the past - wear the lenses only when you get to office - morning is comfortable to take it almost to office, then just wear it when you reach. Anything to reduce the strain on eyes.

Any other ideas guys?

Last edited by phamilyman : 4th April 2008 at 07:18.
Old 20th March 2011, 15:26   #11
BHPian

Re: What contact lenses do you wear?

The last post here was around 3 years back. I wonder if we can revive this thread once again.

I have been through the posts mentioned above, and I think contact lenses have come a long way from where they are three years back. New types have been launched, the costs have gone down and variety has also increased. It would be interesting to know members experience.

As far as I am concerned, I have recently moved to soft contact lenses (less than a month). I have cylindrical power in one eye and hence need toric lenses which are not available in the daily disposable format, which is why I use monthly disposable ones. I have adjusted to them quite well - in fact just played holi wearing my lens and I think I have taken to them like a fish to water.
Old 20th March 2011, 18:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Acuvue, 30 day. 15+ hours a day. No problems.
Old 21st March 2011, 20:00   #13
BHPian

Why do I find most people going for disposables ? Any specific reason ?
Old 21st March 2011, 20:40   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Why do I find most people going for disposables ? Any specific reason ?
Disposables offer more convenience and for some they are more practical than cleaning the old lenses again and again.

That said the disposables are cheaper and have various options to choose from.
Old 21st March 2011, 22:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

Anku, it is simple. Most cases - lesser life (30 days) = softer/more water content et al than a 1 year shelflife one.

India = more dust, i.e more wear and tear. Plus, if you wear it longer, every month you get yourself a new set, whereas the 1 year one isnt meant to be worn for 12+ hours actually.

Acuvue monthly lenses now cost 500rs for 3 pairs (MRP)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks