Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2010, 21:30   #361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
Some pictures of a beddome's keelback that just literally slithered onto my feet totally unknown to me. It is a male about 18 inches long.
It looks so cute and innocent . Somehow i used to like only cobra and the other snakes never looked good to me. But now most of the snakes look good to me all beacuse of this thread
Old 11th May 2010, 21:39   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
It looks so cute and innocent . Somehow i used to like only cobra and the other snakes never looked good to me. But now most of the snakes look good to me all beacuse of this thread
It is a very cute snake and would make a great pet. Behaves itself, never bites and doesn't jump up and down to be fed. Fortunately or unfortunately, snakes are not allowed as pets.
Old 12th May 2010, 12:15   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey zenx, where in Coorg do you stay buddy? I keep reading that you travel almost every weekend or so.
I stay in Bangalore - but keep visiting our place at Chettimani, a little before Bhagamandala. Have been finding the odd snake now and then, and this thread got me totally hooked
Old 12th May 2010, 15:32   #364
Senior - BHPian

princezahed - thats a good initiative by you. Thanks.

Though I stay in an area with heavy vegetation, have seen only the rat snake around my house. In fact we had one fairly long chap taking rest on our gate grills when it rains - It was a sort of gate-keeper for us and had scared away a bunch of guys who came to collect 'chanda' for a temple festival. Loved that moment
Old 12th May 2010, 20:42   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
I stay in Bangalore - but keep visiting our place at Chettimani, a little before Bhagamandala. Have been finding the odd snake now and then, and this thread got me totally hooked
Ok. You travel every weekend? meet up sometime when your there next.I stay in mekeri on the murnad road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
princezahed - thats a good initiative by you. Thanks.

Though I stay in an area with heavy vegetation, have seen only the rat snake around my house. In fact we had one fairly long chap taking rest on our gate grills when it rains - It was a sort of gate-keeper for us and had scared away a bunch of guys who came to collect 'chanda' for a temple festival. Loved that moment
Rat snakes are found plenty in our area. There is one which has taken shelter in a small burrow near our gate. They are very strong snakes.

Iam done with the snakes I caught. I have seen a cobra as well but dint have my camera at that time. I will keep posting whenever I find any other snakes.

I do have photos of a species that is rare and not much is known about it,but the photos are very poor since they were taken with my mobile.
Old 17th May 2010, 13:07   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok.
I do have photos of a species that is rare and not much is known about it,but the photos are very poor since they were taken with my mobile.
Pls go ahead and post it - at lease some info is better than none
Old 17th May 2010, 17:40   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Those photos are not with me right now. Also, i dont know if I should post it here, considering that the regular's who used to discuss on this thread seem to have vanished. hardly anyone seems to visit this thread.
Old 18th May 2010, 10:17   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1, Zahed, no need to worry if anyone will look at those pics or not. Atleast I monitor the thread most of the time.
Old 18th May 2010, 14:04   #369
BHPian

princehead post it.we are all watching as this thread is all about skill and knwoldge those have the same only will talk.but be sure we are all watching

Raj
Old 19th May 2010, 20:22   #370
BHPian

Hill Keelback

One of the more uncommon snakes found in India. Its range lies only in the western ghats and even in that, it is seen very uncommonly. I have had the fortune of not just finding and holding it, but also studying its behaviour pattern, which incidentally has not been mentioned even in the Field guide of Dr Romulus Whitaker. Have even sent him a mail on the same and got his response.

The photographs below have been taken via my mobile and are not good. Please bear with me since I have no other pictures.

Both snakes in this case are actually the same,taken on different days with different mobiles. This is a female and it even had the company of a male. Sadly, she ate the male. god knows if he was'nt good in bed - or rather in the bucket to her.he he.

Released her few weeks back after noting whatever behaviour details that I could. She seemed a bit restless,maybe because she wanted to go lay eggs or what, god knows.

The last 2pics show her shedding skin. Looks like one snake is being gobbled up by another.
Attached Thumbnails
Snakes!-photo0011.jpg  

Snakes!-photo0014.jpg  

Snakes!-photo0034.jpg  

Snakes!-photo0037.jpg  

princezahed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2010, 09:38   #371
Senior - BHPian

Woah princezahed you might have accidentally uncovered some secret here buddy !!

I am as big an Animal Lover as a Petrohead and am constantly updating myself with knowledge. I never knew that Keelbacks Canibolize!

In fact I always believed that King Cobra was the only Snake Eater in India.
Old 20th May 2010, 12:23   #372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Woah princezahed you might have accidentally uncovered some secret here buddy !!

I am as big an Animal Lover as a Petrohead and am constantly updating myself with knowledge. I never knew that Keelbacks Canibolize!

In fact I always believed that King Cobra was the only Snake Eater in India.
I never knew this species being so small is cannibalistic, but I was shocked when the male went missing and the female was unable to move around properly due to an over sized belly. Even sent some behavioral data to Gerry Martin and Dr Romulus Whitaker but don't really know if they would utilize it or just dismiss it as a crazy guy making up stories.
Old 20th May 2010, 12:28   #373
MX6
Senior - BHPian

WOW! Didn't know there's a thread for snakes here! I'm going to spend the next couple of hours reading this from beginning!
Old 20th May 2010, 12:48   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
WOW! Didn't know there's a thread for snakes here! I'm going to spend the next couple of hours reading this from beginning!
I hope you like it. Do add your inputs and knowledge if you would like to share anything.
Old 20th May 2010, 21:15   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed
i dont know if I should post it here, considering that the regular's who used to discuss on this thread seem to have vanished. hardly anyone seems to visit this thread.
Dont know about others, but I am subscribed to this thread and check updates regularly.

BTW, the latest set of photos / info about the cannibalistic keelback was good.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks