Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2008, 00:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Update: 3 undersea cable cuts hit India net traffic

Quote:
Update: 3 undersea cable cuts hit India net trafficLeslie D'monte / New Delhi December 20, 2008, 17:16 IST
Three major undersea cables -- the Sea Me We 4, Sea Me We3, and FLAG -- were cut, considerably slowing down India's internet and voice traffic. The extent of the damage is still being assessed.

The voice operations (call centres) of IT-BPO firms comprise around 20-30 per cent of most firms in India, and get hit the most -— especially if the International Private Leased Circuits (IPLCs) are down too. An IPLC is a point-to-point private line used by an organisation to communicate between offices that are dispersed throughout the world.

Consequently, it's generally the smaller business process outsourcing (BPO) units that get badly affected. The larger ones have built-in redundancy that does not make them very vulnerable. They also have connections from both the Pacific and Atlantic routes so if one route is affected the load automatically gets transferred on the other route.

Moreover, those firms that have delivery centres around the world will not be affected as much since they can divert some work to other centres. Moreover, a considerable amount of high-end analytics work can be done offline.

Read fully story @ source:
Update: 3 undersea cable cuts hit India net traffic

--
I am experiencing very slow speeds on dataone.any help?
Old 21st December 2008, 09:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...cable-cut.html
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks