Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2008, 13:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Sir I am calling from IHRSA!!!

I just got a call from a call center(?) girl claiming to be Priya.

Sir i am calling from IHRSA and you have been selected for Rs7000(yes 7000rs!!!) free gift voucher. You dont need to pay anything. Just drop in at manipal center today 6-9 for a tea & snacks party and collect the gift voucher. Please come with your family.

and other usual blaa bla...

Any one got such calls recently? if so anyone visited? Lets know the experiance if you had.

Anyway, i am against this FREE stuffs. No one here is doing charity, and why the hell he is giving something free? may be because he can get something else CHARGED from me in bulk...
Old 10th April 2008, 13:08   #2
BHPian

Hmm, i have got calls like these earlier, claiming that they are calling from Club Mahindra, and there is a free gift for me, now once you go and visit them they ask you to enroll for club mahindra holidays and then u can avail the gift. LOLS !! I told them send me the gift over to my office address and gave them the Mahindra office address hehehe. No calls henceforth
Old 10th April 2008, 13:11   #3
Team-BHP Support

Sometimes you should believe your spam because - Spam but true.
Old 10th April 2008, 13:24   #4
BHPian

the people who call like this be normally from some insurance company, there will be a presentation regarding there products. they try to sell there products like this... if at all they give gift voucher it will be a holiday gift voucher
Old 10th April 2008, 13:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

In Bangalore it is almost always the "Buy a holiday share" trap. Earlier it was also Teak Plantation, plot with house at a holiday destination, etc. The incentive differs - Dinner set, free vacation, "gift hamper worth xxxx" etc.

The modus operandi is to collect phone numbers from the contest slips one deposits at malls during seasonal or festival Sales, like "Win a Ford Fusion if you shop more than 2000/-". I had found this out when I had grilled an unsuspecting caller regarding the source (helps if you say you are a cop, and you have traced their number).

The first time it happened to me (10 years back, I think) what sent my antenna up was the insistence: "you must bring your wife, only couples will be given the prize". Huh?
Old 10th April 2008, 13:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The first time it happened to me (10 years back, I think) what sent my antenna up was the insistence: "you must bring your wife, only couples will be given the prize". Huh?
Exactly! I have received these kind of calls from Holiday companies many times.

Fortunately, i am not married.

P.S. There was an episode dedicated to this on Office Office a few weeks back. It was hilarious!

Last edited by DCEite : 10th April 2008 at 13:49.
Old 10th April 2008, 13:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

You get a call they fix up an appointment for you to claim your free gift or whatever. Sometimes its even at a fairly decent hotel. When you arrive you are pressurized into buying a plot/timeshare/holiday etc. Thats the only catch.

They always deliver the promised gifts. I know a person who got 1 week's free stay in Goa at a 5 star resort after her dad actually signed up for some timeshare thing

Another big developer is supposedly bundling BMW's with the Villa
Old 10th April 2008, 13:52   #8
BHPian

It's bull****. Forget about it.
Old 10th April 2008, 14:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Lolls,many people fall prey to such stuff and the guys doing this also only wants 10% conversion.Mostly it would be any crap like the insurance and they would say at the end of the presentation we would give you discount on a product which would be in the form of gift coupons on the purchase of a non moving product.
ram
Old 10th April 2008, 14:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Look what I got in the mail

THIS IS FOR YOUR ATTENTION.

We wish to notify you again that you were listed as a beneficiary to the total sum of £10,600,000.00GBP (Ten Million Six Hundred Thousand British Pounds) in the codicil and last testament of the deceased. (Name now withheld since this is our second letter to you). We contacted you because you bear the surname identity and therefore can present you as the beneficiary to the inheritance.

Now what do I want to buy - a Few Shelby's, A few Humvees & a Bentley.
Old 10th April 2008, 14:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

dont know about others, but when I got a call from club mahindra, i attended a 1 hour gyan session and at the end of it said I am not interested and got a 2night, 3 day free stay in Munnar. Please read my recent travelouge.
Old 10th April 2008, 14:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Look what I got in the mail

THIS IS FOR YOUR ATTENTION.

We wish to notify you again that you were listed as a beneficiary to the total sum of £10,600,000.00GBP (Ten Million Six Hundred Thousand British Pounds) in the codicil and last testament of the deceased. (Name now withheld since this is our second letter to you). We contacted you because you bear the surname identity and therefore can present you as the beneficiary to the inheritance.

Now what do I want to buy - a Few Shelby's, A few Humvees & a Bentley.
Hey, haven't you received those mails from some teenager girl from Africa who is living in abject poverty and has just found out about a huge inheritance from a forgotten relative. She thinks you are the only person she can trust in this whole wide world since her lawyers have done a due diligence of you and found you to be a thoroughly honest gentleman. So, she is going to trust you with her wealth. She can not receive the money in her account in the god-forsaken country she lives in, so, if you forward her your bank account details, she will transfer all the wealth into your account and you will even get a commission for your efforts.

Honestly, quite amusing. I loved reading through the story before I moved it to the bin.
Old 10th April 2008, 15:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

I think we are confusing Nigerian scam with this.

Holiday cos do give you the gift, but provided you buy there plans.
Old 10th April 2008, 16:01   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
dont know about others, but when I got a call from club mahindra, i attended a 1 hour gyan session and at the end of it said I am not interested and got a 2night, 3 day free stay in Munnar. Please read my recent travelouge.
Next time il go for this session , i know it happens in bombay somewhere. now i will wait for the call hahaha
Old 10th April 2008, 17:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

This has happened to me twice. The last call was from ING Vysya Insurance. They insisted that I take my wife too. After bribing her with Cadburys chocolate, I dragged her there. We sat through their presentation for 2 hours and walked away with a free gift voucher for 3 days and 2 nights stay in Goa. Sadly, I could not use it due to prior commitments. They tried their best to make me buy it. I just told them that I do not have money! End of conversation!!!

I still have another coupon which I earned in Goa. This coupon is for a one week stay in Goa or Bangkok. And is valid till Dec 2008. We again had to sit through a presentation for 2.5 hours about buying holiday time shares/ flats in some travel company. We heard the whole presentation and said NO!!! cheers:. Reason? No money!!!

I hope I will get some time off from work to use the coupon!!

Just sit through the presentation and walk away with the gift!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks