Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Would you give a lift to a stranger on a highway?
Yes 1 0.83%
No 85 70.83%
Maybe 34 28.33%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2008, 17:48   #31
Senior - BHPian

Usually won't. But once I had to make an exception for a old couple stranded on highway when it was raining heavily. (Wouldn't have felt good, if I had not helped them)
Old 25th June 2008, 17:54   #32
Senior - BHPian

Well i never give a lift to anyone unless back at home if the guys seem to have broken down their vehicle.

One piece of advice for guys who stop if they see a girl " Dont do that as there were cases in bangalore where a girl is used as a easy way to make people stop to rob them"
Old 25th June 2008, 17:56   #33
BHPian

I have never given lifts to strangers on the street, nor do i intend to. Also i have not faced exceptional cases till date.

O.T The guy getting the lift in the maruti ad is a friend's bro, who will also be appearing as a hero in a kannada movie shortly.
Old 25th June 2008, 20:55   #34
BANNED

I was on the other side last night. After some trouble broke out due to one of the Airport Cabs fatally knocking down someone, i was left stranded in god knows where after the cab driver took a diversion. He could not drive any further and had gone pale on hearing that cabs were being burnt. The control room could not help too. After a long time away from family didntwant to waste any time in getting home. Hopped on the road and started asking for a lift. A software engineer after dropping his parents was returning back, knew what was happening and promptly offered a lift. He dropped me right uptil my doorstep By the time i reached the Old airport road it was way past midnight.

I was blessed. Dont expect such behaviour from anyone in Bangalore. This city still has some good folks around. We exchanged numbers and i will surely someday return his help.

Last edited by Spitfire : 25th June 2008 at 20:56.
Old 26th June 2008, 10:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

we all say that we should not help but last year i had faced an accident on national highway mumbai gujarat in that case what to do?

What i did was i had reported the accident to near police station with the help of local villager. and then from police station got the mobile no. of toing van and got my car towed from there to mumbai.

i did not asked help from any of the car. but i asked the help from the villager, as i thought that they would be knowing the police station and other information.
Old 26th June 2008, 11:51   #36
Team-BHP Support

Gave a lift to the Toll Booth Manager from Nellore till Koyambedu Bus Stop Chennai.
Was a very interesting old man.

But this was a one off chance.

I however had a funny thing happen in Gooty when riding to Bangalore from Hyderabad.
This guy tried to sit on my bike as I stopped at a traffic junction.
Murmurring drop kardo please and some stuff llike that.
He learnt a few new words hyderabadi style.
Old 26th June 2008, 12:29   #37
BHPian

Not normally. Had a bad experience once years ago where a girl asked me for a lift. Gave her a lift & she asked for a loan! doropped her quickly at the next light & took off! Learnt my lesson pretty quick.
Old 27th June 2008, 00:19   #38
BHPian

No no no. Na munna na, you musn't talk to strangers or give them lifts even if they're scantily clad gals Watch 'The Hitcher' if you don't believe me. Once I'd taken a injured and stranded pup to the vet though
Old 27th June 2008, 00:50   #39
BHPian

The only instance I have given lift to (a group of) strangers was in a very remote place in Ladakh. I was returning from Hunder to Leh and on the road, there were a groups of monks (mostly childern aged between 10-15) walking along the road. The place was extremely remote and the road was built on the river bed itself. The children were going from one monastery to another, quite far off. They asked for a lift, we picked them up, around 6 in number, and dropped them off to the place, from where they can again walk up to the monastery.

It was a very nice experience, the children sang songs while they were travelling with us, shared their life experiences and thanked profusely as we dropped them and drove off.

In general, on the highway, I would generally not give a lift to anyone.
Old 27th June 2008, 01:20   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

I quite often see guys apparently hitching on the OMR (Chennai) and getting on people's bikes.

My wife says a driver can end up with no bike and no purse, after finding a knife at their throat. Is she exaggerating?

I used to give lifts in UK, years back. Even to some very rough-looking characters. One homeless guy, obviously in need of a bath, trying to get to the next town to see if he find a bed in a hostel on a sub-zero C night. Decent enough guy, though, just fallen on hard times. Never asked for anything, other than the lift, but I gave him five pounds and a spare tin of tobacco.

Only one real stunner of a girl, though --- and unfortunately, she didn't want to go very far with me
Old 27th June 2008, 01:40   #41
Senior - BHPian

A big NO
not in city not on highways
Never ask for a ride never give one I follow this rule for self
Old 27th June 2008, 03:01   #42
Team-BHP Support

loot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
If its a pretty young girl, maybe.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Only one real stunner of a girl, though --- and unfortunately, she didn't want to go very far with me
If a pretty girl's stranded alone on the highway, that's usually very bad news for the samaritan - or maybe I just watch too many movies!
Old 27th June 2008, 03:30   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
If its a pretty young girl, maybe.....
Pretty or not, Young or Old.....NO WAY in a million years. Had a horrible experience trying to drop off a friend in Vidyaranyapura and was attacked by a drunkard with stones. Fortunately the stone he hurled at us missed my car by a few inches. Thats when i decided, highway or city no stopping for strangers.
Old 27th June 2008, 06:31   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

I think you have gone far enough with one girl from london to chennai!
Old 27th June 2008, 09:52   #45
BHPian

Not on highways - but I have picked up strangers while on long drives, mostly in Kerala . Many of them were school kids waiting for buses to/from school, some of them were people at bus stops/junctions where i had stopped for directions .. I usually go by instinct ( dont know to what extent that may help ) - I have refused lifts on couple of occasions purely based on gut feel though.

But definitely not on deserted stretches on highways etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks