Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2008, 19:26   #1
BHPian

Driving towards your inner-self

I have been thinking about this since quite sometime but I never voiced my opinion about it, thinking it’s not too relevant.

However I feel it’s not too irrelevant also, I am sure most of you might not find this article interesting, but I hope there would be few (or very few) who would understand what I mean.

Let me begin now.

I started driving many years ago, my father taught me to drive in his own Maruti 800 car which he loved dearly. But since he wanted me to be independent and he didn’t trust the professional driving schools, he decided he will teach me on his own. That was a stressful time, because my dad had less patience for my mistakes and I was desperate to learn. I loved the feeling of driving a car on my own, I had seen women driving on the TV and I simply loved the way they would just make their machine follow their commands. Looking back at it now, I cherish those days of sweat. Earlier when I learnt driving it was just a means to commute, without being dependent on anyone. But with time I realized it’s much more than that.

Today, I find that driving helps me discover my own inner self to me.
In my daily routine I don’t drive long distances; it’s rather a very short distance that involves a 20-25 minutes drive during peak traffic hours.

There are days when I hate the traffic around me, but such days are very few. I mostly love to be out driving, I would say simply driving and watching the world around me. The world that’s full of different kinds of people, some who are in 2 wheelers when the weather is harsh, some in expensive cars wearing international brands, some who are walking and some begging.

Over the years it has made me calm, and helped me become a better individual.

There are times when I am upset, and I leave home in a bad mood. But when I sit down in my car and place my hands on the steering wheel I feel my world is in control. And I am the one who is controlling it. This makes me feel so much more positive.

And then I go out in the world again – sitting inside my protected shell. This shell is the cabin of my car. I listen to music here, at times sing songs, or sometimes talk to my own self…but whatever I do I know I am protected here. It’s my space and it’s my world. Even though this small world of mine is a part of a much bigger world, yet its my space. And it’s a space that’s giving me a chance to see around me, to learn from my surroundings.

At times driving for me is “Divine”.

There are bad times as well, when I leave my home or office in a much calm mind and get perturbed by the people on the road. I see rash drivers on the road, inconsiderate men who try to behave badly with women drivers and animals that die on the roads because of human negligence. It upsets me for a while, and I get into a kind of rage – I take some time and then get back to myself. After a while it makes me more tolerant towards the world. It makes me feel that everything happens for a reason and things finally get balanced out in the end.

What works best for me when I need to talk to people on certain serious issues is a drive. I ask them to join me for a drive, and I try and talk about things that need a better and an open perception.

I guess everyone has his or her own way of connecting to their inner self. For me, driving does that magic most of the times.

I wonder if is it’s the same for all of you out there, but if its not – I suggest you give it a try!
Old 23rd August 2008, 20:17   #2
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Beautifully put, and yes its quite the same for me too. I can never ever enjoy a chauffeur, no matter what. I know that about myself. When I am in a car I enjoy driving it.

For me its always like a dance. Getting it right. Orchestrating every move so its fluid. Like sport where a game well played does wonders for one's self esteem, for me driving always has made me feel good.

During my marathon trips the car is a de-facto home where I would unwind and relax.

I also love listening to music while I drive. There's something so gorgeous about travelling, watching the countryside as you listen to music.

I guess so many of us can relate to what you say. Its just that many take the pleasures of driving for granted. I'm glad I don't
Old 23rd August 2008, 20:42   #3
Team-BHP Support

I ride a Royal Enfield. Enough said.
Old 23rd August 2008, 22:22   #4
BHPian

With the right attitude and mindset, doing almost anything can reveal you to yourself.
and damn, reading your post really makes me want to get behind the wheel.
Old 23rd August 2008, 22:35   #5
BHPian

Very nicely brought out your thoughts!
Which car are you driving these days?
I can understand the feeling of being upset with others action on the road(more so in Delhi). I donot blatantly blame the men; but is the illogical beings who have been plaguing our roads. These people have always tried giving astonishingly stupid answers when confronted.
I love to unwind while driving. It is one good feeling I can derive from my senses.
Old 24th August 2008, 00:16   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlieonwheels View Post
However I feel it’s not too irrelevant also, I am sure most of you might not find this article interesting, but I hope there would be few (or very few) who would understand what I mean.
Most regulars on this forum can relate to this feeling. There are lots of us who enjoy long rides and find it therapeutic to the soul. The travelogue section is the proof for that.

And I prefer to drive my vehicles, never had a driver and want to keep it that way. For me driving is not about thrill anymore, now I drive much slowly than before and prefer to soak in the surroundings. That is why I don't mind driving around in the Jeep.
Old 25th August 2008, 14:41   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Whatta thread, girlieonwheels! Spoken from the heart.

Quote:
Today, I find that driving helps me discover my own inner self to me.
Quote:
This makes me feel so much more positive.
Quote:
At times driving for me is “Divine”.
Quote:
For me, driving does that magic most of the times.
I do my best thinking when driving, in addition to the times when I am working out, taking a shower and immediately prior to hitting the sack at night. But driving leads the pack by a mile. I have said this before and will say this again : Driving touches my soul....it is an incredibly spiritual experience to me. Most office go'ers dread the evening traffic, to me the 13 kms drive back home is refreshing! To be able to "feel" the car and the harmony of its several components is sheer nirvana. This is all the more evident when I am out for a long drive, after a while the car literally becomes an extension of yourself! Call me crazy, but despite having owned / driven far more powerful cars, I can have the time of my life in an 800 too.

Ported once posted asking why we feel the way we do toward cars? My reply : Can you define something as powerful as love?

Last edited by GTO : 25th August 2008 at 17:27.
Old 25th August 2008, 15:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are days when I hate the traffic around me, but such days are very few. I mostly love to be out driving, I would say simply driving and watching the world around me. The world that’s full of different kinds of people, some who are in 2 wheelers when the weather is harsh, some in expensive cars wearing international brands, some who are walking and some begging.

Over the years it has made me calm, and helped me become a better individual.

There are times when I am upset, and I leave home in a bad mood. But when I sit down in my car and place my hands on the steering wheel I feel my world is in control. And I am the one who is controlling it. This makes me feel so much more positive.

And then I go out in the world again – sitting inside my protected shell. This shell is the cabin of my car. I listen to music here, at times sing songs, or sometimes talk to my own self…but whatever I do I know I am protected here. It’s my space and it’s my world. Even though this small world of mine is a part of a much bigger world, yet its my space. And it’s a space that’s giving me a chance to see around me, to learn from my surroundings.
I could have spoken the above stuff, seems like it came right out of my mind. From my perspective, I have cursed others on the road. But today I just shut myself off to the world around me & live in my own world. Thanks for bringing this out girlieonwheels.
Driving has made me understand many things about life & generally made me a much calmer person.
Old 25th August 2008, 15:28   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Which car are you driving these days?
My current car (since last 2 years) is a Ford Ikon (Flair) and the color is Vitro Green.
Looks like she has started understanding my moods and she responds just as I expect her too.

P.S: My car is a "girl".
Old 25th August 2008, 15:46   #10
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
P.S: My car is a "girl".
Now that you bring it up, most people refer to cars either as "it" or "she". I've never come across someone referring to a car as "he"

Typically when someone isn't able to assign the gender identity to a car they end up referring to it as "it". Funny why no one's ventured a he! Even the massive trucks are either she or it

Last edited by DKG : 25th August 2008 at 15:49.
Old 25th August 2008, 16:54   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I've never come across someone referring to a car as "he"
Actually, my guy always refer's his SUV as "he". He says he can relate to his car more if its a "guy". Besides, I think calling it as "he" gives him all the right to be rough on the road (at times).
Old 25th August 2008, 17:13   #12
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Besides, I think calling it as "he" gives him all the right to be rough on the road (at times).
Sounds like a recipe for disaster Try to get him to call it a "she" and become a gentle considerate driver
Old 25th August 2008, 17:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post

Typically when someone isn't able to assign the gender identity to a car they end up referring to it as "it". Funny why no one's ventured a he!
Please look around, many folks have addressed their vehicle in the masculine. For e.g benbsb29's Ford Ikon is called Mike.
Old 25th August 2008, 17:59   #14
Team-BHP Support

I refer to my cars(both the indica and the safari) as she.
coming back to the point of the thread, aimlessly driving around is a big de-stresser.
On an empty road the whistle of the turbo always lifts my mood up.

Of course road rage hits big sometime, but always try to deep breathe and relax.
With the new car I am scared of scratches, esp with the kind of traffic Noida has.
So I give way to even cyclists, and this has made me a much more saner and defensive driver.
Old 25th March 2009, 11:29   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
GTO : Most office go'ers dread the evening traffic, to me the 13 kms drive back home is refreshing!
Being able to get behind the wheel of the truck and head out symbolizes a fresh start to the rest of the day. Leave it all behind, no matter how things went (good or bad), and ready for other things in life, apart from work.
Quote:
GTO : To be able to "feel" the car and the harmony of its several components is sheer nirvana.
To me, it's that steady hum of the turbo diesel under the bonnet. Love to hear that as I drive ..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks