Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2008, 13:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

So what is your Reason for not fixing your car?

Well about three weeks back a Zen rear ended my car, the damage was bad dented rear bumper from left end corner( just 1\6th of bumper is damaged rest all is intact) & the part where the bumper join is dented badly.

I took it to the service guy & he quotes me 1 week for repairs after approval from Insurance as it will require:

- Bumper replacement
- Denting
- Painting of body & bumper

Now going by my past experience & what I have observed with friend's the time taken is atleast 2-3 days more than what is claimed by the service guy.

I am one of those(or used to be before this incident) who would get his car fixed ASAP as I hate to see my baby in bad shape but in this case I took a different decision.

The reasons are:

- There are no operational issues with car due to the accident
- The road where the accident took place is highly prone for such rear endings in rains(daily atleast 5-6 cars get banged on that patch during rains)

- other reasons:

Now I daily travel 17 kms one way for Office & drop my wife on the way & pick her back in evening so a total of 34-35 kms. Normally when it doesnt rain both of us use our two wheelers but in rains we travel by car

Since the distance is long rain coats are useless & we dont want to sit wet in office

- The auto charges for wifey & I(provided we travel together) would be atleast Rs 300 daily.

So I have decided to wait till the rains get over & then get the car fixed.

I always wondered at people who didn't get their cars fixed as soon as damages happen & at times even ridiculed them but after facing such a situation I realize that at times there are some genuine reasons as well.

So whats your reason guys
Old 8th August 2008, 13:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

Have a small dent on the left side rear door.

I like that dent its very nice.
Dont intend to fix it.
Old 8th August 2008, 13:31   #3
BHPian

I have a dent on the roof of the car since Sept 07, it on the left side an the edge of the back glass (missed the glass my a couple of cms).

This happened due to a coconut fall at my In-laws place; as its not visible and also i needed the car for weekend travel out of town, I did not want to leave the car at the garage for 2-3 days and this remained as is since then.
Old 8th August 2008, 13:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have a few minor scratches on the front & rear bumpers & right hand side doors. Not very noticeable. Not planning to get them fixed as it's simply not worth getting them repaired and somebody scratching them again.

Also my fog lamps aren't working and haven't been for close to a month. That's due to sheer laziness!
Old 8th August 2008, 13:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Small dents and small niggles are a way of life in metros and so many times our family lives and corporate slavery doesnt permit us to address these small things ASAP.

But for anything else which can ruin other things in vehicle or my driving experience i usually make it a point to address it as soon it happens.

Anything major keeps hanging around your neck like an albatros,so it has to dealt with fast to feel good again.
Old 8th August 2008, 13:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

I have a bent bonet,due to a tree branch fall and my dad accidently scraped a truch from left hand side and have deep scratch,I feel that some dents should be there on the car it looks like you use the car often hehehehehe i am not in a hurry to get that stuff done
Old 8th August 2008, 14:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Parting a car for service in rainy season can be pain & hence a valid reason for delaying the repairs.

Have a small dent on bonnet, possibly due to flying stone from vehicle ahead. Have decided to leave it like that.
Old 8th August 2008, 14:42   #8
Team-BHP Support

Have a cracked windshield on my car. With no immediate long distance trips planned, decided to leave it as it is for the time being.

Quote:
OT: IIRC, told you to get it changed months ago - or is this a fresh one?
Same old one, Suman. Will claim NCB this year, and then change it.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 8th August 2008 at 14:45.
Old 8th August 2008, 14:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Have a cracked windshield on my car. With no immediate long distance trips planned, decided to leave it as it is for the time being.
OT: IIRC, told you to get it changed months ago - or is this a fresh one?
Old 8th August 2008, 14:58   #10
BHPian

I got a dent 1 week after i bought the car, broke the tail lamp glass(a small hole) when the car was 1 month old, and along with that my heart too. So now living with it.
I think i'll get everything fixed at the first anniversary
Old 8th August 2008, 15:18   #11
rippergeo

mostly, its because i cant find the time off work and studies to be with the car while its being fixed. i'm the paranoid type and dont trust workshops.
So far, had no major bodywork or dentwork required, that helps too.

if there is something compromising the performace of the car in anyway, that gets fixed immediately. no waiting for a day off work.

Old 8th August 2008, 15:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Generally for dents, i dont wait long enough as i somehow cannot see my ride with it. However, thanks to moronic 2 wheelers who made some slight scratches and i need to get those touched up but am waiting to get those done when i plan to get the bumpers and side skirts done as it gives me a reason to upgrade
Old 8th August 2008, 15:35   #13
BHPian

Hi All,

Thanks to a stupid two wheelers who made a scratch on my beast's front bumper, I guess my reason is simply down to laziness and the cloudy weather that makes me postpone the paint job to next weekend that's yet to come.

Regards,
Sajan

Last edited by sajands : 8th August 2008 at 15:36. Reason: had to remove the tags
Old 8th August 2008, 15:37   #14
Senior - BHPian

Scratched windshield: Not bothersome right now. Isn't as distracting. Not in immediate line of sight.
AC servicing due: Wheather has been kind in Delhi these days. No need for AC right now. So postponed.
Tire change: 40k kms done. Thinking of tire change/upgrade. Might do this tomorrow.
Old 8th August 2008, 15:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

My reason is that without my primary transport I am stuck! Have got a good dent in the right back side (door and above wheel) due to a TN state transport vehicle driver who went nuts!

Have been putting it off for a very long time.

To add to it, got a coconut falling and causing a dent in the office parking space!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
... I guess my reason is simply down to laziness and the cloudy weather that makes me postpone the paint job to next weekend that's yet to come...
Week after week after week, it is still 'next week'!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks