Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2009, 11:36   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Looking around the web at pictures of common kraits discloses that there is a lot of variation in their appearance from individual to individual. This is also true of other venomous snakes. This does not make me a happy camper.
True. The environment and surroundings play a major part in the variations of creatures. Last night I had a dream of being bitten by a snake. Hope it doesnt come true.
Old 29th January 2009, 14:10   #152
Senior - BHPian

Adding to the confusion about the snake's identity. I had emailed the dead snake's snaps to a friend who had done research on snakes as part of her academic pursuit. And the SMS I got from her is "From the pics you sent me, the snake is most probably a krait".
The mystery continues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed
Also,SB, regarding the dead snake that you posted, can you tell me how thick and how long it was. Also the time of day during which it tried sneaking into the house.
Yeah, the zoomed-in pics make it look like a much bigger snake. Will post the details you asked for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan
Looking around the web at pictures of common kraits discloses that there is a lot of variation in their appearance from individual to individual. This is also true of other venomous snakes.
So true. After seeing the various types of krait, I am sure that I will never be able to make out any snake, except maybe the Cobra - which would be easy due to the spectacled hood.
Old 30th January 2009, 15:42   #153
Senior - BHPian

I was googling more on snakes in general and kraits in particular and came across this page, which made me understand why there is so much confusion on what type of snake is the one I posted. I guess it is due to the white rings around the snake + ofcourse the fact that it is a juvenile snake. Have a look at the 3 pics below :

1) Wolf Snake :
Snakes!-wolfsnake.jpg

2) Indian Krait (Khopoli) :
Snakes!-indiankraitkhopoli.jpg

3) Indian Krait (Kerala) :
Snakes!-indiankraitkerala.jpg

All 3 snakes are black/brown in colour with white stripes around them, which could confuse people as to whether they are non-venomous or venomous.
Old 30th January 2009, 16:13   #154
Senior - BHPian

@ supremebaleno : Wolf snakes are non-venomous and are common in auroville(near pondy). But the juvie snake that you've posted looks more like the Indian krait(saying my the scales of the head).

Here is a pic of a small (note : it is in a glass jar) wolfsnake that we caught near my friend's place.

Snakes!-wolfsnake.jpg
Old 30th January 2009, 18:59   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
#I understand that there is some guy in Blore who moves around in an auto and helps rescue reptiles that land up in homes etc. All you need to do is call his mobile or something.
His name is "Snake" Shyam and he lives in Mysore not the Bangalore. Some years back, Discovery channel featured him.
Old 30th January 2009, 21:45   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I was googling more on snakes in general and kraits in particular and came across this page, which made me understand why there is so much confusion on what type of snake is the one I posted. I guess it is due to the white rings around the snake + ofcourse the fact that it is a juvenile snake. Have a look at the 3 pics below :

All 3 snakes are black/brown in colour with white stripes around them, which could confuse people as to whether they are non-venomous or venomous.
The wolf snake has a slightly broader head whereas the krait is more flat. The 3rd picture shows a krait in kerala so I have no doubt that the dead snake is indeed a krait. I guess the coloration differs in kerala. The only reason i had my doubts was because I came across pictures of a rat snake with the same coloration. But Iam still wondering how it entered the house during the day since they are nocturnal. I guess only the snake knows what it was trying to do during the day.
Old 30th January 2009, 23:54   #157
BHPian

but in certain ways still in - It's said that snakes interbreed, eg cobras and rat snake. I may be wrong... What are these off springs called, do they tend to be poisonous or non-poisonous. and coming to the thread, can the juvenile snake that the center of our discussion be one of the above as it's had many similarities with various breeds.
Old 31st January 2009, 11:02   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
but in certain ways still in - It's said that snakes interbreed, eg cobras and rat snake. I may be wrong... What are these off springs called, do they tend to be poisonous or non-poisonous. and coming to the thread, can the juvenile snake that the center of our discussion be one of the above as it's had many similarities with various breeds.
Hearing that for the first time. I dont think that snake is an interbred one.
Old 31st January 2009, 11:24   #159

For almost all the species, the skin color vary as per the habitat, diet, and climatic conditions it lives in. It is applicable for every living being, not only snakes. Kraits being nocturnal does not completely mean that they do not venture outside during day hours. Kraits are nocturnal by choice, they do not have any problem with their senses while venturing outside during the day. They are slightly intolerant to heat and light, and hence choose to be indoors during day hours. This snake in the picture might have chosen to get indoors in search of a dark corner to hide.

This thread is kinda spooky...guess what!!...a baby cobra, about 8 inches long, was found trying to make itself comfortable inside my shoes yesterday. Good thing that I check my shoes before plunging my feet inside. The cute little thing was also relocated safely. I am encountering more snakes these days. I think the large scale construction activites going around might be disturbing their natural habitat.
Old 1st February 2009, 00:38   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
Hearing that for the first time. I dont think that snake is an interbred one.
Like I said earlier, I may be wrong and might be stating an old Myth, I heard someone say that jus the other day, so thought I'd mention it here. I personally don't think so too..
Old 1st February 2009, 03:15   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperadoxx View Post
...a baby cobra, about 8 inches long, was found trying to make itself comfortable inside my shoes yesterday.
I try to have compassion for any creature trying to make a home of my shoes. Snakes born devoid of a sense of smell are to be pitied.

Venom in young snakes is often much more toxic and concentrated than adults.(This must be true, I saw it on the Discovery Channel.) The young ones can be even more deadly if their heads and jaws are big enough to get hold of you.
Old 1st February 2009, 03:32   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
but in certain ways still in - It's said that snakes interbreed, eg cobras and rat snake. I may be wrong... .
It is very rare that one species of animal will try to mate with another.
Rare, but it does happen. Usually the fetus or egg of such a pairing matures to a certain point and then the animal aborts. But, rarely, the offspring is carried to term. Then it may well not be adapted to live in its surroundings or have other defects and deformities and not survive. Often they are born sterile and can not reproduce. And, very, very rarely such progeny survive and thrive. It is one of the least studied phenomena in biology but there is more interest in it now with the advent of DNA tracing and analysis.

I site the star-crossed romance between "Bullwinkle" the moose and "Jessica" the cow a few year ago. This torid relationship sparked a lot of bad poetry including, "Ode to a Lovesick Moose". Both families threatened violence.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 1st February 2009 at 03:35.
Old 2nd February 2009, 10:51   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SB, regarding the dead snake that you posted, can you tell me how thick and how long it was. Also the time of day during which it tried sneaking into the house.
It was around 11AM when it tried to enter the house. Length was around 2 feet and thickness/circumference between 1-1.5 inches.

Quote:
The 3rd picture shows a krait in kerala so I have no doubt that the dead snake is indeed a krait.
Till proven otherwise, I am also taking it as a krait for the time-being. My wife was initially relieved when the consensus said it is a rat-snake, but after the evidence points to a krait, she is quite worried. I can understand. More so because a juvenile snake points to the possible presence of more such juveniles in the area. Not a good sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperadoxx
This thread is kinda spooky...guess what!!...a baby cobra, about 8 inches long, was found trying to make itself comfortable inside my shoes yesterday. Good thing that I check my shoes before plunging my feet inside.
When at Kerala I am gonna be extra careful with shoes henceforth.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 2nd February 2009 at 10:52.
Old 2nd February 2009, 19:39   #164
BHPian

This is the python caught outside the restaurant we were dining at.
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes!-picture-055-resized.jpg  

Old 6th February 2009, 01:31   #165
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, I know, just when you thought this thread would finally die a natural death some poopy head goes and adds something.

Just a note, scientists have just discovered the fossil remains of a gigantic snake they have named Titana Boa. It was found in Northern Columbia South America and lived 60 million years ago. It was at least 45 feet long and weighed at least 2500 pounds. It was capable of eating whole crocodiles or cow sized animals. No joke, Google it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks