Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2009, 08:05   #1
BHPian

Vijay Mallya buys Gandhi items for $1.8 million

Mahatma Gandhi’s memorabilia went under the hammer in New York early on Friday morning (India time) after hours of high drama.

Liquor baron Vijay Mallya bought Gandhi’s items for $1.8 million. The collection had a reserve price of between $20,000 and $30,000. Bidding began at $20,000 and rose to the final price within seven minutes.

Isn't it ironical that a liquor baron has to step in retrive Gandhi's belongings.
Strange indeed is this world!

-- Wind
Old 6th March 2009, 08:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

This guy wears his patriotism on his sleeve, and is ready put his money behind it. Hats off - he acted swiftly even as the government was figuring out what to do. Awesome.
Old 6th March 2009, 08:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
Isn't it ironical that a liquor baron has to step in retrive Gandhi's belongings.

-- Wind
Why is it ironic? Just because he is a liquor baron doesn't make him a villan. I respect Gandhi, I drink beer, I drink KF..I dont think I have double standards.
Old 6th March 2009, 08:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

I remember seeing some news items that the Govt. will do all it can possibly do to get these items to India.

Quote:
However, the US justice department has asked the Antiquorum Auctioneers to hold the lot for two weeks pending a resolution between the new owner, the US and Indian Government.
Mallya is then expected to return the items to the Government of India.
Old 6th March 2009, 09:40   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Why is it ironic? Just because he is a liquor baron doesn't make him a villan. I respect Gandhi, I drink beer, I drink KF..I dont think I have double standards.
Agree with Mpower, atleast Mallya has taken initiative to bring Gandhi's belongings back to our country, if not by the Govt. Truly appreciate his efforts.
Old 6th March 2009, 09:50   #6
BANNED

Our govt is chicken and he is the King, who doesn't know this simple fact.

Bless you Mallya.
Old 6th March 2009, 09:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

VM did a right thing and held nation's pride togather.But Ambanis and Tatas could have done this too.what stopped them.On top Ambanis are based out of Gujarat the home of gandhiji.
In the end Im glad the nation's pride is saved.
Old 6th March 2009, 09:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
This guy wears his patriotism on his sleeve, and is ready put his money behind it. Hats off - he acted swiftly even as the government was figuring out what to do. Awesome.
Yeah. I'll add a thumbs up to this post.
Old 6th March 2009, 10:05   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Exactly.
Vijay Mallya does business and does it well. That liquor business has helped him buy out Shaw Wallace, launch a good airline, own a cricket team, made him the first Indian to own a Formula 1 team and now this. We should be proud of him. Where are all the others when India needs them?
Well done, Sir!
Old 6th March 2009, 10:13   #10
BHPian

Hats off to you VM!
Old 6th March 2009, 10:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

BUT have the goods and money exchanged hands?. The auction house is apparently stuck in some legality over the owner withdrawing the items from the auction BEFORE it took place. Maybe.. just maybe - it was not theirs to auction in the first place??
Old 6th March 2009, 10:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

Well done VM. It's good to see Indians like him who act quickly and waste no time in thinking. If you sell alcohol doesnt mean you are a bad person. Just look where VM has put India on the world map. He is always ready to take on new risks. Force India is also a classic example. While some would refrain from something like picking up a down a out team VM went right ahead and bought it. That is we see a tri coloured F1 car on the grid today.

The great grandson of the Mahatma, Mr Tushar Gandhi is a very close friend of mine. I have worked with him for several years. The other day I was sitting with him and he was very tense about the whole thing. He is very much relieved now. Hes just waiting for the items to come back to India.

He does browse Team BHP regularly and will be happy to see the support by everyone here.

Well done VM. We are proud of you.
Old 6th March 2009, 10:41   #13
Senior - BHPian

Previously he had bought items belonging to Tipu Sultan. Now this. What are the others doing?

From NY times,
At that point, the contest essentially narrowed to Tony Bedi, representing Mr. Mallya, and Arlan Ettinger, the president of Guernsey’s auction house, representing a former Indian cricketer, Dilip Doshi, who was said to be interested in donating the items to the Indian government. The price continued to rise until Mr. Bedi made the winning $1.8 million bid, and the room burst into applause. “He is bringing the heritage of the items back to India,” Mr. Bedi said of Mr. Mallya

So Dilip Doshi! That was really good of him. I dont know what he does now but you have to applaud his efforts too.

Last edited by srishiva : 6th March 2009 at 10:57.
Old 6th March 2009, 10:57   #14
BHPian

Would you rather, the artifacts remain in foreign hands? Man, shouldn't we be glad that it's now atleast in Indian hands rather than someone who merely would consider it an investment?

Well, the next question is why wouldn't VM consider this just an investment?
The ans: He has already set a precedent by successfully bidding for the Tipu's items.

Last edited by suren181 : 6th March 2009 at 10:58.
Old 6th March 2009, 11:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Why is it ironical in the first place? All those other non-liquor barons didn't even blink. Gandhiji, who spent most of his time at Jamnalal Bajaj's place, did not elicit any staement from Rahul Bajaj who otherwise doesn't hesitate even for a sec to reiterate this fact.

Tipu Sultan's sword was bought back where it rightfully belonged by Mallya and now Gandhi's. Liquor or no liquor, this has got nothing to do with patriotic sentiments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post

-- Wind

Last edited by gd1418 : 6th March 2009 at 11:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks