Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2009, 13:49   #31
Senior - BHPian

I do adore Mr VM for his flamboyant and aggressive business style.

But in this case could it be that the Indian Govt was using Mr VM to bid on its behalf?As the Indian Govt, due to the Delhi High Court ruling could not bid for the items directly?

This might be a facing saving tactics used by the Indian Govt??????

But whatever the case might be I am happy the Gandhi Ji's memrobillia is back where it belongs. I hope the Kohinoor also goes under the hammer while VM is still around.
Old 6th March 2009, 13:51   #32
BANNED

Govt 'procured Gandhi items' through Mallya

How did Gandhi's items land in US?

Last known about these items:
  • Eyeglasses were given as a gift to Col. Muhammad Mahabat Khanji III, who ruled a princely Indian state called Junagadh, when he asked Gandhi for inspiration at an ashram in 1930. "Gandhi said to him, these were the eyes that had given him vision to free India,"
  • The watch, the bowl and the plate were given by Gandhi to his grandniece Abha Gandhi while he was still alive. She, in turn, willed it to her daughter Gita Mehta.
The question is why India must have these items within its territory? Since Gandhi's principles are universal it doesn't matter where these items are.

I agree, it will be a good value addition to a museum which displays these items (in case Mallya gives it a Museum). Otherwise its yet another addition to Mallya's collections
Old 6th March 2009, 13:52   #33
BANNED

No comments.

A STANDING OVATION to a TRUE INDIAN Mr VJM

Our UPA Govt
Old 6th March 2009, 14:00   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Why is it ironic? Just because he is a liquor baron doesn't make him a villan. I respect Gandhi, I drink beer, I drink KF..I dont think I have double standards.

When the Aussie Cricket team visited India, a group of Aussies were sporting T-shirts which had the following slogan
Quote:
"Beer with Mahatma, bets with Gupta, dance with Indira and still getting the runs."
They got evicted & were forced to change their tees and come back for the match. We are sensitive to such silly frilly things but embrace the exact opposite of what Gandhi advocated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
So Dilip Doshi! That was really good of him. I dont know what he does now but you have to applaud his efforts too.
I loved him during his playing career. Still cannot forgive Gavaskar for what he did to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Gandhiji himself surely would not have liked it for 2 reasons:

1) Because he was opposed to liquor.
Vijay Mallya is our saviour.

Last edited by GTO : 25th February 2012 at 12:33. Reason: Removing picture that has been deemed inappropriate
Old 6th March 2009, 14:03   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
I do adore Mr VM for his flamboyant and aggressive business style.

But in this case could it be that the Indian Govt was using Mr VM to bid on its behalf?As the Indian Govt, due to the Delhi High Court ruling could not bid for the items directly?

This might be a facing saving tactics used by the Indian Govt??????

But whatever the case might be I am happy the Gandhi Ji's memrobillia is back where it belongs. I hope the Kohinoor also goes under the hammer while VM is still around.
The Indian Govt is a bunch of corrupt wimps. They must have allocated some money for this auction and then someone must have got it transferred to his/her swiss bank account.

Thank You VM! You are using all that money you have to the best possible use. F1, Indian Heritage, Kingfisher..the list goes on!

YOU TRULY ARE THE KING OF GOOD TIMES!
Old 6th March 2009, 14:03   #36
Senior - BHPian

Just some points:
1. While I too am against alcohol, I appreciate the fact that VM showed a great deal of respect to Gandhi by buying the items and then donating them to the country. No ulterior motives or publicity stunt. His business field and preferences are within the law. I think VM has a lot more than just alcohol in his blood and business!!
2. About the government: Should they have officially bid and bought the items?
US$ 1.8 million is about Rs. 100,000,000 - yes a hundred million rupees! I personally feel that if they had spent that much in getting it back, there would have been a debate about whether that much money could have been put to better use.
They did have a very delayed response to the auction - a more aggressive approach in communicating with Mr. Otis and in requesting would have been preferred, although I'm not sure if it would have changed things! At least they could have shown more interest in the items!
3. Legality: I'm wondering how the things got into Mr Otis hands. Was it stolen? Was it illegally taken? If it was not given to him (or the previous owners) can't the Gandhi family actually claim it was stolen. I mean, my grandfathers posessions are legally mine unless he (or his family) gave it or sold it to someone else. I believe this was the reason the previous Gandhi auction was stopped.
4. Mr. Otis seems quite business minded in my opinion and I really don't hold him in high opinion at all. Most of his statements are inconsistent and very calculative. He has a right to be that way... but yet...
5. What about the Kohinoor and literally thousands of items that would qualify as heritage of our country presently not in our posession. Should the government buy them all back (and spend millions of rupees). How do they decide what to buy and how much to buy it for and what not to buy? Can they exert any legal pressure for some of these items - I'm sure our country has enough people who know exactly how and why these articles left the country!
6. Ok so now we get these articles into India - what next. Do they lie forgotten in some corner of an office or some dusty museum? Will they be displayed well so that Indians and others can view them. Will they be used to spread the Gandhian history and heritage and philosophies? Will they make a difference at all? Or will they just be forgotten in a months time??!!
We can each answer these questions honestly and draw opinions. But I hope that it goes beyond just discussions and a 'feeling' of goodness!
Old 6th March 2009, 14:10   #37
Senior - BHPian

Tomorow when I have my weekly dose of Royal challenge Whiskey - i will raise a toast to VM - truly admire his quick action

and Guys -
just one request

When we address the great man , the father of the nation - lets atleast do so by calling him MAHATMA or GANDHIJI - goes a long way in reaffirming our respect for him - whether or not we follow his principles is a different matter

thanks
Old 6th March 2009, 14:13   #38
Senior - BHPian

Respect.

Good one VM.
Old 6th March 2009, 14:15   #39
Senior - BHPian

Will there be customs duties imposed on these items when they are brought in?
Now that the government says it has bought it indirectly, will it come through without laws being applied to it?

There was news that Tipu's sword is not in India because customs does not waive the duties. VJM has said he is not going to bring it back unless government drops the duties on such items (It actually came in and left India again)
Old 6th March 2009, 14:17   #40
Senior - BHPian

I dont want to get into the debate of worth it or not but only have to say Good One VM. Applause for you
Old 6th March 2009, 14:24   #41
Senior - BHPian

I did expected that Mallaya will bid for the items and buy them. But I don't know that if I'm really feeling good about this bid and win.
Old 6th March 2009, 14:28   #42
BHPian

There was no idea whatsoever that was going to bid for it. This is a pleasant surprise. Hats off to him
Old 6th March 2009, 14:44   #43
Senior - BHPian

Bloody shameful that govt was not ready to spend money and some one else had to . What if mallya dint come forward to buy ? .
Old 6th March 2009, 14:58   #44
BHPian

Liqour or no liqour , the person saved the face of the nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
The ideals are all ok, but then adhereing to what you just propounded, nobody, including our own Govt would've qualified to bid.
I second that, Govt. itself encourages liqour shops and chains;it can't do without the taxes on liqour items.In such a case even Govt is not worthy to claim it.

Well to take the argument to deeper levels : the present owner of Gandhiji's items might have been drinking liqour as well and consuming beef too.
in such a case it is better to retrieve those items a.s.a.p and let them rest in hands of liqour baron who alteast doesn't eat cows.(hey just kidding.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Govt 'procured Gandhi items' through Mallya
The question is why India must have these items within its territory? Since Gandhi's principles are universal it doesn't matter where these items are.

A valid question. Till now no one is bothered to enquire the whereabouts of the items . But now that they are being marketed with Gandhi's name ,which raises respect from every corner of the country,it is upto this 100 odd crores population to see that the items tagged with that iconic name doesn't fall into bad hands and get insulted.
Very glad that many Indians participated and the winner is Indian too.

Last edited by deetee : 6th March 2009 at 14:59.
Old 6th March 2009, 15:00   #45
Senior - BHPian

I think it is good that government did not spend such a huge sum. Whether they are utilising tax payers money properly is another question. But we belong to a country where around 40% of the population live under the poverty line and struggle to get one day meal.

I am against liquor and do not have any respect for VM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks