Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2008, 12:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Do I thing! send your check with India Post without any stamps. It will be delivered 100% and fast enough. because they charge the recieving party double the cost of stamp.
Dude, I do hope you have said the above in a lighter mode. It is not recommended to do the above way as the law here is we need to affix the stamp and then send the mail.
Old 6th April 2008, 13:45   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Do I thing! send your check with India Post without any stamps. It will be delivered 100% and fast enough. because they charge the recieving party double the cost of stamp.
More over you are asking for trouble and that too from Indian Postal department .It will simply give them reason to be negligient with your post if there is not Ticket and the worse is it can stay Stucked in some post officefor weeks just due to this

So in my opinion not a good idea
Old 6th April 2008, 16:20   #18
Senior - BHPian

No man i am dead serious. It works. wat do u meant by 'here'. india??

I have tried it many times.

Or you can use big names in couriers. They have tracking option through internet.

Last edited by ported_head : 6th April 2008 at 16:28. Reason: Please use EDIT function when posting successively within 20 minutes.
Old 7th April 2008, 00:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

BlueDart lost a DD that I sent to Mussourie and I had to go through quite a bit to get the money back. I wouldnt take a chance again.
Old 7th April 2008, 13:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitsingh08 View Post
Dear friends

I'm planning to send a cheque using Vichare courier in Mumbai and was wondering

* has anyone suffered a bad experience sending important stuff

* do couriers have signature or delivery-proof features? Vichare said they do; but I've never successfully seen a signature receipt.

thanks
Amit
@ Amit, please try to send the documents by Blue Dart or First Flight. They are the most reliable courier services, I have experienced. DTDC is not up to the mark. You can ask for proof of delivery from the courier office and you can track the shipment on their website. All you need for this is the Airway bill number.
Old 27th August 2014, 08:58   #21
BHPian

IndiaPost v/s DHL, FedEx for International Courier

Guys,

I have a couple of envelopes to send (containing documents) - one to the USA and one to Canada.

I'm aware that DHL and Fedex offer fast courier but they also tend to be very expensive for international courier services. I was quoted between 1500 - 2000 for a 100gram envelope.

Now, I know India Post also offers international couriers, mail, parcel services.
However, the reliability of their service is unknown to me.

It is highly important that both these parcels don't get lost in transit, both of them contain valuable documents. The one to the USA can take longer to reach (and hence cheaper service can be chosen), but the Canada item has to reach as fast as possible.

Anyone here have experience with IndiaPost? What do you suggest?
Old 27th August 2014, 09:24   #22
BHPian

Sending, I am not sure but receiving, my experience is that India post takes longer and I have missed items a couple of times out of which once the envelope din't reach me and the second time, the envelope was opened and empty when it reached me.

I rely on DHL for anything important. I think worldwide they have the best service. Fast and reliable. I always send using DHL and always reached it's destination and never lost an item sent to me via DHL either. If it is that important, I think the cost is justified at your end itself, ie., if you think 2000 Rs is worth it.
Old 27th August 2014, 09:26   #23
Team-BHP Support

Re: IndiaPost v/s DHL, FedEx for International Courier

I don't know about India Post for international courier.

I have used the services of DHL/BlueDart as well as First Flight couriers to send similar envelopes from Bangalore to Australia. Needless to say, First Flight couriers was much cheaper as compared to DHL and was delivered as expected.
Old 27th August 2014, 09:49   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was quoted between 1500 - 2000 for a 100gram envelope.
At these rates you should simply go-ahead with DHL or FedEx .If you must save money - go to any Post office & use speed post - it should cost under Rs 1000 . Indian Post has tie up with Canada Posts & USPS
Old 27th August 2014, 10:59   #25
BHPian

If you are using India Post then below are the shipment delivery dates.

Registered Post - Very Very Cheap & Normal Tracking available
To USA -> 8 to 12 Days Delivery
To Canada -> 8 to 14 Days Delivery

EMS Speed Post - Little Costlier compared to Registered Post, Detailed Tracking Available
To USA -> 3 to 6 Days
To Canada -> 4 to 8 Days

Since you are sending documents do not worry about the customs. I suggest India Post as its cheaper.

Last edited by CRV2010 : 27th August 2014 at 11:01.
Old 27th August 2014, 11:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

I recently had two documents sent to me from India via Indiapost and both of them were delivered to me within the promised timeframe (7 working days). I am, however, in Europe and not in US/Canada.
Old 27th August 2014, 13:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

In case it is feasible send both letters to Canada using either Fedex or UPS (both are faster to North American interiors than DHL) and from there the Canadian recipient can Fedex it using the lowest rate available to the US recipient.

I have used almost all means to send letters etc and when the documents are critical &/or time is of the essence, it is prudent to spend the money on the private players.

Another option is to use DTDC or equivalent, these guys ferry the documents to NY and from there use Fedex for onward delivery across continental North America. Turns out cheaper than using Fedex direct. Tracking is available and time lines are + a day or two of the specified period.
Old 27th August 2014, 13:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

My experience with IndiaPost on envelopes is good, my parents sent one and we got it within a week (this is for Europe). The same cannot be said about parcels, once it arrived on the fourth day the other time it took 1.5 months to deliver The problem is not just with India Post, but with the target country customs and the agency they have tie up. For Example: Poste Italiane is infamous for delayed/lost packages.

With DHL, TNT, Fedex my experience has always been sending to India and always delivered on the 2nd or 3rd day.

If you want time critical delivery in short notice send with DHL or Fedex. IndiaPost would be few days slower but never had packages lost.
Old 27th August 2014, 13:59   #29
BHPian

If you want reliability and a guarantee of timely delivery please avoid the postal service. Even EMS / Speedpost, though it supposedly has a tracking number is pretty useless with out-of-date or incorrect tracking information
Old 27th August 2014, 14:02   #30
Team-BHP Support

For documents you can use IndiaPost

The problem is with "parcels".
Companies like FEDEX have dedicated agents sitting in the customs department, who handle all the paperwork.
However in case of India post, or lets say when HK post parcel comes to India, there is no agent involved. So... Red tape and blah blah.

So for documents, go for Speedpost. That said, speed post can come around 800 INR. I doubt you will save much.

Another option is ARAMEX. They are cheaper than FEDEX for documents.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks