Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2008, 15:51   #1
BHPian

Help! Car delivery before registration?

guys.
i want to know whether it is possible to get the delivery before registration.

the number which i have booked is like 3-4 weeks away,and i wanted to take the delivery on 25th july.

1>is it possible to drive on TC(trade certificate )no.for a few weeks??
2>>what can be done in such a case,dealer says that the TC no.is valid for only 2 days,and the fine for driving a non registered vehicle is
rs 5000
3>what about the insurance for the period,as i will not get the insurance for that period.
4>also if i can get the vehicle registered after 3-4 weeks after getting delivery.is there any penalty from the rto incase i dont get it registered within 2 days
any body who can provide with a solution to this problem.(in delhi::rto-sheik sarai)

thanks in advance

Last edited by ankit.jhamb : 22nd July 2008 at 15:58. Reason: pt. no 3 and 4 added
Old 22nd July 2008, 16:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

The trade certificate is valid for one month, BUT it is better to have a TEMP REGN done from the dealership, that way there is less of a chance of any challan. It is Illegal to drive a car without a TEMP registration.

Your dealer will take an undertaking from you in case you take delivery without regn. In which case all liability is yours in case of a mishap or cahllan etc.

Insurance can be got from day you take delivery. The cover note will say NEW CAR, alongwith the description of the car.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 22nd July 2008 at 16:05.
Old 22nd July 2008, 16:11   #3
BHPian

since both the delivery and registration is in delhi the temp no. cannot be provided.it is for cars purchased/registered in other states.

the dealer has specified that the insurance will not be valid in case of TC no.
Old 22nd July 2008, 16:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Insurance should be valid as it notes the engine number & chasis number, all of my vehicles(bikes & car) were fully insured at the time of delivery & I got the number after a few days only.

As about the original problem. If you fear that your car will be misused as a TD vehicle then take delivery & keep it parked till you get the number.
Old 22nd July 2008, 16:25   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I had driven my car to Nasik for registration with an insurance policy note. AFAIK, I believe the RTO will not register the car unless it is insured. Go on and take delivery. Just remember to get the permanent registration done well in time.
Old 22nd July 2008, 20:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

I was told by Skoda That the Registeration No. has to be done within 7 days.
The TC no. has been allotted to me and now i will go to get the new number plates and all stuff concerned tomorrow. it has been 2 weeks since i have taken delivery.
Old 23rd July 2008, 09:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankit.jhamb View Post
since both the delivery and registration is in delhi the temp no. cannot be provided.it is for cars purchased/registered in other states.

He is misleading you. The Insurance is valid if the premium cheque is encashed, and vehicle details are on the cover note.

When I got delivery of my Skoda in 2005, I just gave the dealer the cover note which said "New CAR - Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi", the car was registered in Delhi on this cover note.

Similarly I just got the cover note for the AUDI saying "new car AUDI 2.0 TDi", this car was registered in Gurgaon on the basis of the caover note & other relevant papers.

Are you wanting a VIP number ? Why do you wish to wait for 3 months for the regn ? Am sure you'd be aware that VIP number story is on hold in Delhi.

As for the car being used for TD, no way can they do that once you have paid for it. Ask them to cover the car & put it in stock yard or in the showroom as a display. Note the mileage, disconnect the battery.

Cheers
Old 23rd July 2008, 13:07   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
He is misleading you. The Insurance is valid if the premium cheque is encashed, and vehicle details are on the cover note.

When I got delivery of my Skoda in 2005, I just gave the dealer the cover note which said "New CAR - Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi", the car was registered in Delhi on this cover note.

Similarly I just got the cover note for the AUDI saying "new car AUDI 2.0 TDi", this car was registered in Gurgaon on the basis of the caover note & other relevant papers.

Are you wanting a VIP number ? Why do you wish to wait for 3 months for the regn ? Am sure you'd be aware that VIP number story is on hold in Delhi.

thanks for your reply
actually the dealer is new and doesnot have his own series.
i have booked 7400 which is 400nos away from current no.
the car has already arrived,and i want to take the delivery on friday .
the current nos going on is around 7000.and it will take around 3 weeks to reach 7400

now i want to know if he gives me a no. like DL 3 TC 07XX.CAN I DRIVE MY CAR FOR A PERIOD OF 15 -20 DAYS ON THIS NO.??

Last edited by ankit.jhamb : 23rd July 2008 at 13:08.
Old 23rd July 2008, 13:09   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
I was told by Skoda That the Registeration No. has to be done within 7 days.
The TC no. has been allotted to me and now i will go to get the new number plates and all stuff concerned tomorrow. it has been 2 weeks since i have taken delivery.

thanks abhinav,just wanted to know if you have got your car registered or not.(without any problem)

OT:HAVE ALSO PMed YOU.please check.
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's bull****. All my cars get numbers later (because my family prefers fancy numbers) and Insurance is valid from the day I hand over the cheque to the Insurance Company & obtain the cover note.

Quote:
now i want to know if he gives me a no. like DL 3 TC 07XX.CAN I DRIVE MY CAR FOR A PERIOD OF 15 -20 DAYS ON THIS NO.??
Yes you can. I drove my Honda on a Temp number for 3 months because the number I wanted was that far away! Just keep out of trouble (DUI, Speeding etc.) for this period though, the cops can give you a hard time to get more bribes out of you.
Old 23rd July 2008, 15:32   #11
BANNED

It is extremely unfortunate that the dealer (or his staff) do not know how to go about getting "special" aka fancy aka VIP numbers. You need a temp registration till your number is allotted. That is done when you apply for a temp registration. Have the proof of reserving the special number with you on the car, along with papers of the temp registration. And if the dealer is saying anything else, just get a temp registration, and contact your own RTO agent, unless you want to do the running around yourselves.

Period.

Edit:- are you confused between "TC" which comes with the car right from the factory, and Temporary registration, which is done by your dealer?

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 23rd July 2008 at 15:34.
Old 23rd July 2008, 17:08   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post

Edit:- are you confused between "TC" which comes with the car right from the factory, and Temporary registration, which is done by your dealer?

temp no. is issued only for cars to be registered outside delhi.

i know TC is from factory.and enquiring about TC IN THE ABOVE CASE.
Old 24th July 2008, 10:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

[quote=ankit.jhamb;912998]thanks for your reply
actually the dealer is new and doesnot have his own series.
i have booked 7400 which is 400nos away from current no.
the car has already arrived,and i want to take the delivery on friday .
the current nos going on is around 7000.and it will take around 3 weeks to reach 7400

You can drive your car on the DL 3 TC number, this is valid for a period of one month.

Even if that overshoots, which it may (smart cards take about 15 days minimum), it's not too much of a problem (unless) a cop gets you & gets nasty about it

Cheers
Old 24th July 2008, 20:42   #14
BANNED

Please refer to this link from the Department of Road Transport and Highways. The link is a table of contents to pdf files about the relevant central Rules. Gaps in the Central Rules are filled by the relevant state rules - the Delhi Motor Vehicles Rules, in your case. This (pdf file) is the link of Delhi Motor Vehicles Rules.

According to the Delhi rules, a temp registration should be displayed in red background in yellow letters. And a dealer is not supposed to deliver a vehicle on trade certificate.

Now, take your decision.
Old 25th July 2008, 10:55   #15
BHPian

the section 34(C) says that it will only be issued in case where the vehicle is registered in outside delhi.

my vehicle delivery has been now postponed to 6th august

Last edited by ankit.jhamb : 25th July 2008 at 11:01. Reason: font removed

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks