Team-BHP - The Hindi Movies Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The Hindi Movies Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/55911-hindi-movies-thread-43.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by khoj (Post 1710029)
Caught RANN yesterday. After a long time here is a movie that grabs you by your throat and shakes you up. No song and dance routine upfront no good lloking babes result = half the hall was empty. It is not a must watch but not as bad as it is being made out to be.

I liked it. its a well made movie. I liked the acting performance of all the cast. esp sudeep and AB. Gul panag is cute as usual.

Same here.Tera Kya hoga Johnny Is Junk.So many good artists wasted.No storyline, absolute nothing.Rat Gayi Baat Gayi was also Junk.Don't know what the director was trying to say.What a waste from this Team who coped Bheja Fry screen By screen but made it watchable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14000rpm (Post 1719619)
I liked it. its a well made movie. I liked the acting performance of all the cast. esp sudeep and AB. Gul panag is cute as usual.

i went out last night to catch Rann and boy what a movie. Yes the end was a bit stretched but overall I would give it 3.5/5. I now don't know what made Anupama Chopra of NDTV give it 2/5.

OT: AB's character is totally modlled on Prannoy Roy and Mohnish Behl's on Rajdeep Sardesai. I guess thats why Rann received a heavy promotion on NDTV and almost no mention on CNN-IBN. Any idea how Rajdeep Sardesai took it :D

Ishqiya

A super duper performance from Vidya Balan ably supported by Naseeruddin Shah and Arshad Warsi make this a must watch. The plot is ok with a Quentin T type ending (:D) - the movie though drags a bit in the middle.

The support performances are super too - watch out for the boy whose first dialogue is too raunchy for his age - just watching him deliver that was a treat.

Great soundtrack too - "Dil toh bacha hai ji" and "Ibn ka Buta" rock big time.

Verdict - 3.5/5.
Vidya Balan overshadows all here.

My Name is Khan:
Watched the preview show today. Its a very unusual Johar movie. The love story is nicely woven into the primary plot, which is about a man suffering from Aspergers syndrome in search for identity.
The movie is a mix up Fanaa and Kurbaan, but maintains its own identity as well. The length could've been shorter by 20mins easily. The 2nd half does test your patience most definately. Cinematography is top notch. US has never looked better in any other movies. Climax is a little controversial, and bound to spring up debates. But one opinion will be uniform, that how we wish everyone had Aspergers. Would've made life simpler. Warning: Ask your wife/gf/mother etc to carry tissues.

Performances:
SRK is mindblowing as Rizwan Khan. His best performance till date undoubtebly. He's sure to win a couple of accolades for his act. Kajol is as usual, a carry forward from Fanaa, albeit a little more subtle and cute. Jimmy Shergill performs well in that miniscule role.

Music:
Amazing. All the tracks are worth a mentions. But the ones that stand out are Sajda, Noor-e-khuda and Tere Naina, especially due to thier picturisation.

Overall:
Its nothing that you haven't seen before. Fanaa, Newyork, Kurbaan ets. Are'nt we tired of the 9/11 subjects already?? But do watch it for SRKs splendid performace. Frankly, had it not been for SRK, Kajol and KJ on the helm, this movie would've been a big big letdown. Its a movie made for the international markets, more than India. Its just the hype which will pull it though in india.
Rating: 3/5.

Striker: Its a movie with carrrom as the main core of this movie but then delves into other subjects like riots, love, deciet, friendship, cops( Bad and Good).

This move has a cast with only few known names. Anupam Kher, Siddart(RDB fame), Vidya Malvade(Chak de fame), Aditya Pancholi(Kangana Ranavat fame) with couple of good performances given by the actors whose names i dont know.

The best of them are Sids friend, Sids brother and then Sids wife. The movie delves into the life of a boy who wants to earn money in a fast way and thus doesnt go in for the normal lifestyle. Performance by sid is good as he gets ample support from the rest of the cast. If you miss the start of the movie you will not understand it. The ending is kinda forseeable so dont expect much towards the end.

Watch this movie as it is pretty good but not unique.
3/5 with the extra 0.5 for the performance by Sids friend. Has done a brilliant role of a friend who doesnt have any future and just whiles his time doing oddman jobs and enjoys sids company even though he is always cursed or scolded. Gives value to friends!

ishqiya: excellent performance by Vidya balan, Shah and Arshad Warsi. All through out the film it was gripping and interesting. The climax was a dampener of sorts. Somehow i was expecting a better climax, felt too commercial for taste.
excellent music. can't help listening to Dil to bacha hai ji and ibn e batuta.
3.5/5.

rann: a definite watch atleast once. powerhouse of performance from AB. Ably supported by Ritesh, Monish Behl, Rajat Kapur, Gul Panag. Instantly reminds you of Sarkar, the way it is shot and some twist and turns that happen. A bit slow at times.
3/5

Next watch: Striker and MNIK

Striker

Went to watch this after hearing rave reviews from all. Came back from the movie with mixed feelings. It's neither brilliant nor is it bad - it is inbetween.

Siddarth plays a guy living in a ghetto of Mumbai who wants to get rich quickly but he is not without morals too. The movie deals with a lot of things - Hindu Muslim rivalry, friendship, carrom betting etc and that's where it looses focus.

The acting is good as is the direction but the real star for me is the cinematographer. I loved the way the movie has been shot - the frames, the tight carrom shots - superb.

Verdict - 2/5. Neither here nor there. I would not mind if I saw it nor would I mind if I had to miss it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by X-Machine (Post 1720702)
My Name is Khan:

Rating: 3/5.

Wow, I expected better. But I guess we're going anyway.

Tum Mile

Whatever was the inspiration behind this movie, be it Titanic, 2012, etc, its a rather half-baked effort. I usually find movies from the Bhatt camp to be worth one watch atleast, but Tum Mile was damp squib.

The story deals with a rather predictable love story against the backdrop of the Mumbai floods. The action sequences are quite unrealistic, and the attempts at trying to evoke sympathy fall flat as well.

The only saving grace is the music, which has some hummable numbers. I even have them on my pendrive to listen to in the car.

Waste of time.

Bennyboy Rating
: * 1/2

Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 1730234)
Tum Mile

Whatever was the inspiration behind this movie, be it Titanic, 2012, etc, its a rather half-baked effort. I usually find movies from the Bhatt camp to be worth one watch atleast, but Tum Mile was damp squib.

The story deals with a rather predictable love story against the backdrop of the Mumbai floods. The action sequences are quite unrealistic, and the attempts at trying to evoke sympathy fall flat as well.

The only saving grace is the music, which has some hummable numbers. I even have them on my pendrive to listen to in the car.

Waste of time.

Bennyboy Rating
: * 1/2

Even I saw last week on DVD and absolutely agree with you. Emraan Hashmi's acting is pathetic to say the least. I was like :Frustrati while watching it.

Damn you Benny - was planning to watch Tum Mile tonight. :(

btw - TOI gives MNIK 5/5 :O

My Name is Khan -

Watched this on V Day with wifey and friends :)

Controversial Movie because of all the Sena Drama so I had mixed feelings about this movie and also the promos these last 2 months were boring me a bit.

On top of that TOI gives it 5 stars. So had to see it.

The movie starts with SRK narrating a bit about himself and his childhood as an autistic child.

He starts out on a journey to meet the President of the USA to tell him - His name is Khan and he is not a terrorist.

Simple story with things you have seen before.BUT this movie actually delivers the message that how Muslims had their problems after 9/11.

The movie is good and watchable with some scenes which are a bit too unrealistic and dramawise - but you'd expect a bit of that in a Karan Johar movie :D

BUT the real thrill is SRK. He is at his best and I would not think twice before saying this - it's probably going to be get him all awards - here and outside as well. His acting is brilliant.

Remember - Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man ? Well he quite matches his acting. He is that good !

I can easily say that SRK is the best actor in the country and amongst the best in the world after this perfromance.

Watch it for SRK and some heart warming scenes. There a few scenes where the chemistry between SRK and Kajol is amazing.

I would give it 5 / 5 for SRK's acting only. The movie is a 3.5 for me.

Watch it - you will not be dissapointed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by normally_crazy (Post 1730656)
Damn you Benny - was planning to watch Tum Mile tonight. :(

btw - TOI gives MNIK 5/5 :O

Best example for a paid review:D.

I don't know about rest of them, I hated sitting through the movie. Lot of it was overly dramatic and did not make any sense. Why in the world would the director think that US govt would leave people out to fend by themselves in a storm. South-asians are probably the last people to help any community anywhere (yes, even in India not many come out to help their fellow citizens in times of calamity). I agree that US govt did increase security and were probably biased at airport security checkpoints when they saw people of south-asian origin and particularly Muslims, but I have not seen or heard racial attacks to the scale as shown in the movie. I don't understand how TOI rated it 5 stars, SRK's acting was OK (at times over-done). Kajol acted well. The story-line was pathetic.

I have learnt to take reviews on TOI with a grain of salt.