Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2008, 23:35   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
those people deserve to be ripped.
that got me laughing. someone is providing you shows, which they produced or paid for. For free.

If you are irritated with the ads, then feel free to change the channel. If all channels are bad, feel free to change the provider (tata sky?).
Old 26th December 2008, 00:13   #47
Senior - BHPian

See guys, as most of you pointed out, its the affordability factor. Who will want to buy a Hindi movie if it costs Rs.299? But take the case of these Moser Baer DVDs. The cost somewhere between Rs 35 and Rs. 50. If all movies are so affordable, who will buy pirated stuff? After these Moser Baer DVDs, one naturally feels that the other companies ripped you off for so many years. People have answered these companies by downloading pirated stuff. If all movies cost only Rs.50, everybody will buy original.

Even the music CDs. They cost Rs. 160 for a new movie songs. Get the cost down to as low as Rs30-40 per CD of movie songs and see the difference.
Old 26th December 2008, 02:17   #48
Senior - BHPian

DRM(Digital Restrictions Management) - Which Side tbhp guys support?do you like DRMing every movies,songs ?
DefectiveByDesign.org | The Campaign to Eliminate DRM
Old 26th December 2008, 05:16   #49
Senior - BHPian

Do I download pirated music - Yes? Movies - Yes. Do i feel guilty - No.

That said, if I like a movie or a music album, I would buy the original Audio CD or DVD (Even though I may not even open it's seal!). And that is only for Indian content (English content is, IMHO, still way too overpriced).

Does it make me any better a thief? I don't care...!
Old 26th December 2008, 06:48   #50
jat
BHPian

Considering all this, can somebody have the pirated version of crude oir, petrol, diesel etc when the prices go up?

Piracy may not always be bad. You see Microsoft. Today where it stands, is partially due to piracy.

If people are really serious in curtailing the piracy, they can do it. I remember about the books. The books from European countries used to cost a bomb forcing people to take manual notes. However when they were published by ELBS (English Language Book Society), the cost used to come down drastically, and was affordable.

So, just saying it wrong and right won't solve the problem. Those guys have to get their head down and really find a solution. And making laws stricter will not solve it. It could not solve drugs problem, which is much easier to solve than music and video piracy.
Old 26th December 2008, 11:05   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jat View Post
Considering all this, can somebody have the pirated version of crude oir, petrol, diesel etc when the prices go up?

Piracy may not always be bad. You see Microsoft. Today where it stands, is partially due to piracy.
OK, in India we ONLY use pirated petrol diesel, etc. as these are the ONLY available varieties at all the fuel stations in India. Even if we want to buy original, we cannot.

Microsoft today is famous because of Piracy. Those who have Pirated OS will have pirated Office, and other softwares. So they are in no way contributing to Microsoft. Just giving some good name. And generally they dont rate it high because of well known Windows issues.
Old 26th December 2008, 11:08   #52
BANNED

What I am saying is that Piracy from a concept point of view is wrong. Only some are honest and bold enough to admit that they are doing a wrong thing when they download pirated software, others, well, they are feeling guilty so they try to defend with things like -

1. I cannot afford the expense- who said everything made in this world should be affordable to everyone?

2. The author is not loosing money because if it was not available for free I wouldn't have downloaded it - This is the craziest- a circular reasoning!

3. The actual owners/authors are already rich enough they don't need our money - I can only at this logic.

4. It is not available in our country/region legally - a minority case since if you can download you can also buy it online.

The tendency to feel that we are not at fault for doing using the pirated software is due to the extreme ease of use and distribution of software and the dated belief that the if I make a copy of a s/w product, the author is not left with one less- guys wake up we are not dealing with age old things like buying books or oranges here.

The product is not the packaged software, it is the intellectual content used for creating the product.

The weak case with s/w piracy is that there is no technology which is simple, good, cheap and hassle free for ensuring one only complete ownership.
Old 27th December 2008, 00:00   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
that got me laughing. someone is providing you shows, which they produced or paid for. For free.

If you are irritated with the ads, then feel free to change the channel. If all channels are bad, feel free to change the provider (tata sky?).
Ofcourse they arn't free! aren't you paying for DTH recharge.

about your second query!!
is that the point I am implying.?
Dude! pay to view channel, you already paid to view. So what are they earning from cheap useless ads in between an interesting movie, pocket change??
Old 27th December 2008, 15:33   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Ofcourse they arn't free! aren't you paying for DTH recharge.

about your second query!!
is that the point I am implying.?
Dude! pay to view channel, you already paid to view. So what are they earning from cheap useless ads in between an interesting movie, pocket change??
Sorry, that's just not the way it is.

Consider a newspaper.... you pay between 2 and 5 bucks to get the newspaper delivered to your doorstep every morning. Do you really believe that's all it costs a company like Bennett Coleman to bring you that newspaper??
The actual cost of the finished product delivered to your doorstep is much, much higher, and those costs are borne by the advertisers. If a newspaper had no ads in it, it would cost you MUCH more.

It's the same with television and news channels. Just because you pay approximately 500 bucks a month per television to get hundreds of channels, that doesn't mean that's all it costs to produce the content.
The cost you pay is subsidized by advertising.

Also, if people want to talk about why HBO doesn't have ads in the US, they need to get their facts sorted first. REGULAR HBO has advertisements in between their programming. PREMIUM HBO has no ads, but you wind up paying an extra 30 or 40 dollars every month for premium content without ads.
Old 27th December 2008, 15:47   #55
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronium View Post
Whilst going through my computer
This is your entire problem, really. Send people off to a cyber cafe if they need access to a computer and don't carry a notebook.

Old 29th December 2008, 12:46   #56
BHPian

Piracy is a problem all over the world, not just in India. So lets not talk just in the Indian context. Just like we have excuses that it is not available in India, there are others who have excuses to pay even in the US.

Recently in the last few years, some of the major content providers have come up with innovative ways of reducing piracy. NBC has many of their shows online. There are sites like hulu.com (which is perfectly legal) which distribute a lot of NBC and Fox channel videos on demand (some with HD quality if you have a good connection).

In fact piracy is not just about downloading from the net. If you go to your neighbourhood video shop, chances are very high most of the Cds are pirated. Indirectly you are still using pirated content.

Well, my point is, where possible, lets try and avoid it. For instance, lets try and go only to legitimate video shops (such as 70mm etc). Lets try to make an effort to get the content online when possible. In some cases, i know it just does not make sense (improper pricing).

Microsoft is now having some promotion where for $15 a month, they have unlimited song downloads - thats what their AD says (i don't know how good their songs database is though as i have not used it yet).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks