Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2008, 20:04   #1
BHPian

Returning to India: Shipping personal stuff (clothes, household items)?

I would like to get some information on moving cargo (personal items like household articles, clothes etc, ~ 50kg) from India (Bangalore) to Germany. Can anyone who has done this before, suggest the companies and procedure for this?

Thanks in advance

Nirmal
Old 2nd October 2008, 12:38   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Not sure if this helps, but airlines do allow you to carry an extra bag for a fee. When I was moving back from the States, I paid $150 to Swiss air for the third bag.
Old 2nd October 2008, 13:29   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Like GTO said you can carry extra baggage but this will turn out to be an expensive affair.

Your best bet is to approach an international cargo company like DHL or UPS and have the stuff shipped to a designated address. Your advantage will be door to door service.

Airlines will also accept unaccompanied baggage at about half the rate as excess baggage. You can call Lufthansa or Air India Cargo services for the same. The drawback is that someone will have to go to Frankfurt Airport to collect your cargo.
There is a lot of paperwork, customs declarations and more involved. Plus the airline will keep the cargo for 1 or 2 days as a cool-off period to make sure you have no troublesome cargo.
And of course they will send it at their convenience, so expect it to reach in 3 to 4 days.

Another option is to approach a private cargo handling agency like Robinsons or PN Writer and co. They will arrange to have the cargo sent for you.

Another cheap option is to go to the post office. Yes, our India Post Office and prepare a large parcel to be sent by Sea-Mail. It will be a cheap option, but will take 3 to 4 weeks to reach.

Otherwise do what we are doing. Keep travelling back and forth, transferring 20 kgs at a time, make small parcels of 5 to 8 kilos and keep handing it over to friends and relatives to carry, lol.

Good luck and let us all know (especially me) what you did and how much you paid.
Old 2nd October 2008, 14:42   #4
BHPian

Best bet is to use DHL or UPS. You can reduce your weight of your DHL/UPS parcel by following method.

1. 20kg is the check-in luggage limit told, officially allowed is 22kg, but 2-3 kgs is always a margin. So you can carry normally 25kgs for free as check-in luggage if you arrive at check in counter early enough.

2. Hand luggae: Now 8kg is declared limit of hand luggage, but usually no airlines weighs it, even if someone weighs it, normally 12kgs handluggae can be passed easily with a simple request.

3. Laptop bag: is bonus, it is over & above the allowed cargo & upto 6kg is allowed to tranport laptop in a laptop bag. "Use it", no modern laptop is more than 3-3.5kg, use laptop bags to store papers/books adn upto 2kgs can be stuffed(remember books & papers weighs a lot).

How do I know it? I live & work in germany & a frequent traveller between India-Europe, using diffrent routes & diffrent airlines everytime(depends upon the best offer).

BIG QUESTION: Why do you want to carry house-hold stuff like cloth & other things to Germany? it seems you are moving in for a long time, Right?

ANSWER: if yes, my advice would be not to bring too much house-hold itmes like cloths/utensils/masalas/rice....as everything is available here, and you will end-up paying more than price of itmes themselves in cargo fee.

Just bring in essential cloths 7-8 pairs, a warm jacket & pullovers. rest of the stuff you can buy here. for the first few days you can bring in maggi or other readymade food.

If need any info about living in germany or any kind of local help, let me know, i stay in southern part, near Stuttgart.which part of germany are you coming to?

Last edited by arunforu1 : 2nd October 2008 at 14:47.
Old 2nd October 2008, 18:58   #5
BHPian

Nirmal,
Do not carry the luggage with you to Germany. There is no piece concept and you will get killed with the prices various airlines charge for excess baggage.

Like Sam has said, if you need it fast enough you can send the baggage by Air as unaccompanied. My guesstimate is around 110 bucks a kg(to FRA). You need to check around with multiple airlines. They have substantially cheaper flights on certain days and you may get a super bargain
Just provide them with a packing list , copy of your ticket and a declaration saying that these are you personall effects yadda yadda..(the airline folks will tell you what you require to wrtie) you can pick it up from the Airport in Germany when you arrive.

Be prepared in Germany with a copy of you residence registration in your local commune / town hall, proof of ID, Copy of Airway bill and a lot of money. You would need to pay up some customs clearance costs, handling charges etc etc which works out to a ton of cash...

Do not fail to irritate the Airline folks and call them up every couple of minutes coz as is wont, they unfailingly, never ever inform you when the goods arrive. Track it using the Airway bill number until you actually see your stuff in person.

Last edited by sanjayatarizona : 2nd October 2008 at 18:59.
Old 3rd October 2008, 01:50   #6
Team-BHP Support

When i was trying to get some stuff from NYC to Bombay - i tried UPS, USPS, FedEx, DHL and some other couriers (bombino, icc etc) -- and what worked out easiest, quickest AND cheapest was paying an extra $123 for an extra (3rd) check-in bag (upto 50kgs).

Not sure if you can get better rates from the indian post office or DHL, UPS here....

cya
R
Old 3rd October 2008, 02:13   #7
BHPian

When i moved from Bangalore to US, i paid around 20k for a 75kg box. That was about 500$. However, if i had checked in say 3 bags (23kg each), it would be about 300 to 400USD. I was not aware of this earlier so shipped it through DHL.

Also, note that DHL would be doing all the customs clearance etc, which means delay. For me, i got my box after 20 days it was sent from Bangalore as it got stuck in customs. If the bag is with you, it is going to be easier.

FROM US TO INDIA the normal charges as i inquired recently are:
$120 for a 23kg bag
$180 for a 32kg bag

This again may depend on airlines, but you should check with your airline to be absolutely sure.

Alternatively, most airlines allow only 23kg per bag. You could also check with the excess baggage charges are. They may charge around $50 if you load upto 32kg per bag. You can check if this option works for you.

PS: I found that shipping through DHL from Bangalore to Boise was about 500$ for 75kg, but from Boise to Bangalore the same is working to be much more expensive ($800 or so).

Last edited by deep_bang : 3rd October 2008 at 02:18.
Old 3rd October 2008, 02:18   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
...(upto 50kgs)....
Oops! Im sorry, that should say upto 50lbs!

cya
R
Old 3rd October 2008, 02:37   #9
BHPian

You can check with Emirates airlines. One of my friends got his baggage through them. I do not remember the fee but it is less. They will bring it whenever the flight is not full. I do not if this helps you or not.
Old 3rd October 2008, 06:28   #10
BHPian

Thanks a million

I asked the same question in a "Indians in Germany" forum and hardly got any reply. Here I got so many valuable suggestions and that too from senior tbhpians. This is what makes this forum different. Thanks a lot.

One additional question. My wish would be that the cargo reaches a little late after I arrive (a month or slightly more). This will help me find a permanent residence and then collect the cargo. Would sending the cargo by ship be an option? Would this also work out cheaper?

Nirmal

Last edited by nirmalts : 3rd October 2008 at 06:31.
Old 7th October 2008, 19:11   #11
BHPian

I called up DHL today. Their rates seems to be ok. I plan to go through them. I have some further questions.

My cargo will mostly consist of used household items (utensils, appliances, music system, clothes etc).

1. Do I have to pay custms duty for these during clearance in Germany?
2. Do I need original invoice for even used items?

Thanks
Nirmal
Old 7th October 2008, 23:08   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
I called up DHL today. Their rates seems to be ok. I plan to go through them. I have some further questions.

My cargo will mostly consist of used household items (utensils, appliances, music system, clothes etc).

1. Do I have to pay custms duty for these during clearance in Germany?
2. Do I need original invoice for even used items?

Thanks
Nirmal
No and No. But you need a clear and formal declaration for each item.

It is well that you are using DHL. As someone pointed out (rightly) the piece concept only exists for trans-atlantic flights. If you try and take the extra 30 kilo bag to germany you will pay a horrid amount.

Please do let me know what DHL is charging you. I may need their services to transport some of TheOne®'s stuff to India from Germany.
Old 8th October 2008, 14:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post

Just a thought, if its only regular household items, will it not be less of a hassle and less expensive to buy the items from germany itself, the more important stuff you can carry along with yourself.

Last edited by Shakensoul : 8th October 2008 at 14:19.
Old 8th October 2008, 19:56   #14
BHPian

On the topic...If i am to move alot of furniture to singapore what could i do?? Get a container? How much would this cost and which company should i look for??
Old 2nd July 2014, 17:31   #15
BHPian

Moving household items from UK to India

My relative is moving back to India after 20 years in UK. They want to bring the used house hold items, mostly furnitures, utensils, TV (no other major electronic). It could be upto full container or part container. They have few questions. If anyone done similar shifting from UK (or from any other country) please help with the below details.

1. What are the options available for this and what will be the approximate cost?
2. Will there be any custom to be paid in India separately or the courier / container company will include / manage all expenses?
3. Will the courier company deliver to door step in India or should we need to coordinate for delivery from port in India etc

Regards
Deva

PS: Mods, please move / delete the post if the posting is not in the right place

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks