Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2008, 18:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

You can Fight corruption - Contact CBI directly

Bangalore: Have you received the CBI’s SMS message seeking complaints against central government employees? Don’t be surprised if you have. If you haven’t but want to fight a corrupt officer, here is help at hand. Central Bureau of Investigation, the country’s premier investigation agency, has started a nation-wide campaign to involve the people in its fight against corruption.

The campaign is multi-folded. The agency is sending SMS messages inviting complaints and information from people about babus, who demand bribes or have huge assets. People can send information about them through letters, faxes, e-mails, SMS and phone calls. Besides they can post information on the CBI website or meet the officials in person. The scale of the campaign is huge. In Karnataka, the CBI has tied up with the BSNL and sent SMS to all its 18.5 lakh mobile subscribes in a single stroke.

“The response has been phenomenal. People have been calling us to give leads, clues, information and even incriminating documents. Some however don’t seem to believe the CBI can send an SMS and call up just to check,’’ CBI SP (anti-corruption) Narasimha Komar said.

Komar believes the effort will help them in many ways. “The organization can’t succeed without public participation. And we need such initiatives to involve the people,’’ he said.

“Many times, the common man who becomes a victim of corruption does not know whom to contact for relief. Also, many people don’t know how to cooperate with us. We need to open up channels of communication with the people — working with them is the only way out for us. That is why we are adopting this proactive approach at ensuring people’s participation,’’ Komar said. If some one can’t come to Bangalore to give information, a team of CBI officials will visit him to collect the information.

Such an effort has yielded good results in Maharashtra. Karnataka is the second state to witness it. It will be extended to the whole country in phases. Complaints will be received against corrupt employees of the central government, PSUs, banks and other financial institutions. The complaints once registered, will be followed up and investigated.

The identity of the informant will be kept secret. As a matter of policy the CBI does not entertain anonymous or pseudonymous complaints.

The SMS
“Please inform CBI-Bangalore about officials of government of India/PSUs demanding bribe or being in possession of huge assets at 080-2333 2726 or 94480 44355.’’

What an informant can do ?

Log on to www.cbi.nic.in and go to ‘contact us’ page Send an e-mail to the ID spacblr@cbi.gov.in, with the words ‘complaint-information’ in the subject line Send a fax to 080-23331026 Write to The SP, Anti-Corruption, CBI, Bellary Road, Ganganagar, Bangalore-32. You can also meet Komar at his office at the same address.

Source: TOI today
Old 3rd September 2008, 18:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

"If a Central/Delhi Govt./PSU/Bank employee demands bribe for any official work in Delhi, pls contact SP CBI at 24361535/3541/2494"

Recived few days ago.
Old 3rd September 2008, 18:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Things look good in theory and on paper.
Many years ago when the Indica Buzz was around, in Outlook magazine they said " Come 2008 and you will be driving your luxury car at 120 kmph on express highway ". We know the reality.

This move will just give rise to more corruption as the influential people will use their influence as usual. This is going to remain. In the real world, suppose that you manage to bring the corrupt officer to CBI, but then what about your security ? Will those officers leave you untouched /

This is not going to help any and will just increase corruption. One more way of increasing corruption, this is. As usual, all good things either end up on paper or just continue to act as one more negative means.
Old 3rd September 2008, 18:46   #4
BHPian

But still i don't think its a bad idea it may reduce a small percent of corruption in our country
Old 3rd September 2008, 18:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

A good effort. Atleast one step in the right direction! :-)
Old 3rd September 2008, 18:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Things look good in theory and on paper.
Many years ago when the Indica Buzz was around, in Outlook magazine they said " Come 2008 and you will be driving your luxury car at 120 kmph on express highway ". We know the reality.
What was the Indica Buzz ?
Are you talking about Indica V3/Vista? I think it can reach 120kmph with ease on a Highway..
Old 3rd September 2008, 18:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
What was the Indica Buzz ?
Are you talking about Indica V3/Vista? I think it can reach 120kmph with ease on a Highway..

Sir, sorry for not mentioning the dates. It was around in 1998 when we used to read Outlook magazine. There the statement was boosted that we will have expresshighways, or rather, we will only have expresshighways and the state of present National highways and State Highways will be like those of the old " Routes " of USA.
I hope I have clarified about this.

I am not very sure about the small percentage. Those who will change will be at lower positions and they might change due to fear of CBI, but those at higher level wont change so, this is not going to make any positive difference.
Old 3rd September 2008, 19:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Even if they prosecute 10% of the total complaints, the rest 30-40% will be scared of getting caught, so thats a huge number of corruption reduction.

Lets not shy away, let be positive.
Old 3rd September 2008, 20:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

yeah, it is a good move, Lets hope to see some clean up action there!
Old 3rd September 2008, 20:27   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Even if they prosecute 10% of the total complaints, the rest 30-40% will be scared of getting caught, so thats a huge number of corruption reduction.

Lets not shy away, let be positive.

I completely agree. We need to be optimistic. We all know corruption will never go away from India because it starts from the Chaprasi and goes right upto the Director Saab in every government company.

But atleast we can try.

Although you don't need to look far for what happens to an honest government employee - The poor fellow is used as a puppet by his corrupt colleagues. Our very own PM who has been reduced to nothing but a spokesperson or our beloved Ex President who has been replaced by a completely useless person who just wants to sit there and laugh her way to the bank.

I would definitely pass on details of many people I know who have amassed crores through corruption. We would obviously need to start with the small fish and then gradually move onto the bigger ones.

I have another idea though:
If anyone of you have seen the Kamal Hassan movie in which he played a double role wherein the father kills his own son for being corrupt. Or I am sure you guys have seen RDB. To be precise, my idea:

The only way to eradicate corruption is to eliminate the corrupt!
Old 3rd September 2008, 21:03   #11
rippergeo

So we send an SMS against the mighty and powerful to the CBI, and then the CBI can track us down and eliminate us little guys who are trying to make trouble for their bosses. I'm not buying it.

Old 3rd September 2008, 21:10   #12
BHPian

Quote:
This is not going to help any and will just increase corruption. One more way of increasing corruption, this is. As usual, all good things either end up on paper or just continue to act as one more negative means.
Could you kindly elaborate on this note please?
Old 3rd September 2008, 21:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

No doubt, its a good news. But after we give complaint, after CBI raids the corrupt officials, after their arrest, they will get back to their offices as nobody will be ever able to convict them. They will be easily granted bail.

Take for example the Lok Ayukta. Almost daily they raid the officials houses and recover huge sums of money which will run into crores. But have you ever heard of any convictions of the officials?

IMO, it will be same case here.
Old 3rd September 2008, 22:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:

This move will just give rise to more corruption as the influential people will use their influence as usual. This is going to remain. In the real world, suppose that you manage to bring the corrupt officer to CBI, but then what about your security ? Will those officers leave you untouched /

This is not going to help any and
IMO, we've got to start encouraging and appreciating such ideas or stop complaining that nothing is happening in our country.
I feel that its a great step. Irrespective of the outcome, at least some people will make an effort and at least a few corrupt officers will get reprimanded.
Old 4th September 2008, 00:02   #15
Team-BHP Support

The officials who are caught read handed or raided by all powerful Lokayukta in Karnataka don't even get suspended let alone procecuted or jailed. All they get is headlines/photographs in first page and few days of infame.

In that light, I am not buying this whole SMS business. The officials may actually find out who ratted them out and give more trouble. Example, who would want to squeel on the local police official over a little bribe. Later that guy will make you pay 10 times over. This is a country where witnesses get no protection, in fact the courts will reveal their names in their paperwork.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks