Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2008, 13:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

As far as music is concerned, the choice available in the market is still very limited.
Old 24th December 2008, 13:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

actually, you can blame US , not us
Copyright Term Extension Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 24th December 2008, 15:12   #18
BANNED

On first principals one has to agree that using/downloading pirated software is wrong thing to do. The meaning of pirated software being that the stuff used is not paid for by the user. This I think basically everyone agrees.

Now I see here that many claim that the software/movies/music is priced exorbitantly for many in this country- this is true. But does this give us a right to claim that we are not doing wrong when get it through an alternate illegal means?

The law says its a crime though we choose not to accept that definition. But I think everyone feels its wrong.

Come on guys, just because a thousand people do it, that doesn't make it right.
Old 24th December 2008, 15:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

Here i am,
after waking up by alarm of ajanta timepiece which is copied its design, i brush my teeth with brush made by indian company, design of brush is also copied, then i have my tea which is made by milk produced by jercy cow which is illegaly produced in india without giving any royalty, then i drive to my office in indica whose design is supposed to be stolen from italy, then in office i use computers in which pirated softwares are present, in the evening, when i come back from factory, i listen music which again is pirated, at home , i eat burger of which recipe is patented. by law, i am doing all wrong things. i am sorry about that. should i be punished to death?
Old 24th December 2008, 15:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Here i am,
after waking up by alarm of ajanta timepiece which is copied its design, i brush my teeth with brush made by indian company, design of brush is also copied, then i have my tea which is made by milk produced by jercy cow which is illegaly produced in india without giving any royalty, then i drive to my office in indica whose design is supposed to be stolen from italy, then in office i use computers in which pirated softwares are present, in the evening, when i come back from factory, i listen music which again is pirated, at home , i eat burger of which recipe is patented. by law, i am doing all wrong things. i am sorry about that. should i be punished to death?
Cmon Ashish you are taking this to the extreme man..This way our whole country will be under arrest!
Besides everyone in the world uses something pirated/fake/copies/inspired(Acc. to Anu Malik)..

Music, Movies and Software - Universal
Day to day stuff(Grocery and other household stuff) - Developing nations
Everything under the sun(except for the Sun) - China

Basically there is a pirate version of almost everything that exists - In the end its the consumer who decides what to buy - Real or Pirate!
Old 24th December 2008, 15:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

Everyone seems to be ok with downloading an illegal copy of a movie but as soon as someone takes a picture from tbhp and posts it on another website without credit we start getting upset and frustrated.
Old 24th December 2008, 15:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabus E V12 View Post
Cmon Ashish you are taking this to the extreme man..This way our whole country will be under arrest!
!
i am just highlighting the pirated things in our life.
so life without pirated things is impossible. am i right?

Quote:
@khanak:Everyone seems to be ok with downloading an illegal copy of a movie but as soon as someone takes a picture from tbhp and posts it on another website without credit we start getting upset and frustrated.
very true.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 24th December 2008 at 15:59.
Old 24th December 2008, 15:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Its fine to think that one wont do it again, but in practical life its not that easy.
For example, the motherboard. Buy a specific brand of mobo from US and from India and see the difference in quality. I have done this before and hence I know. For an average man, there are so many issues regarding the overall expenses, that one enters the bad world. My friend wanted to buy AVG, but he could not find the payment in Rs., so he got pirated one. Are the companies considerate enough ?

And reminder is that maximum no. of uploads are done by US and European people. They are one to write key gens, the illegal stuff sites are more in US than India. Maximum no. of uploading is done on Rapidshare which is not located in India.

We need not feel guilty.
Old 24th December 2008, 16:02   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
i am just highlighting the pirated things in our life.
so life without pirated things is impossible. am i right?
As I said it depends on the consumer. And in today's world, a big YES you to your question.

It is practically impossible to live without pirated things in some form or the other!

That brings to me a question..Is there any TBHPIAN whose life is completely Pirate free??
Old 24th December 2008, 16:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabus E V12 View Post
That brings to me a question..Is there any TBHPIAN whose life is completely Pirate free??
dhundate rah jaoge.

hai koi?
Old 24th December 2008, 16:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

Also keep in mind just how much cheaper everything is India. You can buy a legal dvd of a movie that was in theatres about 2 weeks ago for a dollar. The Dark Knight dvd costs less than $10 here as opposed to about $25 it costs abroad.
Old 24th December 2008, 16:12   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Also keep in mind just how much cheaper everything is India. You can buy a legal dvd of a movie that was in theatres about 2 weeks ago for a dollar. The Dark Knight dvd costs less than $10 here as opposed to about $25 it costs abroad.
But cost of others things is quite high. Cars for example. Cost of fuel, electricity, reliability of both fuel and electricity, etc. mean that overall we are at loss and hence succumb to wrong measures in order to atleast stay competitive.
Old 24th December 2008, 16:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Yes the cheapness is quite evident in the quality of the DVDs available here.
I dont have anything against this. You get what you pay for. But, why dont i have the option of spending a little extra and getting a better quality DVD?
Old 24th December 2008, 16:43   #29
BHPian

This age old battle will never end!

Software copying (I don't like the term piracy ) is different from stealing. If you steal a car, previous owner can no longer avail the benefit of the car (as he doesn't have it any more).
But if you copy a software, the owner don't get poorer!

You can argue that the owner is losing revenue for a lost sale. But that revenue doesn't exist in the first place. I shall use a s/w only if it is free and I won't pay $1000 to get (I'll then look for a cheaper alternative or some other s/w which is easy to crack of freeware).

Nowadays, barring few high end professional applications, most common s/w have their freeware equivalent.

Sometimes s/w manufacturers also implicitly encourage copying as a free advertisement for them. Microsoft, for example, wouldn't have been so popular by today if people didn't copy its Windows/Office in the past.

Those who still shun Linux, just give it a try and you'll be amazed to see how you can live entirely in free s/w world.
Old 24th December 2008, 19:06   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
This age old battle will never end!

Software copying (I don't like the term piracy ) is different from stealing. If you steal a car, previous owner can no longer avail the benefit of the car (as he doesn't have it any more).
But if you copy a software, the owner don't get poorer!
If I were to take all the content from the thbhp site and put it on my own website (or compile it as an ebook and distribute it over the net) , tbhp owners or it's members wouldn't be any poorer, would they? Does that mean they shouldn't complain?

I also download movies and music from torrents but I do know that what I am doing is illegal, I don't try to justify my actions. Lately, I have stopped using pirated software is an equivalent freeware is available.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks