Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Any avid anglers on tbhp ?
Yes. One of my favourite sports/hobbies/pastimes. 14 28.00%
No. Yucks. I would rather work on my car/bike. 5 10.00%
Well, never done it. But would like to try it one day. 31 62.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2009, 22:29   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Do they stock/sell Shimano spares too ? I needed a 6' Shimano rod.
supremeBaleno, 6.6 foot shimano rod is available for Rs 1600, have a look at bangalorefishing.com
Old 2nd October 2011, 13:59   #32
BHPian

re: The Team-BHP fishing / anglers thread. Any avid anglers out here?

Hi guys,
M. Where in chennai do you guys go fishing? Are you guys regular? I am interested in it too? We can plan something in the coming weeks. Where do you get the equipments in chennai??
Old 3rd October 2011, 11:33   #33
Senior - BHPian

@Gocool2007, esteem_lovers mentions a few places in Chennai in the previous page, that you could try for fishing. I have never fished in Chennai - do it in Kerala where I spend most of my weekends.

@kodava, that's some nice catch there. Awesome !!!
Old 20th July 2012, 08:14   #34
BHPian

Anglers,

Need you suggestion , I want to gift a fishing Rod to a Professor of mine , who is a avid angler. I am searching for one , but most of them seem to expensive, I also wrote to few of the Rod manufacturers here in India , though cheap of about 300 INR , min order quantity is 3-5 . I also looked at a portable kind at Decathlon Bangalore @500 INR , which would suit him perfectly to carry around, but It's just a rod , with no reel guides or a tip. If not a rod what else can I gift him, what about different types of hook kit , will that be of any use for him. He fishes in North Karnataka area. So I experts some suggestions please.
Old 20th July 2012, 11:01   #35
Senior - BHPian

What kit does he use now ? It would help to identify discreetly what he is missing in the current kit and get that. I know its tough to get this info, but the best gift is something that the recipient wants and not about the money.

A hook-kit with plastic bait in different sizes and shapes came with the Shimano rod/reel that I got as a gift. However, I never had much success with those plastic bait - maybe the Indian fishes are more street-smart (water-smart?) and can see through the bait. But then I have not really had much success with the Shimano even with live bait - maybe I am not using it correctly. Till date I have got just one fish with it, while I have snagged many with the DIY fishing rod.

This thread became active at a great time. Last week we rode to a place near my home where a new bridge has been built over the river. We had earlier visited the place many time when there was only a ferry to go across. While standing on the bridge I was amazed to see big fishes (1.5 feet long) jumping around in the water. So tomorrow plan to go down and try my luck.
Old 22nd July 2012, 18:31   #36
BHPian

Quote:
What kit does he use now ? It would help to identify discreetly what he is missing in the current kit and get that. I know its tough to get this info, but the best gift is something that the recipient wants and not about the money.

This thread became active at a great time. Last week we rode to a place near my home where a new bridge has been built over the river. We had earlier visited the place many time when there was only a ferry to go across. While standing on the bridge I was amazed to see big fishes (1.5 feet long) jumping around in the water. So tomorrow plan to go down and try my luck.
Hi SupremeBaleno,

Apologies for the late reply , he does not have a kit as such, just reel wrapped around a plastic box, which he carries around with him, He does not have any special type of hooks either. I'd appreciate if you can recommend something.

He always asks me to accompany him on his trips , , but have been putting it off.

Going OT, He recently met with a very serious accident with a truck, miraculously survived with the truck dragging him in it's front tire and not going over him. He has made a full recovery and it was his birthday today.

And do please post the details of the recent fishing trip.
Old 23rd July 2012, 16:14   #37
Senior - BHPian

Chanced upon this thread

I've done the 'local angling' when I was a kid back in my home town, near Calicut, using the same method S_B described in the first post. Even have used safety pin as a hook - it was easy finding earthworms in our place. And once in school too, I and my friend, who had a French make fishing rod went fishing in the lotus ponds near Nagercoil and caught three tiny fishes. That was so so long ago!!

This thread revives my interest in angling - but my question is about licenses required for angling in the rivers and ponds. Any special permits required?
Old 24th July 2012, 14:01   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho
he does not have a kit as such, just reel wrapped around a plastic box, which he carries around with him, He does not have any special type of hooks either.
Since his current setup is very basic, I think you have a range of options - a rod/reel combo or maybe a bait/hook kit etc. Someone on this thread mentioned a store in Blore that would have these. In US, it is so easy - drop in at the local BassPro store or even the neighborhood Walmart. Shopping (not just for sports items) is such a pleasure in the US, in terms of the range available, the dedicated stores, the actual in-store experience etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho
And do please post the details of the recent fishing trip.
Hmm. An hour in the sun spent as a lesson in patience, would sum it up. The small fish would eat away the bait as soon as I put the line in water. My son accompanied me thinking it is going to be fun with us reeling in lots of fishes. Finally he was bored and said, "Dad, let's go home. On the way we can buy some fish at the market and tell Mom that we caught them".

I don't really mind not catching any fish, but what is embarassing is all the folks passing by stopping and asking about the fancy equipment, its cost, operation etc and there not being even a single fish to show for all the hype created by the fancy gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli
my question is about licenses required for angling in the rivers and ponds. Any special permits required?
Unlike the West where special fishing licenses are required, I don't think the public water-bodies like ponds/rivers (atleast in Kerala) need any license.
Old 24th July 2012, 15:04   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last week we rode to a place near my home where a new bridge has been built over the river. We had earlier visited the place many time when there was only a ferry to go across. While standing on the bridge I was amazed to see big fishes (1.5 feet long) jumping around in the water. So tomorrow plan to go down and try my luck.
Where is this place ? Sounds like kerala, not chennai.
Old 24th July 2012, 16:41   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Unlike the West where special fishing licenses are required, I don't think the public water-bodies like ponds/rivers (atleast in Kerala) need any license.
I downloaded the THE KERALA INLAND FISHERIES AND AQUACULTURE ACT. 2010 and here are the relevant sections. License is required for fishing. More than the law, I think we should not run foul with the local agencies who have taken the license to fish in a particular river/reservoir for commercial purposes

"5. Restriction on fishing.—
{1) Subject to the provisions of this Act and the rules made thereunder,
Government may, by notification in the Gazette, limit or restrict or prohibit catching of any species of
fish in the manner and for the period as may be prescribed, in any area notified for this purpose.

(2) No person shall, except in accordance with the terms and conditions of a license granted by
the authorised officer for the purpose as provided in Chapter IV of this Act catch any fish or any species
of fish from any area notified under sub-section (1):

Provided that the power of granting license for fishing in the water body under the custody of Local
Self Government Institutions shall be vested with the concerned Local Self Government Institution:
Provided further that necessary recommendation of the officer of the Fisheries Department as
specified in sub-section (2) of section 3 is necessary for issuing license by the Local Self Government
Institutions as provided in the first proviso."

And the relevant portions of chapter IV of this act is given below

"CHAPTER IV
REGISTRATION AND GRANT OF LICENCE
11. Use of fishing vessel or free net or fixed gear without registration.—(1) No person shall use or
cause to use or permit any fishing vessel or free net or fixed gear for the purpose of fishing activities
unless he has a certificate of registration obtained in accordance with the provisions of this Act and the
Rules made thereunder.
(2) No person shall engage in aquaculture or filtration in inland water bodies except with a
certificate of registration obtained in accordance with the provisions of this Act and the Rules made
thereunder."

I've attached the act here (from what I've read, the area notified means all the public water bodies)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fishing Regulations Kerala.pdf (143.1 KB, 3334 views)
Old 25th July 2012, 12:37   #41
Senior - BHPian

^^^ You are right, every public water body is contracted by some agency for commercial purposes even if they are not, the fisheries department issues licenses to fish in the other places. Have always got the license whenever we fished in Ooty lake, Pycara lake.
Old 25th July 2012, 13:29   #42
BHPian

Wow nice thread. We still do this DIY equipped fishing during rains in Goa. Catching crabs using this method is awesome fun
Old 31st July 2012, 16:33   #43
Senior - BHPian

@mallumowgli, thanks for posting the pdf - was helpful. However, after a cursory read of the pdf, I do not see any reference to fishing using fishing-rods, while they specifically mention the other types that require a license like free net, fixed gear and fishing vessels.
1) fishing vessel (boat or trawler etc)
2) free net - nets other than the fixed chinese nets
3) fixed gear - chinese fishing nets

We have a plot adjoining the Achenkoil river, which would be ideal for fishing without having to answer curious bystanders or worry about the embarassment of not having any fish to show for the time spent fishing. Till last week the whole place was overrun with weeds / bamboos / other growth. Last weekend spent some 4 hours clearing away the shrubs / bamboos to carve out a place to stand and fish without worrying about snakes etc. And since the spot has shade from the bamboos leaning over the river, I am assuming it must be a cool hangout for the fishes.. If so, I might be lucky when I go fishing this weekend there. Will update snaps of the spot later.
Old 17th August 2012, 17:16   #44
Senior - BHPian

^^^Well, tried out the spot adjoining the river and while it is indeed a cool place to fish (the bamboos shelter you from the sun), the fish seem to not think of it as a cool hangout.
Spent close to an hour there with no luck. Infact fish were not even biting - except for the small teeeny ones which just snip at the wriggly worm on the hook.

But then we tried another place - a private pond at a friend's home and there we were lucky and caught 3 fishes - 2 smallish and one reasonably big (close to a kg) and the biggest to ever be caught with this fishing rod. Actually the rod was flexing with the weight of this fish and the stock string did not seem tough. So replaced the string with thicker variety.

The 1st fish we caught - locally called Kallaamutti or Kaidakora.
The Team-BHP fishing / anglers thread. Any avid anglers out here?-20120812-13.33.32opti.jpg

My friend trying his hand at fishing using a DIY fishing-road at the pond we fished in.
The Team-BHP fishing / anglers thread. Any avid anglers out here?-20120812-13.40.02opti.jpg

The 2nd one we caught. Locally called Mushi - this guy has to be handled carefully as he has sharp horns/appendages on his head. Is not as big as seen in the snap.
The Team-BHP fishing / anglers thread. Any avid anglers out here?-20120812-14.02.14opticut.jpg

Now that we knew fishes are plenty here, my friends ready another equipment called Koodu to catch fish.
The Team-BHP fishing / anglers thread. Any avid anglers out here?-20120812-14.11.26opti.jpg

The 3rd fish and the biggest ever to be caught by the Shimano gear. Locally called Varaalu and considered a delicacy.
The Team-BHP fishing / anglers thread. Any avid anglers out here?-20120812-16.28.23opti.jpg

Another interesting character that was also caught.
The Team-BHP fishing / anglers thread. Any avid anglers out here?-20120812-18.21.53opti.jpg
In local parlance it is called an Odathala - (not sure what its English is - not to be confused with the eel). This looks like a snake - long slithery body with a head like that of a snake's and it also hisses and twists around like a snake. Most people don't eat it due to this similarity to a snake, but it is apparently a delicacy with some and also said to have medicinal properties for specific illnesses.

Good way to spend a Sunday afternoon !!!

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 17th August 2012 at 17:18.
Old 21st September 2012, 13:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

Even though I'm bit of an outdoor person, angling had never crossed my mind until I started to watch River Monsters.

Since then, I was always glued to the screen whenever it comes up and realized that this something I should try sometime (not in that huge a scale).

At the moment, I don't have any gear or know-how, but is really interested in getting both asap.

Any angling spots in or around Trivandrum?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks