Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2008, 16:28   #1
BHPian

Where can I read peacefully in Pune? Preparing for CFA Level 1 exams

This one goes out to Puneites, but comments from other people are also welcome.

I am preparing for the CFA Level 1 examination to be held in Jun 2009. All my efforts to slot the studies in a higher gear has gone down the drain. I have a 3 BHK apartment, but there are way too many distractions for a quiet study atmosphere. The television is on till 11 pm everyday with my sister and cousin perfect examples of couch potatoes . It would be asking too much of them to shut down the TV for the next 5-6 months and let me study.

I have a room that was intended to be used as a study, but its proximity to the drawing room is not helping matters. My sister's bedroom would be a good option, but moving the study there is a lot of headache for all in the house.

I wish to understand if there are places in Pune like a library where I can devote 2-3 hours of study on a daily basis. I stay in Sus Road, Pashan and my office is in Viman Nagar. Any library or study spot in proximity to my home/office would suit me.

I have 5 months to prepare full throttle. There is a lot of read and time is fast ticking over. Its getting desperate now and I want to see a quick solution to my problem. Guys, your help is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 30th December 2008, 16:44   #2
Team-BHP Support

Wait a minute. Moving books to sisters room is too much of a hassle, but moving to a library away from your house isn't....?
Anyways, libraries are open till 5pm. so unless you work at night, not a good option.
Old 30th December 2008, 16:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

I dont know if I sound insane, but if possible, spend a couple of days, shift your entire room with your sister's room. So no headache for anyone.
Initial time spent might not be liked by all, but you will have a quieter room to study at you own time.
Old 30th December 2008, 16:57   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Wait a minute. Moving books to sisters room is too much of a hassle, but moving to a library away from your house isn't....?
Anyways, libraries are open till 5pm. so unless you work at night, not a good option.
5 pm :(. No good for me. Its not just the books. It would mean the current study is made my sisters' room and her room the study because thats the farthest corner of the house, far away from the TV menace. Would require a complete overhaul, although its not something that cannot be done. Just want to see if a solution exists without disturbing the current setup at home.

How good an option is Crossword? I reckon they have a library kind of setup, if they have a multi-floor arrrangement. And they are open till 9ish. Don't know, I am going insane thinking about the possibilities!
Old 30th December 2008, 17:01   #5
Team-BHP Support

Well, you may not be aware of this but people in Pune have been doing this all along. Use the University's library at the Ganeshkhind campus. People take a token admission in some course which gets them an ID and the right to use the library. Thats it. You can get all the books that you may ever need right there.

Go early in the morning and spend your whole day there in the library. You can catch a morsel in the afternoon in the University refectory. In fact many students from interior Maharashtra who aspire to appear for IAS, MPSC exams etc. join a course and manage a shared hostel room there in the campus. For them it is a small token that lets them study in the library there with access to all the books from early mornings till very late at night.
Old 30th December 2008, 17:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, you may not be aware of this but people in Pune have been doing this all along. Use the University's library at the Ganeshkhind campus. People take a token admission in some course which gets them an ID and the right to use the library. Thats it. You can get all the books that you may ever need right there.
Bang on I was about to reply the same. What better place to study than in a University
Old 30th December 2008, 19:41   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Have never been able to study at home myself....simply too many distractions. In fact, even if I work at home, it is at a level of 30% productivity. The only time that I could study at home was at night : regular 11 a.m. to 6 a.m. shifts.

What I suggest:

- Libraries

- Empty classrooms

- Clubs (NOT the nightclub kind ). If you are a member of one, benefit from how empty they are during the day. I frequently used the lounge / study areas of the JVPGC.

- Dads / Relatives office : If you have access to a private cabin, nothing like it.

Don't forget to get rest, water, food & a breath of fresh air in liberal doses. Make up a comprehensive study schedule, break it up into small pieces and then complete it one by one. Find a hard-working disciplined friend to study with; nothing quite like it.

Good luck with the preparations as well as the CFA exams!
Old 30th December 2008, 20:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Find a hard-working disciplined friend to study with; nothing quite like it.
this is one of the best ideas. this will work to your advantage even if there are distractions around. I have even worked with my friend on phone/voice chat with headphones on. no distractions !
Old 30th December 2008, 20:12   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
This one goes out to Puneites, but comments from other people are also welcome.

It would be asking too much of them to shut down the TV for the next 5-6 months and let me study.
Whats the harm?
Are TV programmes more important that your career?
Remember that you dont even remember the prg you saw few months ago.
But the study and hard work you put will change your future.

I never allow low priority things to dominate high p things.
Old 31st December 2008, 10:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
Whats the harm?
Are TV programmes more important that your career?
Remember that you dont even remember the prg you saw few months ago.
But the study and hard work you put will change your future.

I never allow low priority things to dominate high p things.
I understand your point, mate. They would oblige, no doubt, but then its akin to taking away their freedom for a good 5-6 months. So, its ruled out.
Old 31st December 2008, 10:03   #11
BHPian

Thanks everybody so far. Some really good words of wisdom. I will have to quickly find a solution and get going with the studies. Keep more suggestions coming and I can then evaluate which works best for me. Really appreciate your thoughts.
Old 31st December 2008, 10:47   #12
BHPian

I think British Council Library on F.C.Road is a great place.

It might be a bit far for you but it is tried and tested by my brother. He just finished giving his C.A final exams in december and he used to regularly go there just to study for long stretches.
Old 2nd January 2009, 15:34   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalpipraiya View Post
I think British Council Library on F.C.Road is a great place.

It might be a bit far for you but it is tried and tested by my brother. He just finished giving his C.A final exams in december and he used to regularly go there just to study for long stretches.
What are their timings, just in case you know? I am going to them tomorrow to check out the details anyway. Thanks, mate.
Old 5th January 2009, 19:46   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
What are their timings, just in case you know? I am going to them tomorrow to check out the details anyway. Thanks, mate.
Tuesday to Saturday: 11.00 am to 7.00 pm
Sunday: 11.00 am to 06.00 pm

also see their list of holidays:
Pune - British Library - British Council - India
Old 6th January 2009, 14:29   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalpipraiya View Post
Tuesday to Saturday: 11.00 am to 7.00 pm
Sunday: 11.00 am to 06.00 pm

also see their list of holidays:
Pune - British Library - British Council - India
Thanks Vishal. Atleast I can read there on weekends. The rest of the days, I am staying put at office after work hours and read. That seems to be the best possible solution right now.

Thanks again everyone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks