Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2009, 13:22   #1
BHPian

Any stutterers on Team-BHP?

Hi,

I am a stutterer myself. We are trying to form local chapters of TISA (The Indian Stammering Association), so that stutterers can meet and share their experiences/therapies etc.

If anybody is interested, drop me a PM.

Cheers

Nitin
Old 7th January 2009, 13:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

What is the term "STUTTERER"?????
Old 7th January 2009, 13:32   #3
BHPian

Stuttering, also known as stammering in the United Kingdom, is a speech disorder in which the flow of speech is disrupted by involuntary repetitions and prolongations of sounds, syllables, words or phrases, and involuntary silent pauses or blocks in which the stutterer is unable to produce sounds.

More info at - Stuttering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 7th January 2009, 13:36   #4
BANNED

Stuttering can be overcome with practice.

Few tips:

1. Read books aloud & repeat again.
2. Develop an accent
3. Relax, slow down while speaking
4. Build confidence
Old 7th January 2009, 13:38   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Stuttering can be overcome with practice.

Few tips:

1. Read books aloud & repeat again.
2. Develop an accent
3. Relax, slow down while speaking
4. Build confidence
I wish it was that simple, but alas it isn't!!!

\N
Old 7th January 2009, 13:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post

\N
Don't worry,where there is a will there is a way i would suggest you read books/newspaper/your fav. articles on internet at least 15mins anytime of day.This will help you alot.

I would also suggest you to slowdown in your speech,i guess this will help you gain confidence,again nothing is impossible in this world if you really want to do it
Old 7th January 2009, 13:53   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
i would suggest you read books/newspaper/your fav. articles on internet at least 15mins anytime of day.This will help you alot.
Rightly said but when you do read it LOUD.
Old 7th January 2009, 13:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

I have this problem but the intensity is not very high.
I am having difficulties to speak many words, sometimes to even initiate the the sentence.
All the solutions listed in this thread are of no use to me. I have tried them all but I am not able to overcome this.

This does result into lack of confidence, something one has to face for lifetime. No perfect or rather no 100% solution to this problem.

What I do is shift languages and shift words. This makes life easier.
Old 7th January 2009, 14:51   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
Don't worry,where there is a will there is a way i would suggest you read books/newspaper/your fav. articles on internet at least 15mins anytime of day.This will help you alot.

I would also suggest you to slowdown in your speech,i guess this will help you gain confidence,again nothing is impossible in this world if you really want to do it
Thanx Ramie, I don't intend to undermine your point, but it is really not that simple.

I am 30, and have been stuttering pretty severely since as long as I can remember. I've taken therapy from many but it never helped much. I daily practice elongation/reading techniques for 1 hour, but it helps little in improving my speech, it just keeps it as bad as it is.

Regarding slowing down, believe me this is the easiest thing to suggest and hardest to do. When a stutterer encounters a block, the first impulse it to get out of it anyhow.

But I also accept I've not really tried very hard till now. I once took therapy from Dr. Ramesh Oza of Nanavati Hospital (the guy who helped Hrithik Roshan overcome his stuttering); there was definite improvement. But then due to some family issues, I had to shift to Delhi and had to abandon that therapy.

But now I am at a juncture in my career where speech is very important; and my career is suffering because of this impediment.

So I've decided to take it head-on. Most probably I'll take some time off, and practice therapy full-time intensively.

Thanx

Nitin
Old 7th January 2009, 18:18   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post

\N
Hello nitin,
make some observations. do u stutter only while conversing in english...or in ur vernacular as well...? does the stutter happen while talking to a new person.. or with everyone?
It helps to observe.... so that you can tackle it more specifically....

Nothing like talking to a lot of people ..rather than practising alone.
and as you said, the first thing that one tries is to come out of the stutter when it happens. rather just try closing ur mouth. It wont be easy initially and might appear odd as well.. but then you can be in control over your speech.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th January 2009 at 21:17. Reason: See note. Also please avoid 'u' and 'ur'. Thanks!
Old 7th January 2009, 22:34   #11
BHPian

I always get awestruck by the manner in which guys who stutter sing songs at one go and that too so beautifully.
Old 7th January 2009, 23:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
I always get awestruck by the manner in which guys who stutter sing songs at one go and that too so beautifully.
probably because there is no thinking involved? and the text is same no matter how many times you sing.

interestingly, I don't stutter normally, but I find myself stuttering when I am tired, and have have not had a good night's sleep. words keep slipping out of my mouth (and sometimes mind).
Old 8th January 2009, 10:32   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post
make some observations..... do u stutter only while conversing in english...or in ur vernacular as well...? does the stutter happen while talking to a new person.. or with everyone?
It helps to observe.... so that you can tackle it more specifically....

Nothing like talking to a lot of people ..rather than practising alone.
and as you said, the first thing that one tries is to come out of the stutter when it happens. rather just try closing ur mouth. It wont be easy initially and might appear odd as well.. but then you can be in control over your speech.
I stutter in both English and Hindi, equally badly. My stutter is like a sine curve, there are days when I am totally fluent, and there are days when I can't get a word outta my mouth without stuttering. It is more pronounced under pressure conditions, and while talking to new people and authority figures. It is at it's worst while talking to my ma-in-law ;-)

Stuttering is a vicious circle, people stutter most when they try too hard not to stutter. I am most comfortable with my wife, my family, my friends. I know that they know that I stutter; so there is no pressure on me to be fluent, and therefore I am at my most fluent with them.

\N
Old 8th January 2009, 10:51   #14
BHPian

I think people do stop on some words starting with r, s, o, e, k, t
Try practicing the words which have such starting. It will help you to sort out to some extent
Old 8th January 2009, 11:00   #15
BHPian

Hey, the idea was to meet other stutterers on t-bhp and form groups which can meet and share notes on various techniques they use. But all I've received here is advice and more advice (thanx guys), but no replies from other stutterers.

According to statistics, about 1% of human population stutters; and it is four times more prevalent among males than females. Since t-bhp membership is predominantly male, I expected to find many stutterers. I have received some PMs from covert stutterers, who have asked me not to divulge their names on the forum, I wonder why. But not many replies on this thread from somebody who says - yes, I stutter.

Looks like, people who stutter, don't like cars ;-)

\N

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks