Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2009, 14:25   #16
Team-BHP Support

In dry heat coolers do wonders. Along with option 1, get a simple cooler(1500rs approx)
Old 2nd April 2009, 14:31   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Let me find out about these coolers. I am assuming since its only a fan a small pump, it is not a power hog.

BTW - I have my parents staying in Surat and we have our own house there. I travel there regularly and do not have the need to stay in a hotel
Bapu,

Surat is a piece of cake as compared to Kutch.

The cooler is the only thing which is going to keep you cool. Even if heavy duty, its the best thing.

Cheers.
Old 2nd April 2009, 14:37   #18
BHPian

Kalpesh, I would suggest a 2 stage solution:

First, get a thatch roof constructed above your bedroom roof slab. To do this you need to put up bamboo framework (4 poles at 4 corners and a criss cross lattice of split bamboo poles on top of that). Then spread hay on top of this lattice making sure that the hay is tied down to the framework. This will cut down the direct solar radiation which accounts for most of the heat. Just make sure it is about 7 feet above your slab so that you can walk under it.

Then you can plaster the top surface of your roof slab with mud (about 1 inch thick would do I guess). Make sure it is mixed properly so that it forms a homogeneous layer. Let it dry slowly to avoid cracking.
Desert coolers are very effective in dry climates and are very cost effective as they have only a fan and a small pump and not a compressor. It would also help humidify the room.

Hope this helps.
Old 2nd April 2009, 16:01   #19
BHPian

In "The Shawshank Redemption", the white guy (inmate) nearly gets thrown off the roof while laying something like "Tar" on the roof...
Old 2nd April 2009, 18:50   #20
BHPian

That would do exactly the opposite and turn your bedroom into a furnace !! I've stayed in a house where tar was applied for water proofing and believe me, i'd be anywhere else in the world at night rather than that bedroom of ours.
Old 2nd April 2009, 20:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

how about a asbestos roof on top of your roof? would be costly though.

can you not change ur bedroom to be on lower floor? with a 5 month old son, extreme measures may be needed.

can you not take a portable AC, just to cool a small area of your room?

I love to live naturally and face the elements, but till he is very young, I would recommend these measures.
Old 2nd April 2009, 20:10   #22
Senior - BHPian

I am sorry, but I tend to disagree with the desert cooler solution. The cooler will work fine till the temperature is around 35-38 but after that it simply stops to cool.

I have the same arrangement in my room (which is also on the top floor getting direct sunlight from 3 sides) cooler works fine till march-april but in May the cooler is of no use.

Untill and unless its a custom made cooler with large chic area, extra powerfull fan and one of those tullu pumps for throwing water on the pump.
Old 2nd April 2009, 20:38   #23
BHPian

Quote:
That would do exactly the opposite and turn your bedroom into a furnace !! I've stayed in a house where tar was applied for water proofing and believe me, i'd be anywhere else in the world at night rather than that bedroom of ours.
Oh ho... sorry.

Around here, people have set-up mini-nurseries on their rooftops and Then covered them with some greenish cloth.

Wasn't khus used to cool rooftops?

The thermocol-sheet sounds nice as a temporary solution.
Old 3rd April 2009, 10:31   #24
BHPian

I am going to get myself a regular cooler - not sure what you mean by desert coolers though. Maybe a Bajaj/Kenstar/Symphony one which has a large water holding capacity. Since it's only a few days, I can manage with just a cooler. Temporarily, I can borrow some tarpaulin cloth or gunny sacks and put them on the terrace to reduce the direct sunlight effect.

Guys, cost is a big consideration here. I did think about asbestos/plastic sheets, but that would end up being a costly affair.
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:02   #25
BHPian

Check this out - Birla White Cement : Kool-n-Seal Picture Products Info.

This is a very good products. Works very well on syntex tanks as well.
Old 3rd April 2009, 15:31   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
Check this out - Birla White Cement : Kool-n-Seal Picture Products Info.

This is a very good products. Works very well on syntex tanks as well.
Thanks for that link. This is so kool.
Old 3rd April 2009, 16:18   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Hence proved that Yetiblogs are not only enjoyable but also informative and helpful.
*bowing* thank you Navpreet. That was a nice compliment.
Old 3rd April 2009, 17:22   #28
Team-BHP Support

How about renting an AC ?
Old 3rd April 2009, 17:36   #29
SuperSyn

Quote:
Temporarily, I can borrow some tarpaulin cloth or gunny sacks and put them on the terrace to reduce the direct sunlight effect.
Use cheap jute sacks instead. Two layers all over the roof, no area exposed to direct sunlight. Irrigate the jute sacks with water every few hours to keep them moist.

Not only is the solar energy used up in evaporating the moisture, but this evaporation means the lower side (in contact with roof) will be cooled too.

Very cheap, very effective.

Old 3rd April 2009, 18:51   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
*bowing* thank you Navpreet. That was a nice compliment.

Bowing just won't cut it. We need another blog ...soon. This is not for fun sake - it's for information and knowledge as Navpreet put it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks