Team-BHP - The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/55910-english-movies-thread-no-spoilers-please-637.html)

Sleeping Dogs - 4/5

Loved this movie. Russell Crowe has done a few good ones lately. Made me have to rewind it back a few times when i got distracted just to put some pieces together. An interesting and unexpected ending that I didn't expect for a second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlm1zyy8whg

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (2022)

Started watching the movie with no expectations other than pure nostalgia of watching another Nicolas Cage action movie.

And have to admit that it was an unexpected surprise! The movie is quite well made, moves at a good pace and the amount of self awareness makes it more enjoyable than you would expect. It might be more fun for those of us who have fond memories of typical Nick Cage fare like Face/Off or The Rock.

Pedro Pascal and his pairing with Cage is the true highlight of the movie, reminds you of our very own Jai-Veeru :)

I found the ending to be a bit tame, but all in all a decent watch given the genre, and keeps you engaged throughout.

3.5/5

13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (2016)

Rating - 7/10

This was one movie where I had watched the first 5 minutes back when it had released in 2016 and ended up watching the remaining over the last weekend. Good one time watch.

Starts slow , settles in gradually very unlike usual Michael bay movies. If the Nicholas Cage starrer "The Rock" seemed a bit slow at start, this was even slower. By the time the real action in the movie starts, we reach halfway. There is no over the top emotional background music when the action happens, just plain raw scenes most of the time which suits a war movie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheeku (Post 5755949)

Rating - 7/10

This was one movie where I had watched the first 5 minutes back when it had released in 2016 and ended up watching the remaining over the last weekend. Good one time watch.

Starts slow , settles in gradually very unlike usual Michael bay movies. If the Nicholas Cage starrer "The Rock" seemed a bit slow at start, this was even slower. By the time the real action in the movie starts, we reach halfway. There is no over the top emotional background music when the action happens, just plain raw scenes most of the time which suits a war movie.

I like that movie a lot. Definitely a slow starter, but once the action starts its relentless. I think its one of the best Michael Bay films. I wasn't expecting much going in and when it finished I was fairly impressed. I would even venture and call it a must watch. I may be partial to Krasinski!

The problem with this movie is if you read reviews from popular critic websites, they have rated it fairly mediocre. While the general public has pretty good opinion about it. If someone reads critic reviews before watching there's a high chance they will lose interest when in reality its not a bad movie at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amol4184 (Post 5756278)
The problem with this movie is if you read reviews from popular critic websites, they have rated it fairly mediocre. While the general public has pretty good opinion about it. If someone reads critic reviews before watching there's a high chance they will lose interest when in reality its not a bad movie at all.

Oh I didn't realize it had been panned by the critics. I agree, it's a pretty gripping movie and I was impressed by how Krasinski made the transition from "the office guy" to a military role. I guess this was the role that got him the 'Jack Ryan' role later.

Apart from the very obvious "one American life is worth more than dozens of local lives" issue that all Hollywood war movie suffer from, it's a very watchable movie. I've gone back and watched it multiple times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amol4184 (Post 5756278)
I like that movie a lot. Definitely a slow starter, but once the action starts its relentless. I think its one of the best Michael Bay films. I wasn't expecting much going in and when it finished I was fairly impressed. I would even venture and call it a must watch. I may be partial to Krasinski!

Absolutely spot on! I am a Krasinski fan myself and after a recent watch fest of the Jack Ryan series' first season for maybe the 5th time, I wanted to watch him in a different role and this movie didn't disappoint. This role had more emotions than he ever had to portray in the Tom clancy series.

Quote:

Originally Posted by am1m (Post 5756298)
Oh I didn't realize it had been panned by the critics. I agree, it's a pretty gripping movie and I was impressed by how Krasinski made the transition from "the office guy" to a military role.

Apart from the very obvious "one American life is worth more than dozens of local lives" issue that all Hollywood war movie suffer from, it's a very watchable movie. I've gone back and watched it multiple times.

Yes, unfortunately it received mixed reviews and was a pretty low grosser mostly due to prime video launch and lack of theatres because of the dual platform release.

The irony in the movie is that even the Americans didn't care about the ones at their base which was surprising. A peculiar thing noticed were multiple scenes that very aptly described a restraint in engagement with locals who weren't armed, maybe because of the blackwater fiasco that was doing the news around the time.

If I had to rewatch any of the post millenium Michael Bay movies, this and Transformers (1st part) would surely be on my list.

I watched some movies recently:

Howl (Horror/Action) - This movie is about a train that hits a deer and breaks down in the midst of a dense jungle and the few passengers are attacked by some strange creature. I didn't find it boring, so I would rate it 3/5. Available on Amazon Prime.

Operation Fortune - Ruse de Guerre (Spy/Action) - This movie resembles Mission Impossible series but with Jason Statham instead of Tom Cruise. I think many scenes have been copied from MI but the movie is entertaining. I would rate it 3.5/5. I watched this on an app called OTTPlay by Hindustan Times. This app lets you watch watch content present on different apps in a single subscription.

The Marksman (Action /Thriller) - This Liam Neeson movie has a simple, solid storyline about a kid and his mother trying to escape Mexican drug cartel by crossing border. It kept me engaged throughout and I would rate it 4/5. Available on Amazon Prime.

Got to watch Dune: Part 2 finally
My Rating : 9.5/10
One of the few good scifi fantasy movies in the recent past, this is honestly the only competitor to Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings series in my opinion.
The first part was rather underwhelming, looks like Villenueve saved the meat of the story for this part. The first part didn’t have half of the first Dune book, if I recall correctly.
Extremely good CGI, good score, great plot and excellent cast. This is hollywood hall of fame material.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheeku (Post 5755949)

Rating - 7/10

I too saw it a couple of months ago and agree with the rating. Honestly, I didn't find the movie slow. It was just setting the stage for the action that begins later on.

Any movie with John Krasanski is usually watchable as he has become a pretty bankable star.

My rating : 8/10

Anyone But You (Netflix)

A typical rom-com but still watchable to pass a chill evening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghIJkjelLpw

3.5/5

Just watched Argylle. Terrible. Rating - 1/5 on the generous side.

It's supposed to be mindless fun but in the end it's not even that. It's laughable, not funny.

Also don't know why but I thought the cat's name is Argylle but it's not. The cast is incredible and there's Dua Lipa on top in a cameo making everything just bizarre. I'm still thinking why did they all sign up for such movie.

Amazon prime is showing a lot of Oscar / Academy award winning / nominee movies, so i decided to catch up. The best ones were:

1. Judgement at Nuremberg - its about WW II criminals being tried for atrocities and is in B&W. Superbly directed.

2. No country for old men. This is a Western, with a money heist thrown in. Joaquim Phoenix stands out. I liked this one more than Joker.

3. Thelma and Louise. An entertaining cops v/s criminals. Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis, stand out. Brad Pitt has a small role.

And finally the trailer is out. Deadpool & Wolverine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73_1biulkYk

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomi (Post 5758084)

2. No country for old men. This is a Western, with a money heist thrown in. Joaquim Phoenix stands out. I liked this one more than Joker.

It's a legend of a movie. A modern day classic but there's no Joaquin Phoenix in it.

Perhaps you are confusing him with Javier Bardem though they look nothing alike.

The coin toss sequence at the gas station sends chills down the spine no matter how many times I watch it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by century (Post 5750837)
I want a series out of this; it's that brilliant!

I loved it as well! It was devoid of the usual stereotypes and was shot brilliantly, acted brilliantly and edited brilliantly. I have always found Jeffrey Wright to be a good actor, and he truly shines out in this movie.

By the way, did you notice the poster? He is in a formal attire, yet the yellow drawing is all gangsta style, complete with the headband, rings, chain etc. And did you see the lettering on his knuckles - THUG LIE :cool: