Team-BHP - The Hindi Movies Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The Hindi Movies Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/55911-hindi-movies-thread-305.html)

Lapata Ladies: 5/5

Delightful movie. Such wonderfully crafted with simple storyline and humour. Most of the main unknown actors have acted so well. Taking us to the roots of India which still exists but transforming.

Go and watch with your family. You will not be disappointed.

BTW its Aamir khan productions directed by Kiran Rao( ex wife of Aamir)

Watched the Saturday late-night show of Shaitaan at the Maison PVR, Jio World Drive BKC; which has become the family's new favourite multiplex. The theatre was packed, which was surprising considering the movie was not promoted as much. We were frankly appalled that some families had brought their kids along for this movie, considering the horror/supernatural/thriller content.

The first-half of the movie is taut and does make you hold your breath.

R. Madhavan in a never-seen-before menacing role makes one squirm in his seat; nothing over-the-top or melodramatic. Trust Madhavan to essay roles with subtlety and poise.

Ajay Devgn and Jyotika play their role well as shocked parents; but it's the daughter (Janki Bodiwala) who does a good job in her Bollywood debut.

The second-half is stretched and ultimately descends into rubbish. There is no specific reason attributed to Madhavan's character doing what he does and what the ultimate end goal is supposed to be.

The last good horror-thriller movies of Bollywood came from the Ram Gopal Varma stable, maybe Bhoot and Darna Mana Hai. The current lot just fails to live up to expectations.

Rating: 3/5

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 5730601)
Reason = your car's stereo system plays the sound off FM channel 88.5.

Won't the car battery die by keeping audio ON for such a long duration of the movie. Else , you end up burning car fuel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanwaramit (Post 5735971)
Won't the car battery die by keeping audio ON for such a long duration of the movie. Else , you end up burning car fuel.

There is a drive-in theatre here in Australia which shows two movies back-to-back. You listen to the movie the same way, ie tune into a pre-defined FM station and listen. Needless to say, after 2 movies, most cars end up with a flat battery, and to counter this the theatre folks walk around with a portable battery to help jump-start such cars. With the amplifier and 12 speaker setup in my car, I ended up with the same fate once and had to ask for help to get the car started. :D

Murder Mubarak

Streaming: Netflix

I had expected a lot from this movie after I had recently completed a Malayalam thriller of the Who dunit genre and there was such stark difference between the two. In this movie the focus is more on the glamorous star cast with little focus on the content. The movie does not seem to carry the audience through out the mystery as there are pockets of un neccessary scenes included. The end is predictable in the first 20 mins into the movie but the treatment to reveal in the climax could have been far better. Seasoned actors like Dimple Kapadia, Karishma Kapoor, Deven Bhojnani seem wasted and so are the actors like Sara Ali khan and Vijay Verma. Pankaj Tripathi in the role of the investigating cop seems to have faltered in the acting space in the movie. One time watch maybe if nothing else to do.

Rating: 2.5/5

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 5738244)
One time watch maybe if nothing else to do.

Rating: 2.5/5

Agree with your review rating although the movie does have its moments. The pace of the movie is quite a drag initially and hardly picks up. The class divide is shown and that itself is the whole crux of the story. Seasoned actors, as you rightly said are wasted and they are in only because it’s a Homi Adajania movie. But one thing I did take from the movie is that Sara Ali Khan has still a long way to go in terms of acting, despite being in the industry of quite some time now. She was literally a fish out of water in front of Vijay Verma or even Brijendar Kala- both of whom are excellent actors. Watchable content only if there is nothing else to watch. I didn’t last night !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 5738244)
Murder Mubarak

I had expected a lot from this movie after I had recently completed a Malayalam thriller of the Who dunit genre and there was such stark difference between the two. In this movie the focus is more on the glamorous star cast with little focus on the content.

I was waiting for this to land on Netflix after watching a trailer. We started this and watched for an excruciating 30 minutes and gave up on watching it. As you rightly said, the focus is only on the stars who were hamming through the movie.

Terrible acting even by stalwarts, terrible storyline and terrible sets.

I would rate this 1/5.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 (Post 5738279)
Watchable content only if there is nothing else to watch. I didn’t last night !!

Disagree. I personally never waste time on ridiculous content. I can give maximum 30 mins and if I don't like it, I move on.

There is decent content out there and I never find time to complete it as we are badgered with new content so often and I do get distracted with the new content. I have a decent backlog and I switch to it like I did yesterday (Review on English Movie thread).

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanwaramit (Post 5735971)

Whichever car I take, I fire her engine up every hour. The Drive-In is usually just 50% full, so enough space to take a spin around the block and park back. Because the head-unit itself shuts off automatically after an hour in many cars, it's a good reminder.

The last time I took the 530d, we needed the heater so the engine was running for a little time. The second last time, it was hot and we needed the AC for a bit, so the engine was again running for a while.

Yoddha 3/5

This movie plot has much potential which is wasted in typical Bollywood kind of direction. Fight sequences and VFX are good. It maintains suspense and gives some nail biting moments. But that's about it.
As expected it's all Siddharth Malhotra movie. Disha is a surprise package and has pulled off stunts, fighting sequences really well. That too in a saree! :thumbs up

Even if you ignore some cheesy dialogues, hard to ignore superhuman stunts and I only will do it all and walk out scratch free kind of roleplay.

Rest I am not sure if Boeing can do 360 tilt and shoo away fighter jets rl:

Murder Mubarak on Netflix is 1/5 or less.

Agree with previous reviews. This is a horrendous, super cliched, cheesy movie with all the tired B-town tropes that does not deserve anyone's time. If you want to waste time throw rocks at a wall.

I love Pankaj Tripathi for his acting and yet in this movie he has acted terribly. The less said about others the better. I am pretty sure the cast came out shaking their heads after the premier. Honestly, it is mind bogglingly bad. Run far away from this dumpster fire.

Murder Mubarak

The Hindi Movies Thread-1.jpg

Ever since I watched the trailer, I had been waiting for it since I am fond of Pankaj's and Vijay Varma's movies. And I watch selected Hindi movies only and boy did I pick one hell of a movie.

It started off well with nice music to complement the situation but that's when the overacting starts. The aunties were irritating, Sara Ali and Karisma were fighting for the top spot. Each and every character was overacting to the max.
The slow screenplay which was super dragging adds the final nail o the coffin.

Rating - 2/5 (1 each for Pankaj and Vijay who were the only better ones in the movie even though they were overacting as well)
Source - Netflix
Verdict - AVOID

Fighter - 2.5/5

Watched fighter today in Netflix. Must say I was impressed with the aerial combat scenes and overall CGI work. But was not fully satisfied with the movie. Felt like a wasted opportunity considering the budget and star cast it had.

Main positives are :
The CGI work, aerial scenes involving the fighter jets (if you can forget that physics exists), Hrithik Roshan's presence etc.

Coming to negatives :
Copying Topgun & Topgun maverick, unnecessary side stories, unnecessary songs, forced patriotism, drag at the first 30-40 mins of second half, overall lack of depth in story etc.

One time watch.

Guthlee Ladoo Amazon Prime

Every once in a while you come across a movie which kind of wakes you up from your slumber. Guthlee Ladoo is one such hidden gem which forces you to think. The movie is the story of a child who wishes to study in a school despite the societal oppression which is denying him this basic right to education because of his caste and how an upper cast headmaster becomes a willing help in his pursuit despite being powerless.

Sanjay Mishra as the headmaster, Subrat Dutta and Kalyanee Mulay as parents of the boy gave nuanced performances. The movie is an uplifting tale of a boy who never stops dreaming. The narrative is real and shows the oppression which is still prevalent and yet, the movie is as inspiring as it can get. Must watch and highly recommended.

Rating- 4.5/5

Watched 2 movies over last weekend

Fighter

Except for the over the top CG and VFX, there is nothing in the movie if one keeps the patriotism aside for a while. By no angle the cast looked like fighter pilots. They mashed the Top Gun and few more movies into a forgettable Hindi movie plot. Acting wise only Anil Kapoor was decent, rest all just hammed.

Rating: 2/5

Farrey

Streaming: Zee

Another movie shamelessly copied from the Hollywood counterparts (Bad Genius) even the posters are strikingly similar, it comes during the major exam season in the country. Alizeh Agnihorti stands out in the movie for her acting, if given some meaty roles she could go great lengths in the industry. Rest of the supporting cast like Ronit Roy, Juhi Babbar, Shilpa Shukla etc did their part well. One time watch for sure.

Rating: 3.5/5

Maidan 3.5/5

All marks for the original heroes. The untold story.
Since this was story about a coach and his struggle , Ajay Devgan felt misfit for this role. It was more of an acting than story telling.

Certainly good watch. It’s Tribute to a coach and the team for their commitment.