Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2005, 15:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

First experience with a turbo

Hi,

Been a long time since I have started a new thread and took this wild experience as a reason to kick one off.

About a month ago a friend asked me to turbo his Diesel Conti for him as he wasn't happy with the torque on the higher gears as things usually have a way to go I agreed. It took me about 15 days to source a direct fit piece for him with the manifold and the turbo in good condition.

Enthusiastic as I am I picked up the IHI Turbo and the orignal manifold for him without informing him and asked him to come over the next day to check out the piece and chalk out a plan for us to install it into his car. He fell in love with the turbo and the discussion moved towards the costs and when I gave him an approx he walked out and I was left high and dry.

I had already paid for it and there was no way I could get my money back. That's when I hatched a plan to transplant it into "My Contessa" and there started the crazy experiences.

Had to build a custom mounting and plumbing job as the diesel one wouldnt fit on a petrol conti, spray of oil over the engine bay, continous spray of petrol all over the car whe we test ran it, lack of cash for a K&N and the list goes on and on...

To cut a long story short managed to sort everything out and get the car running fine (exepting a higher temp, need to figure why its happening might have it sorted tomm), max boost has been limited to 8 PSI. The turbo starts spooling at 900 rpm and hits the max boost at 3000 rpm.

The car seems to be more torquier than before and asks for it to be driven on the higher gears and is peppy as hell.

Now to summarise:

"I AM A PROUD OWNER OF A PETROL TURBO CONTESSA CLASSIC."
Old 20th May 2005, 15:28   #2
BHPian

nice!..now dyno itt!!!

Last edited by Rtech : 20th May 2005 at 16:29. Reason: Don't quote entire posts in your reply.
Old 20th May 2005, 15:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ahh Psycho

True to your name youve done it again buddy . Now how bout a full test report of the car

Dippy
Old 20th May 2005, 15:32   #4
BHPian

Excellent!! So its done. Congrats. Hope to see it tomorrow when i come over.
Old 20th May 2005, 15:38   #5
BHPian

Thats sounds like a neat job psycho

Waitin for an in-depth report on it

Good goin mate ..
Old 20th May 2005, 16:27   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Psycho,

Its one thing to have a turbo charged car. And entirely another to do it yourself!! Congrats. How about some pictures detailing the plumbing and the turbo?

Quote:
as things usually have a way to go I agreed.
I can personally vouch for this attribute, think I have harrowed you and Anoops enough.

GTO
Old 20th May 2005, 16:40   #7
Team-BHP Support

Psycho, I regret not meeting you when i was in Bangalore! You seriously live upto your screen name don't you.

I just hope you've taken step-by-step pictures of your installation to share with the rest of us. Awesome job man!
Old 20th May 2005, 16:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

wow,
like every says u have lived upto ur name.

but will the stock engine parts withstand the extra pressure of the turbo.as all turbo engines have separate parts than their no turbo versions.

so what other mods have you done.
pics please.
Old 20th May 2005, 17:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys for the support, as for the nick I got it for my biking escapades way back in 91 (Damn I feel like I am forced to live up my nick) and have lived up to it since.

This installation happened to be a hurried one hence no step by step pics this time. will put in a detailed write up on the car's performance once I have had a chance to take it out for a "Long Drive" (What say Rudra?)
Old 20th May 2005, 19:04   #10
BHPian

i suppose the conti had an ISUZU diesel engine....where did you arrange the turbo from?? how much did it cost you...the turbo on my jeep(having an ISUZU turbo diesel engine) just went bust and was wondering how much it cost you?? i have located a place where i can replace the turbo for a damn nice price!!
Old 21st May 2005, 08:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrikar
i suppose the conti had an ISUZU diesel engine....
The contessa has a petrol 4zb1 engine as for the turbo setup it didnt work out too expensive as I have used a second hand turbo taken from a Isuzu D1.

Have done this mod myself and have couple of old garetts lying with me for my next project.
Old 21st May 2005, 09:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Awesome
Is this an MPfi Conti ? How are you handling the fueling requirements. Would recomend you you put a AFM to check if its leaning out at max boost. Running lean causes high temps and that could be your problem. Also since its a diesel turbo it may not have a BOV...how did you take care of that?
Old 21st May 2005, 13:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

wow!!! well i am coming today to yur place and taking the baby for a spin
Old 21st May 2005, 14:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrikar
i suppose the conti had an ISUZU diesel engine....where did you arrange the turbo from?? how much did it cost you...the turbo on my jeep(having an ISUZU turbo diesel engine) just went bust and was wondering how much it cost you?? i have located a place where i can replace the turbo for a damn nice price!!
Dont know if many of you have heard of the 'Kazwa' which was basically a Renault Scenic lookalike built in very limited numbers by a crazy bidi manufacturer (Kajah Bidis, Rajah Motors) in Kerala. That thing had a turbocharged Conti Diesel (Isuzu) engine as well - you might be able to pick up some information from them on how to turbocharge your Conti.
Old 23rd May 2005, 07:13   #15
BHPian

thnx for the tip but im not the one with the conti....i have a jeep with a turbo isuzu....and i know loads of places here in delhi where i can get a turbo....thanks for the tip off anyways....kerela is way long from here

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks