Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2009, 17:14   #1
BHPian

Horrifying experience EDIT : April fool joke

This happened last night while I was driving back from office. It was 31st March and we had to work pretty late. I left office at around 2.30 am. My colleagues advised that I should stay back in the office as it was not advisable to drive around Noida or the highway at this time of the night. (I work in Noida and live in Dwarka, Delhi which is the other extreme corner).

But I can't sleep in any place other than the cosy comforts of my bed. So I decided to leave and go home.

The moment I started the car, it wouldn't start and this happened for about 5 minutes. I have an Alto LXI and I was getting frustrated. There was no help around (my colleagues couldn't help) and I even thought of turning to Team BHP to see if any enthusiasts were on line. But then all of a sudden, the car responded and I was on my way. I decided to take the flyway (DND toll road). I had to pass through some deserted lanes in Noida and the long stretch from sector 62 to the toll road. I missed a turn and ended up at sector 37 (which, incidentally, is very much out of the way).

I couldn't find anyone for directions and tried calling some colleagues but my phone battery went dead. I saw a couple of vehicles up ahead which looked like call centre cabs and approached them for directions.

In the cab, I saw 3 men and 2 women. I first thought they were drivers with passengers from late night call centre shifts. As I started asking for directions, one of them tried to give me the directions but I noticed that the other two men and the women had alighted from the vehicles. The guy telling me directions was explaining very slowly...thinking more and talking less. I noticed that the other 4 people came around my car. One woman was right next to my side of the door while the others were on the other side, near my passenger seat door.

Then, all of a sudden, the woman asked me for a lift and said that she knew the way and she could guide me if I could drop her enroute. I felt suspicious because a moment ago, the two women were talking and laughing with the 3 men.

I politely said no and put my car in first gear and thanked the man for whatever help(?) he extended). At that time, the people on the passenger side tried to open the door. Thankfully, it was locked and they could not. I could not speed away as another woman was standing right in front and blocking my way. I could not think for a moment, I could not roll up the window on my side and I froze. Just couldn't react.

The men came up to my window and looked menacingly at me and said "Madam ko lift chahiye aur samaan bhi bahut hai. Inhe le jaao." I was thinking of what to say when the man pulled out a country made revolver and brought it so close to my face that I could smell the metal. He said, " Aise hi chhote mote auzaar hain, bhai saheb. Madam ko le jao aur araam se chalao."

I found myself nodding in affirmation. The other woman then walked around to the read door and tried to open it. "Yeh band hai andar se." The man looked at me and said "Kholiye bhai sahab."

I fumbled with the knob when I saw a police vehicle at some distance in the rear view mirror. That is when I got some guts and switched on my blinkers. The man quickly hid the revolver.

That was my chance. I floored the pedal and let go of the clutch. But I am a new driver and did not time the clutch release properly. The car lurched ahead and then stopped. The 3 men rushed towards my car. I tried starting the car hoping it wouldn't play any pranks, one eye on the men and the other on the rear view mirror hoping the police car would come soon.

The car started and the men tried to force the door open. The women tried to run to the front of my car. But I put it in gear and floored again. This time, the car did not stall and I sped away. I was scared that they maight fire on me or something. I couldn;t see anything in the rear view mirror. Actually, I was too scared to look.

After about a 4 minutes of driving, I found mself close to the metro line (under construction.). I stopped for a few seconds to gather my thoughts. I knew the way from here. I took the most crowded route (Sarita Vihar route) and started following trucks closely.

I was so shaken that I could not even think straight. I reached home driving slowly at around 50 and looking all around all the time. I reached home and had a couple of pegs. My wife couldn't understand what happened and preferred to keep quiet.

I just thanked God and went to catch some sleep.

I wish to forget the whole thing as if it were a bad dream. I do not have the guts to take this matter to the law lest I start getting pestered by them.

I hope you all agree that I did the right thing in the circumstances
Old 1st April 2009, 17:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Damn thats a scary experience.

Thank god you are safe
Old 1st April 2009, 17:20   #3
BHPian

That's really scrary ... Thank god, you came out of it wiht no harm.
Old 1st April 2009, 17:21   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Jesus. Sounds awful. Thank goodness you are safe and all is well.
Old 1st April 2009, 17:23   #5
BANNED

WHOA... shudder to think what might have happened.
Old 1st April 2009, 17:27   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh Boy! That was one hell of an adventure. I think you took a big risk by starting the car and trying to speed away as this is the very chance these madcaps look for making good use of their weapons.

Anyways the incidence is over, learn from it and dont travel so late in night again.

I always felt Delhi was quite un-safe. Thank god, i dont live there anymore
Old 1st April 2009, 17:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

I guess you got into the trap set for lorry drivers. Down south, there are many cases where the lorry drivers getting invited by seductive pros & the waiting gang loot the goods carried by lorries. Instances are there where the drivers got killed by such gangs. These gangs may tie up with the police patrol team too & even a siren at vision will not be of much help

And generally these gangs operate with toy guns , but we cannot take chances there

--------------------
You have to file a complaint with police officials, so that such activity gets to their notice & they may put patrols on that route. Even if those criminals fits like glove in hand with police officials, you will not be harassed by cops for the intended complaint, but no further progress in the case. Iam not sure whether there is an option of just passing this information to higher officials at Police department and they file a self complaint and act on it.

By any chance, have you noticed the number of the car. Else you could write or mail it to media, where they will publish and invite the attention of cops

Last edited by Surprise : 1st April 2009 at 17:47.
Old 1st April 2009, 17:39   #8
BHPian

hey travelwriter pardon my ignorance ,from your write up it does not seem folks were there to rob you ,were they?

i am just wondering why would someone point a gun at you to ask you to give the ladies a lift ?

did they ask you for any money etc.( watching too much of sansani and india tv offlate ,so all the stupid questions)
Old 1st April 2009, 17:40   #9
BHPian

Damn, that is scary! Thank God you are fine. My heart rate went up just reading what you wrote!
Old 1st April 2009, 17:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hair raising experience,
good, you are safe.
Delhi is unsafe place at nights.
Old 1st April 2009, 17:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Damn thats indeed very Scary. Good to know that you came unhurt out of this.
Old 1st April 2009, 17:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
hey travelwriter pardon my ignorance ,from your write up it does not seem folks were there to rob you ,were they?

i am just wondering why would someone point a gun at you to ask you to give the ladies a lift ?
Rightly said Rajesh,
Or is this an APRIL FOOL PRANK ?? ;-)

Last edited by sushrutha : 1st April 2009 at 17:45.
Old 1st April 2009, 17:49   #13
BHPian

[quote=sushrutha;1241171]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
hey travelwriter ....Or is this an APRIL FOOL PRANK ?? ;-)
This is what happens when you pour out your woes to heartless people. You have no sympathies for me after all that I have been through. Look how the others have reacted. That is what I was looking for.

Anyways, my prank is caught. And I now remember the old song...
"April fool banaya, to unko gussa aya
Hamara kya kasoor, zamaane ka kassor
Jisne dastoor banaya"

All others, please forgive me for this prank.

Moderators, please don't ban me

PS: I liked one comment which appreciated my writing. Thanks, buddy!
Old 1st April 2009, 17:49   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rightly said Rajesh,
Or is this an APRIL FOOL PRANK ?? ;-)
I too got caught in this prank!

Editing my post!

Even Sam & Technocrat fell in the trap!

Last edited by pulsar56 : 1st April 2009 at 17:52.
Old 1st April 2009, 17:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Edit: Just saw the other posts. Can't understand someone taking so much pains to concoct a story and put it in so many words to play a prank. whew !!

Last edited by esteem_lover : 1st April 2009 at 17:57.

Most Viewed