Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2008, 16:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

I have recently got a Vodofone connection. It seems like it was earlier used by someone else who has registered this number with his HDFC bank account.

I get calls from HDFC customer care with regard to his non-payment of due amounts.

I get calls from HDFC asking if I am interested in any new cards.

I also get SMS alerts for each and every card transaction / ATM withdrawals that he makes

I once asked a lady who had called as to why I keep getting these calls and she said that they are trying to get that person to pay his housing loan which he has defaulted. Told her to update her company database to reflect that change in number, but of no use! :-(
Old 9th April 2008, 16:19   #17
R.G
BHPian

AFAIK it is not possible to have a debit card/ account without your knowledge.
We need to submit ID , salary proofs and many other docs to start an account. So I feel there is nothing for you to worry .

They ( some citibank card franchise )may be trying to confirm from a list of phone numbers they got , who is using a citi bank card and who is not .

Next someone might call you asking if you are interested in Citi Bank Card .
Old 9th April 2008, 16:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Recently I got a call from a Delhi number. Conversation went thus: (translated from Hindi to English)

Caller (a gruff male): Can I speak with Mahmood Syed?
Me: You must have the wrong number, thats not my name.
Caller: Where can I call him?
Me: Beats me, pal.
Caller: But he has called you on 17th Nov 2007
Me: Uh.. (thinking very hard where this is heading).. maybe dude. I get like 150+ calls a day. But I dont recollect a person by that name.
Caller: That Mahmood hasn't paid his Airtel bill. Just wait till I get my hands on the %&^%*$@%^^&**
Me: huh?

Caller hangs up.

I assume this was some recovery agent. I have no clue who this Mahmood is. Or why he called me if he did.
Old 9th April 2008, 17:25   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Sorry for the mix-up there, guys. The quoted part was originally posted by Rahul. Mix-up on my part happened during a copy-paste when I was editing that message.

Not able to correct it now since the 20 min's has elapsed.
wondering if the girl who made the call hangs out at TBHP a lot (and made a copy paste mistake)
Old 9th April 2008, 17:43   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
vivekiny2k : wondering if the girl who made the call hangs out at TBHP a lot
Doesn't it make sense now ? She's actually trying to reach our RahulKool !
Old 9th April 2008, 18:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Recently I got a call from a Delhi number. Conversation went thus: (translated from Hindi to English)

Caller (a gruff male): Can I speak with Mahmood Syed?
Me: You must have the wrong number, thats not my name.
Caller: Where can I call him?
Me: Beats me, pal.
Caller: But he has called you on 17th Nov 2007
Me: Uh.. (thinking very hard where this is heading).. maybe dude. I get like 150+ calls a day. But I dont recollect a person by that name.
Caller: That Mahmood hasn't paid his Airtel bill. Just wait till I get my hands on the %&^%*$@%^^&**
Me: huh?
Sounds like a typical under cover conversation. Did you go to the Airtel billing counter for making the switch ? after turning 17 times & smsing to 2007 ?
Old 9th April 2008, 23:03   #22
BHPian

May be this is a scam...

What if you had a Citi debit card?

When the girl gave you the last four digits XXXX, you would have said "No, I am rahul and the last four digits of my card are YYYY". The she will say she misread it and will ask you to give your full 16 digit card number and your name, address and personal details for verification purpose. Not every may fall for it, but even if one out of 100 calls are successful, she will have the debit card details of some unlucky chap and she can go buy some nice shoe online.
Old 9th April 2008, 23:16   #23
BHPian

Often the DSA of Banks get their database from Telecom service providers; They sort the list and add to their existing database after a VLOOKup in Excel; when the sort goes wrong, they end up dialing the incorrect person tagged to wrong account numbers.

Nothing to worry Rahul; this is a case of mistaken identity.
Old 9th April 2008, 23:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
May be this is a scam...

What if you had a Citi debit card?

When the girl gave you the last four digits XXXX, you would have said "No, I am rahul and the last four digits of my card are YYYY". The she will say she misread it and will ask you to give your full 16 digit card number and your name, address and personal details for verification purpose. Not every may fall for it, but even if one out of 100 calls are successful, she will have the debit card details of some unlucky chap and she can go buy some nice shoe online.
That's typical kollywood movie style. where you from (originally) , mr. mayavi ?
Old 10th April 2008, 03:38   #25
BHPian

I am from the woods alright, though not from that nick of woods.
This kind of scam is very common in the US and I believe it happened in India as well. Phishing online is very common as you all know.
Old 10th April 2008, 04:05   #26
BHPian

Rahul - These cases have happened before with Citibank and they have a very rigid system to handle it.

Just email your query to customer.care@citibank.co.in and they'll respond back with 48 hours.

PS: I'm not sure about the exact email pattern but will confirm it to you asap.

Once they call back, just tell them your name and phone number..if anything is matching, then they'll let you know. If there is an identity stolen crisis then a rep from the bank will be at your door within 48 hours and verify everything and clear you of the mess. It sounds a little lengthy and weird but they handle it proffessionally.

PM me if you want any other details.
Old 10th April 2008, 07:13   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
CorsaLove : Once they call back, just tell them your name and phone number..if anything is matching, then they'll let you know.
Ask Them To Give the details, and you verify the details they give. Do Not Volunteer any information - Remember, they initiated the call.
Old 10th April 2008, 07:26   #28
BHPian

Once I got a call:

She: Sir, I am ka-lling from Citibank. This is regarding increasing the credit limit on your card
Me: It got increased recently and I am happy with it
She: This is additional 1 lakh increase. Please tell me your card number
Me: Thanks, bye

After I cut the phone I realised if she is really from Citibank she should have had my card number already. Also the number from which she called showed an international number (using some calling card perhaps).

Nirmal
Old 10th April 2008, 12:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

Just called citibank cust care and they told me not to do anything, just ignore the call

also the call i got was from not starting with 285 and all the citibank cust care nos are starting from 285 .....

he also told me that i can go to the branch and talk to the relation ship manager about this ...... wat do u guys say ?

ps: will send a email also
Old 10th April 2008, 12:43   #30
BHPian

though i have been receiving marketing calls since last 2 years , i wont forget this call

she: "sir im calling from XX(forgot the name) homeo hospital. since we are celebrating our nth anniverasry this month we offer you discount in treatment if you have any of these diseases". and without pausing starts to give me a long list

me: (interrupting) "thanks for the offer but fortunately i dont have any of these"

she: "does any of your friends have?"

me : im really sorry but i dont think so. thank you

she : sir dont hang up. where do you work?

me : tells my company name (those were the initial days of getting these calls . nowadays i wouldnt have taken it this long)

she: do you work there or do you own this ?

me: this time i hangs up

Most Viewed