Team-BHP - The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/55910-english-movies-thread-no-spoilers-please-500.html)

I completely agree. What's with all the oldies trying to look young and doing one more Goodfellas, without the gore. LOL
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4703335)
Saw half of the Irishman and got so bored that I couldn't take it anymore. What an overrated movie. Was expecting something great after having Pacino and De Niro, but it was disappointing. Best avoided.

Knives Out = 4.5 stars

What a superb whodunnit!!

0.5 stars deducted for Daniel Craig's stupid accent, but otherwise, a movie well made. One death, all suspects in the house and one detective trying to find the culprit. Pretty well made. Please watch it before it disappears from the big screens

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4649500)
:thumbs up. It's on Hotstar. Watched it and will rate it 5 / 5 stars. Superb story, acting & even the music score. I went and downloaded some songs from the movie.

Unavailable on Hotstar now, they may have removed it. Thanks for the recommendation. Plan to buy from You Tube.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy (Post 4707209)
Knives Out = 4.5 stars

Watched Knives Out yesterday. Although the film started off slowly, it turned out to be pretty good overall. Wanted to watch a proper English detective film after a long time, and I wasn't disappointed. Please watch it before it goes away from the cinemas. I'd rate it 4/5.

Quote:

Knives Out = 4.5 stars

Quote:

Originally Posted by boniver (Post 4708275)
I'd rate it 4/5.

Knives Out - Definitely rate it a 4/5. A good old Agatha Christie style whodunit with some decent acting and fast well paced narrative behind it. Daniel Craig is the only one who doesn't fit in but I guess that was on purpose to provide timely comic relief and at the same time take a dig at Hercule Poirot. On the whole, a good watch on the big screen.

Watched FROZEN-II today. 4/5

A bit too many songs for my liking but really a visual delightclap:
Cherry on top was the lovely reactions from the kids all around. They just loved it to bits :D

Quote:

Knives Out = 4.5 stars

Quote:

Originally Posted by boniver (Post 4708275)
I'd rate it 4/5.

Quote:

Originally Posted by procrj (Post 4708567)
Definitely rate it a 4/5.

Knives Out : 4/5
I am a fan of the whodunit style movies and this one did not disappoint. Despite having a star cast of Daniel Craig, Chris Evans and Jamie Lee Curtis, it was Ana De Armas who played the role of Marta who impressed me the most. I was also surprised by Daniel Craig's accent, but got used to it in the first few minutes. Highly recommended.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnredkar (Post 4708703)
I am a fan of the whodunit style movies and this one did not disappoint.

I ma a big fan of classic whodunit films and books. If you like this genre, then you must check out the older classics such as Sleuth, And Then There Were None, Gosford Park, Witness for the Prosecution, Murder on the Orient Express (the old one, not the new one), Death on the Nile and so on. Assuming that you have not seen these, that is. All of them are brilliant and must watch for the whodunit fan!

After the terribly disappointing "Irishman", my mind was craving a good watch. Got it with "The hate you give" on Hotstar. Rating it 4 / 5 stars.

Incredible story about racism (real & perceived, both) and the trials & tribulations of a teenager caught in the crossfire. Must watch on Hotstar. Amandla Stenberg is superb!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MM8OkVT0hw

Watched Rambo: Last blood.

Hopefully they let Rambo be from now on. Was painful to watch.

2/5

Beach Bum:

Avoid at all costs. 1/5

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnredkar (Post 4708703)
I am a fan of the whodunit style movies and this one did not disappoint. Despite having a star cast of Daniel Craig, Chris Evans and Jamie Lee Curtis, it was Ana De Armas who played the role of Marta who impressed me the most. I was also surprised by Daniel Craig's accent, but got used to it in the first few minutes. Highly recommended.

Lovely film this “Knives Out” was. Very Agatha Christie in its devolution. An American “Country House” mystery - really well done.
And yes Ana De Armas, apart from being an extremely pretty girl, does a fantastic job in this film.
Incidentally she also comes as the main heroine in a nice “Car heist” film called “OverDrive” alongside Scott Eastwood (Clint Eastwood’s son) - thats where I first came across her as an actress. And she is an Alumnus of the National Theatre School of Havana, Cuba.

I like the way Daniel Craig managed that “Southern Drawl” all the way, without missing a beat! Don Johnson was a bit of a cameo I thought. Christopher Plummer is an absolute gem! And Jamie Lee Curtis looks more and more like her Dad Tony Curtis.

A good cast. Well played too. Most enjoyable.

Irishman : 2 / 5

Boring. Utter boring movie. I'd rate it at 1/5, the extra star is for the amazing star cast. Although an amazing cast but even the great actors actually look bored; in fact, De Niro and Al Pacino seem utterly disinterested in this movie with their extremely low levels of energy. The only person who seemed worth watching is Joe Pesci, who despite his subdued (energy) character, pulls it off pretty well.

I actually left the movie 3 times in-between and had to force myself to finish watching it. What a colossal failure - I doubt such a brilliant cast will ever do a movie again. I remember reading somewhere that Pesci had to be begged to come and do this movie; he wasn't interested at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4703335)
Saw half of the Irishman and got so bored that I couldn't take it anymore. What an overrated movie.

Best avoided.

+ 100

Ad Astra : 2.5 / 5

It seems nowadays a good star cast is not sufficient enough to have a good movie. Normally having names like Brad Pitt and Tommy Lee Jones would guarantee a decent movie; but this one on space travel and sci-fi storyline barely keeps itself afloat. After having had brilliant movies like Interstellar, Gravity, The Martian and so many more, a movie in this area has a lot of expectations to live up to.

And that is where this movie fails. The opening 10 mins are the best of the movie from a visual display perspective; after that you have some good moments in the last 30 mins; but from a storyline and screenplay perspective, the movie is hardly worth a movie-hall watch. Wait for it to come to the streaming options; that should be good enough for this movie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 4709828)
And yes Ana De Armas, apart from being an extremely pretty girl, does a fantastic job in this film.
Incidentally she also comes as the main heroine in a nice “Car heist” film called “OverDrive” alongside Scott Eastwood (Clint Eastwood’s son) - thats where I first came across her as an actress. And she is an Alumnus of the National Theatre School of Havana, Cuba.

Wow, she's a versatile girl of my dreams, also starring in the forthcoming James Bond movie

6 Underground : 2/5

A solid action-comedy-thriller, but nothing more. Don't get me wrong, it's a typical Michael Bay movie-the usual stuffs like explosions, high speed cars chase, high tech science, lots of gunshots, hot girls in skimpy dresses and bad emotional side stories.

Joker: 10/10

Found a movie after a long time that had me gripped all throughout. Fabulous portrayal of a dark, deep and an intense character by Joaquin Phoenix. Lovely background music.

Can't wait for further installments of the Joker series.:thumbs up