Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2019, 21:31   #46
BHPian

Re: Beat the heat - suggestions required

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. Do you remember what is the specific product you used?
I had first used Ozoprotect TC. At the time, there were very few choices.
I asked around in local HW shops but they didnt have anything.
Ozoprotect TC was quite expensive too (~7000 INR for 20kg bucket and I used 2 buckets).

Now we have much more choices.
Whichever one you pick, just make sure you make a thick coating and it should be good.

Take the durability claims of any manufacturer with a pinch of salt.
There will always be dust settling onto the surface, which will reduce reflective efficiency.
UV exposure will cause the paint to fade over time.
7+ years seems too good to be true.

Last edited by perty : 23rd March 2019 at 21:35.
Old 24th March 2019, 07:58   #47
Senior - BHPian

A friend who got coating done by xlcoatings 3 years ago claims that it has lost it's sheen. His home is on the topmost floor and was unbearable during the summers He had claimed a very good drop in the first year and when I met him last week and asked about the coating, he sounded disappointed. As mentioned by perty above, the tall claims by the manufacturer should be ignored to certain extent.
Old 24th March 2019, 10:14   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by perty View Post
I had first used Ozoprotect TC. At the time, there were very few choices.
I asked around in local HW shops but they didnt have anything.
Ozoprotect TC was quite expensive too (~7000 INR for 20kg bucket and I used 2 buckets).
Hello perty,
Could you let us know after how many years did you do second coating?
Old 25th March 2019, 01:42   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hello perty,
Could you let us know after how many years did you do second coating?
3 years.
First coating with ozoprotect TC was in the hottest summer we had in living memory, which was 2016.
Next coating was this year.
To be fair, in places where water run off or foot traffic was causing erosion of the reflective paint, I did a 'top up' paint last year.
Also, I was worried that the temperature difference between the floor of the terrace and parapet walls might cause cracks, so I painted the parapet walls also last year.

Still, I feel this is a better alternative to AC.
In our area atleast, we rarely get decent power supply in summers.
Cutting out the root cause of indoor heat is better than allowing it to get heated and then investing in a separate option for cooling.

Last edited by perty : 25th March 2019 at 01:52.
Old 25th March 2019, 10:18   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3 years.
First coating with ozoprotect TC was in the hottest summer we had in living memory, which was 2016.
That sounds like a very good value for money in terms of 3 years once if we need to replenish the coating.

I am still sitting on the fence trying to decide which product to go for. I checked Monarch OzoProtect TC on Amazon.in and the online pricing seems higher than the products that I had called out (URL)

Also OzoProtect TC has a SRI value of 106 which is lower than Allied Koolmax at 120 and Excel CoolCoat at 122. Not sure how much difference these theoretical SRI values make in the end result.

As of now, leaning towards Allied Koolmax as it seems to be value for money among the options called out so far. They are Peenya, Bangalore based company and thinking to see if I can get a local dealer who can sell at a lower price than online...
Old 25th March 2019, 10:45   #51
Senior - BHPian

I face similar issues and was happy to see this thread this morn. With what i read here, and the small research i could do, i am inclined towards Allied KoolMax too. It retails at Rs. 6800 at Amazon for the 20 KG can.

As for a DIY on this product, my question is this : Is it as simple as Opening the can and just doing the coating on the roof or does it have some process around some mixing etc.. I am tempted to do this myself and would appreciate help. Do we need any special type of Brush or Roller ? Thanks.
Old 25th March 2019, 12:47   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3 years.
To be fair, in places where water run off or foot traffic was causing erosion of the reflective paint, I did a 'top up' paint last year.
I stay on the top floor of a 3 floor, 10 house apartment. The terrace is a common area but hardly used. I was thinking of using the 10kg bucket of this product over one bedroom and living room. The terrace has a roof tile flooring as in the picture below.

Will doing this make sense on such surface and over just two rooms?
Attached Thumbnails
Beat the heat - suggestions required-574d91c5ce59401c8bd098e3c5dd1e63.jpg  

Old 25th March 2019, 13:40   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I face similar issues and was happy to see this thread this morn. With what i read here, and the small research i could do, i am inclined towards Allied KoolMax too. It retails at Rs. 6800 at Amazon for the 20 KG can.

As for a DIY on this product, my question is this : Is it as simple as Opening the can and just doing the coating on the roof or does it have some process around some mixing etc.. I am tempted to do this myself and would appreciate help. Do we need any special type of Brush or Roller ? Thanks.
I spoke to the contact person of Allied Koolmax, he is offering the 20 kg bucket for Rs.6000/- if we pick it up from Peenya itself. He said we need to make the payment a day in advance so that they can keep it ready and one can pick it up on our own at 6K. He even sent me the bank account details already over WhatsApp and said he will send the Invoice once I confirm. He also clarified that they do not have any dealers nearer to City and Amazon.in would be the only other option.

Here is the full address:

ALLIED METALLURGICAL PRODUCTS PRIVATE LIMITED
Plot 201/3, 12th Main, 3rd Phase
Peenya Industrial Area
Bengaluru, Karnataka INDIA 560058
India

DIY Instructions:
Quote:
Remove the bucket lid
Mix water ( normal tap water ) about 20% of the weight of paint. For example for 20 kgs bucket mix about 4 kg of water
Mix the water thoroughly till the product attains a paintable consistency
Clean the surface to be painted to completely remove dust/debris, oil, moss,Use water if necessary to clean thoroughly.Repair large cracks with suitable putty.
Use brush or roller to paint the first coat.
Wait for about 2 hours (will depend upon the ambient temperature) till dry
Apply the second coat ensuring that the surface is completely white and no original roof surface is visible
Wait till the surface is completely dry.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 25th March 2019 at 14:06.
Old 25th March 2019, 14:51   #54
BHPian

I have heard a mixture of "chuna" in water and fevicol is the most cost effective way of painting your terrace floor to keep off the heat. All the fancy paints will eventually fade away. Cost to effectiveness is best achieved by the above method. Will try it this summer myself.
Old 26th March 2019, 00:25   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Will doing this make sense on such surface and over just two rooms?
The cooling effect will be there if this is done.
But my concern about doing this kind of thing is that there is a drastic temperature difference between the painted and unpainted sections of the tiles and the concrete below it, which might stress the concrete and cause cracks

Quote:
I spoke to the contact person of Allied Koolmax, he is offering the 20 kg bucket for Rs.6000/-
Just to add to the DIY instructions here, we need to ensure that the second coat is done in a direction perpendicular to the first, so that paint gaps or lines are better closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
I have heard a mixture of "chuna" in water and fevicol is the most cost effective way of painting your terrace floor to keep off the heat. .
This is indeed a dirt cheap option. There are several DIY videos you can get for this.
Note however that the chuna will release fumes and it's difficult to get this applied without proper protection. The fuming might persist even after the application is done.
Also, this mixture will have reduced longevity if the terrace is subjected to foot traffic
Old 26th March 2019, 12:25   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
I have heard a mixture of "chuna" in water and fevicol is the most cost effective way of painting your terrace floor to keep off the heat. All the fancy paints will eventually fade away. Cost to effectiveness is best achieved by the above method. Will try it this summer myself.
I am planning to use Surya Cool for some portion of the Roof to validate the effectiveness of low cost alternatives. Surya Cool costs about Rs.250 for 5kg.
Surya Cool: URL

Quote:
Just to add to the DIY instructions here, we need to ensure that the second coat is done in a direction perpendicular to the first, so that paint gaps or lines are better closed.
Thanks - that is a valuable tip.
Old 2nd April 2019, 10:54   #57
Senior - BHPian

Here is the update from my side. I purchased Allied Koolmax directly from Peenya. Given the convenience of NICE Road it is fairly easy to access Peenya and the drive is traffic free for most part.

Now coming to the Product itself. I hired Painters to do the work and got 3 coats done. The first coat was Asian Paints Primer in White color and then 2 coats of Allied Koolmax as per the instructions shared. This painting job was done on Saturday.

On Saturday and Sunday the temperature difference was not much. Monday showed little more improvement. So far based on my observation the interior temperature has decreased by 2.5 degrees C. I had purchased this temperature measurement device on Amazon.in before this exercise [URL] and making the comments on temperature differential based on the readings using this device.

The room interior temperature used to be around 32.8 C before Allied Koolmax and yesterday it was 30.3 C degrees. Hoping it cools down a little further otherwise in my opinion the effect is not so drastic and I would consider it not worth the money...
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 21:44   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the update from my side. I purchased Allied Koolmax directly from Peenya. Given the convenience of NICE Road it is fairly easy to access Peenya and the drive is traffic free for most part.

Now coming to the Product itself. I hired Painters to do the work and got 3 coats done. The first coat was Asian Paints Primer in White color and then 2 coats of Allied Koolmax as per the instructions shared. This painting job was done on Saturday.

On Saturday and Sunday the temperature difference was not much. Monday showed little more improvement. So far based on my observation the interior temperature has decreased by 2.5 degrees C. I had purchased this temperature measurement device on Amazon.in before this exercise [URL] and making the comments on temperature differential based on the readings using this device.

The room interior temperature used to be around 32.8 C before Allied Koolmax and yesterday it was 30.3 C degrees. Hoping it cools down a little further otherwise in my opinion the effect is not so drastic and I would consider it not worth the money...

any updates, were you able to see a further temp drop?
Old 14th April 2019, 11:47   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli.ferns View Post
any updates, were you able to see a further temp drop?
No Around 2.5 degrees to 2.7 degrees is he best improvement in terms of indoor temperature is what I could observe. However, when I went to the terrace in the hot afternoon and walked about - I could do so bare feet which was not possible otherwise. So it does work but the benefit in terms of indoor cooling depends on how much of heat the roof is already blocking.

Here are some pictures:

Beat the heat - suggestions required-img_20190329_221645.jpg
Allied Koolmax

Beat the heat - suggestions required-img_20190330_164558.jpg
Roof Coated with Allied Koolmax

Beat the heat - suggestions required-img_20190330_164607.jpg
3 Coats done - 1 Primer + 2 Allied Koolmax

Beat the heat - suggestions required-img_20190330_164623.jpg
Roof looks like it has snowed in Bangalore

Beat the heat - suggestions required-img_20190330_164626.jpg
Snow Capped Roof of Bangalore

Meanwhile, my Uncle went ahead and has got the same coating done this weekend. I will share if the results are any different based on his feedback in a couple of days. Also since I was a repeat customer in such a short period, I got the Allied Koolmax for my Uncle at Rs.5,800/- - billing was done in my name to justify the discount.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 14th April 2019 at 11:50.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 12:14   #60
BHPian

Is this applied on a chip-tile flooring?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks