Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2009, 15:52   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Advertising - Newspapers - Pamphlets

Has anyone here tried this form of advertising? Inserting pamphlets into newspapers? How do I go about it? (not the actual insertion - but contacting the respective vendors etc). How do I find newspaper delivery firms in my area of Bangalore? What kind of prices can I expect for this form of service? Has anyone tried this and has it worked for you? Do's and don'ts?

Any advice - much appreciated!
Old 19th March 2009, 16:04   #2
BANNED

Not a direct experience.

But this is what someone i know in Mumbai does. He runs 3 Gyms around different localities.

He gets the pamphlets printed and catches hold of a couple of guys to pass them on to all the newspaper vendors who deliver to the doorstep in that area. Early morning before they leave these are added to each newspaper and he pays 500 to each delivery man.

In a cool 2-3k he has covered thousands of households in the that area.

This would help if your service is for a particular product catering to a certain area.

He obviously dosent want to target whole of Mumbai with the additional pamphlets. For that an advertisement in the newspaper itself is a better way.
Old 19th March 2009, 16:09   #3
Team-BHP Support

I had done that ages ago for my uncles business, at Delhi.

1- You may not need newspaper delivery firms. Speak to the guy who delivers newspaper at your place and ask him the source. In my case, it was a single point that serviced the entire locality. So it depends on the target area and then decide.

2- The charges are around 30-500p per pamphlet.

3- Please ensure that you stand on the guys head when he is inserting the pamphlet in the newspapers. Otherwise, he will put more than one pamphlet in each newspaper and reduce the load.
Old 19th March 2009, 16:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Did it for a cousin in early college days.

He started up his Airtel Prepaid Distributorship business and wanted to aware public for some schemes and benefits. We catch hold of some newspapers hawkers early morning at the place from where they usually start up i.e. paper is dilvered from newspaper offices and the job was done for around 0.25p/insertion or a lumpsum amount say 50Rs or 100Rs for the same.

Though catch over here is to get the insertion in each paper in front of you only. As these hawkers tend to insert till you are in front else they just throw away the pamphlets.

If your related business is locality level then best is to go for pamphlets or cable tv advertisments. Else if it is City Level try catching up the radio advertisment.
Old 19th March 2009, 16:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yes Have done it in Chennai years back and its effective. You can have the pamplets printed out from the DTP/printers and just talk to the shop/person who delivers paper to you and rest will be done.

Also, as eddy pointed out, make sure your presence is there. Else, more than half will go to the waste paper shop and turn back into currencies
Old 19th March 2009, 16:21   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, read his signature.

He started a thread here and even then could not get an answer to that. He is now thinking of getting his 'Groceries: ?' part answered through newspaper/pamphlets.

Do you think it will work? or should he try the Radio/Cable TV way?
Old 19th March 2009, 16:23   #7
BANNED

He is getting a Scorpio MHawk to ferry the groceries no?

From 3 lakhs to 8.5 lakhs, thats a very costly shopping cart.

Last edited by Spitfire : 19th March 2009 at 16:27.
Old 19th March 2009, 16:25   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

He he he. That's what everyone thinks. Latest from the grapevine is that the '?' is still there .

Or maybe he his thinking of advertising his 'expensive shopping cart' in his locality through pamphlets.
Old 19th March 2009, 16:49   #9
BHPian

I had done this kind of thing a long time back for our dance classes. What we did was to go to the place where these vendors assemble in the morning (mostly railway station in Mumbai) and catch hold of one of them if you are targetting particular area or many more if you want to cover more then one areas. They would charge around 200/250 bucks and put the inserts in the newspapers. It is better to request them not to put more then one in each paper.

Now comes the most important thing. Reach the place by 4.30 to 5.00 am. This is the time when they start the sorting before delivery. Any later then that means no one would insert the pamplets.

The ratio of actual sales to no of Pamplets distributed, would be 10:200 so it depends on what is needed to be advertised.

You could also try with your newspaper vendor if he is ready to do it, if so then handover the pamplets to him the day earlier.

My two cents

Mansi
Old 19th March 2009, 17:55   #10
BHPian

I had done this for a retail fish joint that i partnered into in bandra, worked well, for me, just make sure the brand recall is there do it in intervals, say every sunday or monday.
I chose sunday and monday because i feel these days the newspaper is read by most of them, even the occasional ones.

Process is same as manaa has said, early morning, and to make sure that the put in all the copies, one more thing you will surely be shocked to hear the number of newspapers delivered in your area.
Old 19th March 2009, 18:36   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

First off - thank you guys! I was expecting a very patchy response on this topic, but its gratifying know that TBHP consists of such a wide demography of people. Fantastic.

Almost all your experiences point out to the same process. So I will follow it. Next week, I will head out to near Mittal Towers in Bangalore, which is where the pick-up/processing takes place for these newspaper guys and do a dry run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Guys, read his signature.

He started a thread here and even then could not get an answer to that. He is now thinking of getting his 'Groceries: ?' part answered through newspaper/pamphlets.

Do you think it will work? or should he try the Radio/Cable TV way?
What to do man...when I post an auto query in an auto forum I dont get any response, and when I post a non-auto query, I get 10 responses pat down the back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

If my groceries are really good looking women, and I have to ferry them - this should work. Depends on what you call groceries though...considering groceries are for daily consumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
He he he. That's what everyone thinks. Latest from the grapevine is that the '?' is still there .

Or maybe he his thinking of advertising his 'expensive shopping cart' in his locality through pamphlets.
Thats a good idea. Though if my true purpose were known, the SRS local chapter would begin burning every scorpio on the road and hunt me down as well.

Spitfire wrote something about my willy, but it got deleted. Looks like our Mod's are SRS activists in the shadows? Whew, This two smiley thing a post really ensures you strategise all the way whilst writing.
Old 20th March 2009, 11:35   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
If my groceries are really good looking women, and I have to ferry them - this should work.
With women its not what you drive its how much you can drive....

Hey was hoping to see some pamphlets today with the grocery cart, what happened? Did go through page 3, another tip: you should staple your pamphlets on that page.

Last edited by Spitfire : 20th March 2009 at 11:37.
Old 20th March 2009, 11:40   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Staple them? Thats a good idea, so that the pamphlets wont fall...could piss some people off when they try to remove it...but swell idea...will use that one! Time to go out and get a few heavy duty staplers.
Old 20th March 2009, 11:43   #14
BHPian

I doubt the vendor will do that Red Liner, but still no harm in checking it out. Never thought of though
Old 20th March 2009, 11:49   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
I doubt the vendor will do that Red Liner, but still no harm in checking it out. Never thought of though
Hmm...maybe a few extra bucks might do the trick...no harm in asking + pushing for it I guess...but yeah, will definitely slow these guys down...

Last edited by Red Liner : 20th March 2009 at 11:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks