Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Any avid anglers on tbhp ?
Yes. One of my favourite sports/hobbies/pastimes. 14 28.57%
No. Yucks. I would rather work on my car/bike. 5 10.20%
Well, never done it. But would like to try it one day. 30 61.22%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2012, 16:30   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: The Team-BHP fishing / anglers thread. Any avid anglers out here?

@SB - that was a great way to spend a holiday. The koodu has become synthetic now. I remember them as being made of Coconut palm leaves and they used to have sticks inside in the reverse direction to prevent fish from escaping back.

Actually I am looking for like minded guys around here in Palakkad for forming some club (some sort of nature club) - but all the middle aged guys here are well...typical middle aged-make money-eat-sleep kind of people. As such people give me weird look when I walk off alone into forests or such places. Am sure they will pelt stones at me if I go around with a fishing rod!!
Old 22nd May 2013, 14:32   #47
BHPian

re: The Team-BHP fishing / anglers thread. Any avid anglers out here?

Reviving this thread

I am an active angler and go fishing every week. Earlier it was once in a week, but recently it is twice a week. I primarily do shore fishing from breakwaters and occasionally do fishing from boat. Earlier I used to fish using bait, now it is mainly using lures targeting predatory species. I am planning to carry my tackle when I am visiting Kerala in August.

Below are some pics of the fish I have caught in UAE.

This was during my last vacation in Kerala.
The Team-BHP fishing / anglers thread. Any avid anglers out here?-india.jpg

My first King Mackerel (Neimeen/Aikoora)
The Team-BHP fishing / anglers thread. Any avid anglers out here?-king.jpg

Spangled Emperor
The Team-BHP fishing / anglers thread. Any avid anglers out here?-sheri.jpg

Queen Fish
The Team-BHP fishing / anglers thread. Any avid anglers out here?-img20130427wa0002.jpg

Orange Spotted Trevally
The Team-BHP fishing / anglers thread. Any avid anglers out here?-ost1.jpg

The Team-BHP fishing / anglers thread. Any avid anglers out here?-ost2.jpg

Blubber Lip Snapper
The Team-BHP fishing / anglers thread. Any avid anglers out here?-snapper.jpg

A group picture with my fishing buddies
The Team-BHP fishing / anglers thread. Any avid anglers out here?-group.jpg
jaguar.runs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2020, 13:27   #48
Senior - BHPian

Fishing enthusiasts in Bangalore

Starting this thread to see if there are Bangalore based fishing enthusiasts BHPians

I am from Kerala and is used to old way of fishing using rod and line and yet to graduate to new age reel and imported rods, catch and release etc. Due to lack of awareness fishing spots and various other reasons, I am yet to try my fishing in Bangalore. I tried fishing forums, but found them not active in Bangalore area. If this thread helps in bringing likeminded people together and there are veterans to guide, hope we can plan wonderful fishing trips together

Eagerly waiting to hear from others
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2020, 12:17   #49
BHPian

Re: Fishing enthusiasts in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post

I am from Kerala and is used to old way of fishing using rod and line and yet to graduate to new age reel and imported rods, catch and release etc.
I have a question on Decathlon Fishing rods - I want to gift one to my uncle who is now starting to fish but am not able to figure if these are good. Does anyone have any experience with them or other entry level rods?
Old 24th June 2020, 11:20   #50
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fishing enthusiasts in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
I have a question on Decathlon Fishing rods - I want to gift one to my uncle who is now starting to fish but am not able to figure if these are good. Does anyone have any experience with them or other entry level rods?
I may not be the best guy to comment since my experience is mostly with traditional home made rods. Neither I have seen too many fishing enthusiasts in BHP to advice and the thread is been not very active.
Old 30th June 2020, 18:13   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Which one are you planning to buy ? Please post a pic or link.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2020, 21:34   #52
BHPian

Re: The Team-BHP fishing / anglers thread. Any avid anglers out here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Which one are you planning to buy ? Please post a pic or link.
Thanks! I Was looking at this one https://www.decathlon.in/p/8401141/f...-fishing-combo
Old 9th July 2020, 11:41   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish
This looks like the ones with reel & used for casting/throwing, which enables to cast the line further away increasing the possibility of better reach & catch.
But it does require knowing how to throw / cast the line. If he knows how, then obviously a good option. Else, tutorials available online.

Also Shimano is considered a good brand in reels. But Decathlon usually has only their own brand as in this one - I personally don't know how good or bad it is. Googling might help there.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 9th July 2020 at 11:46.
Old 3rd January 2022, 18:36   #54
avk
BHPian

Angling spots near Bangalore

During the lifting of curbs in the first lockdown, I bought some fishing gears - rods, reels, lures etc. I was watching all those fishing channels before taking the plunge for making this into a hobby.

I am based out of Bangalore and my fishing expeditions (as I call it) has all been to water bodies near my hometown in Trivandrum. The primary reason is that I spent most of my time during the WFH period in the last 1+ years in and around Trivandrum.

Tried my luck in lakes, rivers and the sea. Many such expeditions didn't hook any fish but it was an experience in itself.

I want to explore angling in lakes/rivers near to Bangalore. Possibly within a drive distance of <2hrs or >2hrs if there are aplenty fish to catch

Starting off this thread to understand the experience of any angler bhpians out there and suggestions on where to try angling near Bangalore with good fishing spots if there at all.
avk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 12:23   #55
Senior - BHPian

Re: Angling spots near Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk View Post

I want to explore angling in lakes/rivers near to Bangalore. Possibly within a drive distance of <2hrs or >2hrs if there are aplenty fish to catch

Starting off this thread to understand the experience of any angler bhpians out there and suggestions on where to try angling near Bangalore with good fishing spots if there at all.
I too have Zero angling experience in Bangalore/Karnataka and comes with a background of country style rod fishing in Kerala. It will be interesting to meet and go out with experiences anglers in Bangalore
Old 4th January 2022, 13:00   #56
BHPian

Quote:
I too have Zero angling experience in Bangalore/Karnataka and comes with a background of country style rod fishing in Kerala. It will be interesting to meet and go out with experiences anglers in Bangalore
Just by general knowledge and after booking for a US colleague of mine who was an avid angler, Bheemeshwari on river Cauvery has a fishing camp for the famous Masheer fish, this is not very far from Bangalore and could be a good option as its run by Jungle lodges.
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 14:35   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Just by general knowledge and after booking for a US colleague of mine who was an avid angler, Bheemeshwari on river Cauvery has a fishing camp for the famous Masheer fish, this is not very far from Bangalore and could be a good option as its run by Jungle lodges.
Thanks, If I am not wrong, JLR Bheemeshwari stopped offering the fishing facility few years back. And Mahasheer is for the professionals to catch and release, I am more like a catch and eat person
Old 4th January 2022, 19:53   #58
avk
BHPian

Quote:
I bought two fishing rods - 6 ft and 8 ft with reels and lures. Still an amateur angler. Had caught few karimeen and other small fishes in the past 1 year. Yet to hook a >1kg fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Bheemeshwari on river Cauvery has a fishing camp for the famous Masheer fish
I had read about Mahseer after I came across it in one of the fishing youtube videos - blue fin mahseer fishing in Kerala. And then read about Tata's conservation efforts of the golden fin.

Quote:
Thanks, If I am not wrong, JLR Bheemeshwari stopped offering the fishing facility few years back. And Mahasheer is for the professionals to catch and release, I am more like a catch and eat person
It's a dwindling species and have read about catch & release only. I like to catch, cook and eat as well

Tried to google for recent experiences of angling spots around Bangalore but didn't find anything recent.
avk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 14:26   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk View Post

I like to catch, cook and eat as well
Good reason to team up for a common target

Waiting for advise from experts in the Bangalore region. Coorg I hear is a good place, but many part require a license and can be catch and release
Old 5th January 2022, 15:31   #60
Senior - BHPian

In August 2021 while visiting Kodi Delta Point, I saw number of people angling at Kodi Sea Walk. Anglers were not using rods but some of them had 2 - 3 hooks attached to the main line. Mackerel was a common catch there.

I saw anglers in the area marked red in the map.

The Team-BHP fishing / anglers thread. Any avid anglers out here?-kbdp.png

The Team-BHP fishing / anglers thread. Any avid anglers out here?-kbdp1.jpg

Catch by one of the anglers in about 2 hours.

The Team-BHP fishing / anglers thread. Any avid anglers out here?-kbgp2.jpg

Last edited by airbus : 5th January 2022 at 15:47.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks