Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2008, 17:29   #31
BHPian

Among the all European countries, UK is the most livable place for Indians

Not only they speak English but also even common people are aware of some Indian culture. They are also more tolerant to immigrants than other European countries.

But then every place has its pros & cons.
Old 5th August 2008, 18:46   #32
Senior - BHPian

being an immigrant also needs a big change in one's life. One also needs to sacrifice many things, and be ready to adjust to the laws and conventiones of the new place.

I can't find the link, but there was a study (americans do a lot of studies ) which said that indians immigrants are most resistant to change.

i mean, if you did not want to change, why go to a place with a different culture altogether?
Old 5th August 2008, 19:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

The english weather can be really depressing or so I have heard from my friends which have lived there for considerable time. You only enjoy the place for a month or so, they say and after that its just a long wait to come back home.
I might experience it in the near future but I know I will love the discipline these people follow in their daily lives.

@Mods.... We need a spell checker in here
Old 5th August 2008, 19:41   #34
Senior - BHPian

Guess its same with most, atleast with the friends whom i know... guess the best way is to saty busy, make lots of friends and dont be idle thats when you start thinking.. missing etc

extrem_torque, if you use latest version of fire fox it has spell check incorporated in it

Last edited by lohithrao : 5th August 2008 at 19:47. Reason: Spelling;)
Old 5th August 2008, 19:43   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
Among the all European countries, UK is the most livable place for Indians

Not only they speak English but also even common people are aware of some Indian culture. They are also more tolerant to immigrants than other European countries.
I guess you have not been to Ireland!
A far better place than UK!
I heard even Netherlands is a nice place!

Also rascism is more in UK, outwardly the people appear very nice & gentle, but inside their hearts they would be abusing the immigrants!
Old 5th August 2008, 19:58   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
@Mods.... We need a spell checker in here
We already have it. Look at the 3rd button from the right top corner of this edit window.
Old 5th August 2008, 20:11   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Racisim does exist in UK, yes, although to a tiny extent compared to, eg, forty years ago. But there are extremists, and they can be offensive or even dangerous. It is more likely to be found in the more remote or rural areas, too, where people are simply unused to regularly seeing non-whites aprt from the owners of the local Indian and Chinese restaurants, who often have lonely lives. I guess that immigration is also a political pawn in many others; it certainly is in UK.

I don't think Brits are 'disciplined' --- I think we are downtrodden, by bus lanes and speed cameras and stupid security guards telling us it is illegal to use our cameras.

Some of the stuff, in comparing to India, is as much education and awareness as discipline. Like motorcyclists are generally reasonably aware of the possible consequences of bad driving without a helmet and full gear; here, I don't think it crosses anybody's mind. Even if they did memorise a heap of stuff (which I've forgotten) about potential energy and dynamic forces in physics, they do not relate that to their baby being held in one arm on the back of a bike.

But when the traffic, in three lanes, comes to a halt, nobody (except the bikes) squeezes through, makes into four, or even five lanes, inches forward, etc --- so when the traffic stops it stops. In many ways I prefer the Indian way: I'd rather drive in Chennai than London.

Of course I have a more balanced view of my country than all this! There's plenty I like too; just its easier to think of the things that helped balance my decision towards leaving.

Suffice it to say that, if I could afford it, I would have a home in both countries and, even without, I still wish I was rich enough to spend a month or two a year there.
Old 5th August 2008, 20:45   #38
BHPian

On the topic of traffic discipline, when I was in UK, on one of the first days, I remember a bunch of cars stopped in a lane one behind another while I stood on the pavement to cross once the road gets clear. I was blissfully unaware they were all waiting for me to cross, while the driver in the first car was signalling to me frantically to start walking!

Last edited by Glass : 5th August 2008 at 20:46.
Old 5th August 2008, 21:44   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

It's a game they play: they all start as soon as you start to cross! On my brief visits to Paris, what I found freaky was that the definition of giving way to pedestrians was driving around them --- so the traffic doesn't stop. but you still get across. Weird.
Old 5th August 2008, 22:13   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
We already have it. Look at the 3rd button from the right top corner of this edit window.
Never noticed guess its a usability issue
Old 5th August 2008, 22:19   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It's a game they play: they all start as soon as you start to cross!
OMG, you are kidding me!
If it is a game, it requires a lot of coordination!
Old 6th August 2008, 00:33   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

There are far worse ones for the driver: a favourite is timing the green light so it turns back to red just as soon as you have engaged first and almost finished letting the clutch out.

London traffic is managed to try to prevent people actually driving there.

Buses, on the other hand, although they cannot ignore signals and kill people with quite the impunity that Chennai busdrivers can, are favoured by free flowing lanes reserved especially for them (and taxis, which are an elite, luxury form of travel for the small minority that can afford them).

Oh, it's awful driving there!
Old 6th August 2008, 00:55   #43
Team-BHP Support

verdad? ... now I've jumped across the pond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
I can't find the link, but there was a study (americans do a lot of studies ) which said that indians immigrants are most resistant to change.
Speaking from my personal experiences - Indians attempt to assimliate into the different lifestyle and strive to maintain their traditional values. This works it's way through generations.
Surprisingly, I've found more Indianised youngsters in the U.S., than my parents, possibly, would have ever hoped me to be - being born and brought up in India. Kids, teenagers, adolescents, speaking fluently in their native tongues, respecting their culture, and even so, not being a social outcast with their American peers and colleagues.

The study, would probably have held more weight from the late 70's to the early 90's, when migrating from India was still a fairly new idea, and traditional Indian parents were reluctant to give their offspring up to this strange and new concept of an independant (free?) lifestyle.

On the other hand I've met a number of wannabes who think they're as American as mashed potatoes and apple pie, the moment they're granted a VISA to the US, but this quality isn't limited to Indians alone but spreads out to other cultures as well.

However, Immigrants most resistant to change, culture-wise mainly, would include the Chinese and the South American immigrants; this quality too mainly resides with the older generations - the younger generations easily accept their natural environment.

What I mean to say is - Indian first generation parents are more liberal as compared to their Chinese or South American, or even certain European counterparts.

This isn't a rule, just some of my observations. There are always exceptions to the examples I've mentioned.

Last edited by aah78 : 6th August 2008 at 00:59. Reason: edit.
Old 6th August 2008, 01:14   #44
Senior - BHPian

I think i was referring to this.

Indian immigrants slow to assimilate: Study

and I agree, there are both sides to the coin.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks