Team-BHP - Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/5567-help-smoking-team-bhp-members-quit-smoking-19.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kb100 (Post 1182471)
Bright side - I had a Lung Function test last week. The results show my lung capacity @ 114% despite being about 25 kgs overweight! That means my lungs are back to peak form!

Hmmm... Interesting. What is this test exactly? What other tests are there to see the extent of damage done due to smoking?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 1182483)
and Sikh, well they aint allowed to smoke anyways.

Which religion allows you to smoke?lol:

Good point though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ak916 (Post 1182485)
Hmmm... Interesting. What is this test exactly? What other tests are there to see the extent of damage done due to smoking?

Well... don't know about the others, but Lung Function tests are otherwise known as Pulmonary Function Tests -PFTs - (Maybe because LFT also stands for Liver Function Test. )

The most common of the PFTs is something called SPIROMETRY Spirometry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proxima (Post 1182533)

Good point though.

Sikhism explicitly bans smoking.
For more info just google it up.

Just touching base to let you know that it's been 15 days and 15 hours since I stopped smoking. Not completely, I admit; it's confined to one a day on most days - I need a cigarette to fall asleep at night, don't ask me why!:Frustrati

However, the craving for a cig throughout the day has almost gone - except when someone else lights up nearby. Been trying to studiously avoid all those friends who smoke...

Are there any aids available anywhere in Delhi that can help quit smoking? Like nicotine patches, chewing gums, mouth sprays, et al?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proxima (Post 1182533)

Good point though.

Certain sects of Hinduism does. And the smoke that's sanctioned by those sects of Hinduism is something more potent than tobacco. It's a particular weed that Mahadev is supposed to be fond of !! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 1193112)
Just touching base to let you know that it's been 15 days and 15 hours since I stopped smoking. Not completely, I admit; it's confined to one a day on most days - I need a cigarette to fall asleep at night, don't ask me why!:Frustrati

However, the craving for a cig throughout the day has almost gone - except when someone else lights up nearby. Been trying to studiously avoid all those friends who smoke...

Hmm, congratulations buddy! But why don't you post everyday, saying if you've smoked and how many. I've seen the kind of encouragement the members here give, and it would be good moral support for you. Stick to it man, good luck!

Quote:

Been trying to studiously avoid all those friends who smoke...

Hehe, that totally precludes our ever meeting for anything more than 20 minutes or so! :Shockked:

I have to finish two packs a day!

Quote:

Originally Posted by anupmathur (Post 1193462)
Hehe, that totally precludes our ever meeting for anything more than 20 minutes or so! :Shockked:

I have to finish two packs a day!

Naah, we'll meet soon, Mathur-saab! The urge to light up is going away by the day...

@travelwriter: I've been using a lot of Nicogum 4mg nicotine tablets in the initial few days, as well as a lot of Halls tablets. Don't need the Nicogum so much (perhaps 1 a day), and maybe 4-5 Halls tablets.

@pranavt: Sure I'll try to post daily. Even today, I'm on my only cig of the day as I write; intend to turn in soon as I finish and call it a day... Thank you all for the encouragement and support. I do feel guilty about the one cig daily too, but you all will get to know soon as I give up that last one. Quitting cigs is the toughest thing I've done in ages.

Incidentally, the association of smoking with driving is very strong for me; however, I made a Del-Moradabad-Del trip (390 km) on Tuesday (24/2/09) with only the one cig at the end of the day. I thought that was a big achievement...

Quote:

Congratulations on the success so far, but, as for that last night cigarette, you know it has to stop.

If your body [nicotine] tells you it can't sleep without it, tell it, fine, so stay awake then, see if I care! and get some extra reading done!

I bet you it doesn't make it through more than three sleepless nights maximum.

You've got just the final instalment to pay now: then its home and dry.

Go for it :)

Quote:

I sincerely hope that this 1/day works for you but the probability of 1/day going higher is far more than the probability of quitting altogether. Just go sleepless or sleep less (if tiredness does not take over) for 2-3 nights.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 1193527)
...that last night cigarette, you know it has to stop.

If your body [nicotine] tells you it can't sleep without it, tell it, fine, so stay awake then, see if I care!

Thanks for the encouragement, Thad. Only problem is, my day begins at 6 AM, and I did ask my body to stay awake a few nights. I soon realised that when I am tired in the morning (read had a sleepless night), the craving for nicotine is far, far higher. I constantly think of cigs throughout the day. However, with a good night's sleep, the craving is not so high.

Nicotine talking, SS, trying to keep a foothold...

SS-

Sorry but this has to be called the way it is - the Ace of SPADES!:)

Don't fool yourself. One ciggy, one puff, one sniff, nicotine patch, gum, etc are all MAYA! you are still getting your nicotine fix one way or the other! I have not seen too many people succeed using this method - because the break, if any, is not clean! You are just substituting the medium! You might as well take gutka!

Its good that you've gotten this far - but please put your foot down when it matters! Ask yourself "How can I let ONE miserable ciggy win - dictate my life!?!" Grit your teeth and bear it - Believe me its all in the mind! (sleeplessness etc is just another manifestation of the irritation we face while quitting)

QUIT = COMPLETELY OFF... PERIOD. Anything and everything else is "khud-khushi" :D