Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2010, 20:12   #241
BHPian

@Promod,

Thanks for the information, Ignorance can get you or a poor animal in this case killed. Goes to show how little I know about the snakes in my country. It would be really nice if you could help me out with some links or suggest some sites to gain more knowledge about them.

I sort of grew up in the mountains and trekking and roaming about in the wilderness is still one of my favorite pass times. All the knowledge I have is thanks to Nat GEO, Discovery (lord bless discovery and Nat geo) and a rather adventurous visit to the Chennai Snake farm. So ya half knowledge isn't the best.

I have always been fascinated by Snakes and Scorpions, are there any snake handlers that you know off in an around Mumbai who would let someone eager to learn intern with them.

@ Addy

Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 4th January 2010, 20:46   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1FIAT View Post
Any guess? which is this one?

Attachment 256491
This one is a bamboo pit viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post

btw, pramod, I think you have got the 'formers' and 'latters' mixed up (in your previous post).I think you meant to say that the Russell's Viper & Saw scaled vipers are closer to human settlements and hence they are more infamous whereas the Malabar Pit viper & the bamboo pit viper live in dense forests with very little human contact.
I read it again i felt i wrote the correct thing but anyways, The malabar pit vipers are usually spread across the western ghats, While the humped nose viper is very common like the russells, the bamboo pit vipers are found across india, usually camouflaged in dense vegetation, this can be a forest or thick bushes in your backyard if you live in kerala.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post

To the mods: Don't you guys think this thread would be better in the Shifting Gears section. I feel this is out of place under the current heading
I too feel now this thread has gone extremely off topic and without much shame i can admit i have a big hand in that . I like to go off roading like most of the people who like spending their most time in this section. If you read this thread from the begning you would understand the amount of misconsuptions we have about these illusive creatures. Every jeeper is a guest in their territory, so he should understand the dynamics of their nature. Its extreamly important for people to understand that they have equal rights to live like us. I will search and post you some pics of some of our jeepers trying to pindown the head of a bamboo pit viper with a 15" stick. Mistakes like these in these hostile condition could mean life. This thread is to make people learn to avoid most common mistakes and i would be glad to share the little drops of knowledge i have picked up from this vast ocean.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 4th January 2010 at 20:51.
Old 4th January 2010, 21:19   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I will search and post you some pics of some of our jeepers trying to pindown the head of a bamboo pit viper with a 15" stick. Mistakes like these in these hostile condition could mean life.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...we-caught-.jpg

Reference

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...tml#post890075

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianchiefrsd View Post
@Promod,

Thanks for the information, Ignorance can get you or a poor animal in this case killed. Goes to show how little I know about the snakes in my country. It would be really nice if you could help me out with some links or suggest some sites to gain more knowledge about them.

I sort of grew up in the mountains and trekking and roaming about in the wilderness is still one of my favorite pass times. All the knowledge I have is thanks to Nat GEO, Discovery (lord bless discovery and Nat geo) and a rather adventurous visit to the Chennai Snake farm. So ya half knowledge isn't the best.

I have always been fascinated by Snakes and Scorpions, are there any snake handlers that you know off in an around Mumbai who would let someone eager to learn intern with them.

@ Addy

Thanks for the encouragement.
You are welcome, let me find out if someone conducts demos in bombay, these are people who spread awareness about snakes and they will surly teach people. The rescuers will not be of much help,as they are extreamly busy people and always on their toes, there is a rescuer near my house ~3kms and despite of me calling him we have not met yet due to his extreamly busy schedule. You can alternatively visit erula village or chennai snake farm, they do have training sessions. I know some people who can help if you are heading that side.

Pramod
Old 5th January 2010, 18:31   #244
BHPian

ok this is some thing i will never doo...
Old 7th January 2010, 17:42   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I bought it in highschool, early 80s. It must be there in my brother's house in Bangalore.
Prince/samurai,

if the refered book is "snakes of India"the feild guide its available now in bglre.I took one just today from Sapana books at Gandibazar.

Raj
Old 8th January 2010, 13:08   #246
Senior - BHPian

This poster from WHO of the Big-5 might help people identify the dangerours from the harmless look-alikes.
Snakes!-snakeposter.jpg
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2010, 14:27   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
This poster from WHO of the Big-5 might help people identify the dangerours from the harmless look-alikes.
Attachment 260242
Awesome Job SB, This is the best contribution to this thread so far.

Pramod
Old 8th January 2010, 16:56   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Snakes are deaf!!!

They however can feel vibrations through the ground; so what you need to do is to make sound with your footwear - like dragging and/or stomping your feet, "slithering" your heels, etc.
HAHAHAHA.Good one Sir.
Old 9th January 2010, 11:29   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajachu View Post
Prince/samurai,

if the refered book is "snakes of India"the feild guide its available now in bglre.I took one just today from Sapana books at Gandibazar.

Raj
Hey Raj, how much did it cost you? did you buy the english or the hindi version?
Old 9th January 2010, 12:29   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
Hey Raj, how much did it cost you? did you buy the english or the hindi version?
prince, i bought the english one and costed me Rs 975/-

Raj
Old 11th January 2010, 10:40   #251
BHPian

Quote:
prince, i bought the english one and costed me Rs 975/-

Raj
Thanks Raj. The last time I wanted to buy it, it was out or print. Glad they printed it again. Need to get someone to send me over a copy to Coorg.
Old 11th January 2010, 12:24   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
Thanks Raj. The last time I wanted to buy it, it was out or print. Glad they printed it again. Need to get someone to send me over a copy to Coorg.
U want me organise this?let me know

Raj
Old 12th January 2010, 10:37   #253
BHPian

Quote:
U want me organise this?let me know

Raj
Thanks raj. Am trying to source it online.If it doesn't happen then I shall trouble you to courier me a copy if possible.
Old 12th January 2010, 12:32   #254
BHPian

Whitaker Romul's Snakes Of India: The Field Guide - Buy Whitaker Romul books in India at Rediff Books

Hope this helps. I had purchased it for 2500 bucks a year or more back!

Last edited by rhandle : 12th January 2010 at 12:45.
Old 16th January 2010, 22:08   #255
Senior - BHPian

Some people near our house found a Viper in the bushes near the roadside, so I called up our local snake expert (pramodkumar) and he came within 20 minutes to the scene. Unfortunately couldn't spot the snake. The place was damp and it was pitch dark too. The local guys were planning to kill the snake if they found it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks