Team-BHP - Can afford to buy a bigger car, but cant
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Can afford to buy a bigger car, but cant (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/42344-can-afford-buy-bigger-car-but-cant.html)

As my signature shows, I'd love to own a safari, But every day i drive through the lane to my house, I feel that dream going away from me. The very things I want to reclaim , will end up being taken from me.

It was a narrow lane to begin with, they made a gutter to one of its sides, so reduced the useable area. then they unloaded gravel and sand to one side, and I've got to almost make my car wade through all that gravel and sand to reach home. the slabs the idiots are making are above road level :Frustrati

I feel I'll have to end up trading my indica turbo for a nano CRDi when its launched.

One day I was talking to one of my senior managers who drives around in an alto. Problem is , the road to his house is also JUST wide enough for an alto to go through. and the neighbours gave up even that much land very unwillingly.

So enough of my worries, how many of you can, and want to buy bigger cars , but cant because of reasons beyond your control ?

PS: reasons like family doesn't want a big car etc are not allowed. The reason must be something that's absolutely out of your hands

Ditto here. The widest and longest car that can make it into my house is the Palio. Very narrow lane (just 2 ft wider than a Swift) with a tight 90 degree turn leading to an even narrower lane to which my garage gate opens.

The garage is parallel to the narrow(er) lane, so I have to take a right into the garage when I'm entering the garage. The space inside the garage/driveway is also tight, so I have to go back exactly the way I came in. Grrrrrr...

buy a mini cooper or volvo C-30 if you want to buy something stylish. withe the rising fuel prices, you will thank me later :)

Take a parking space or garage on the wider roads near your house. Thats the only solution to own.

I also want to buy a car, can afford cost of the car and insurance. There are nice wide roads also.

But in Manhattan the day to day parking cost would itself kill me

In the area where I stay it is close to $35 a day with monthly passes available from $450 upwards. :Frustrati

And even after paying such high cost, when and why will I drive it in NYC, given the superb efficiency of underground subways?

So I have to be content on car rentals on weekends as of now.

Wow! Money can't buy a car!
Where is this world going to?

I consider myself fortunate to live in a house on a decently wide street and somehow,this has always been the no.1 priority when I choose properties . Nothing like a wide street.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous (Post 900494)

I consider myself fortunate to live in a house on a decently wide street and somehow,this has always been the no.1 priority when I choose properties . Nothing like a wide street.

I completely agree.

With people parking on roads without any sense, a wide street helps to keep blood pressure low. I always face issues with bikes/ cars parked irresponsibly on my road with decent width.

Quote:

greenhorn :
* ... they made a gutter to one of its sides,
* ... then they unloaded gravel and sand to one side, and I've got to almost make my car wade through all that gravel and sand to reach home.
* the slabs the idiots are making are above road level :Frustrati
Come to think of it : there's not much thinking for you to do. The truck will make short work of these. And you'll get home much more easily.

the gutter means the truck will land its wheels in it :( I barely avoid getting my wheels to fall into them.
another thing I missed was the haphazhard parking of autos , bikes, cars ( including a nearly dead tata estate ) all along the way

I so wanna buy a CR-V and that too a diesel but what holds me back is
My Street though big is not big enough to park it. and i can make it enter my garage, in all length, breadth and height ( considering its longer and wider than the octavia vRs)
and also I cant buy a CRV ictdi because in India Honda Doesnt sell one

Move. Move now before inflation makes it impossible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 900400)
It was a narrow lane to begin with, they made a gutter to one of its sides, so reduced the useable area. then they unloaded gravel and sand to one side, and I've got to almost make my car wade through all that gravel and sand to reach home. the slabs the idiots are making are above road level :Frustrati

Just Curious.. what did they unload sand and gravel from?? An Autorikshaw??

My dad says that teh current property boom has peaked ,and prices are stagnant. He says I should wait ... ( he timed our last land purchase right , so I think he might be onto something )

Quote:

Just Curious.. what did they unload sand and gravel from?? An Autorikshaw??
yep, The lorry comes only upto the entrance of the lane. from there, one of those three wheeler ape/piaggio lorries shuttles about to bring the sand

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous (Post 900494)

Well said sir, but you choose properties .. :Frustrati
And you still park one car on the road!

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn (Post 900740)
yep, The lorry comes only upto the entrance of the lane. from there, one of those three wheeler ape/piaggio lorries shuttles about to bring the sand

Novel way to transport sand eh?

we had to do something similar when we built our house as well..