View Poll Results: What do you think about yoga
hmm.. I am interested 42 84.00%
naah.. i am better off without it 8 16.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2008, 18:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

I was into yoga and pranayama until very recently. But, a lack of motivation from my side to get up at 5 am everyday got me out of it. This was the only time that suited my yoga teacher. I have started gymming now, but I really miss all those stretching exercises and pranayama. I am planning on starting at least the pranayama in addition to what I am doing now.

I agree that yoga will provide a complete exercise to your mind and body as against anything else.
Old 1st July 2008, 18:58   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I would love to practice yoga and intend to do it atleast 3 times a week in the near future. Having seen the effect on some close family members & friends, I have been left impressed by the surge in mental / physical capability.

Anyone out there into power yoga? Any tips or feedback?
GTO, Iyengar Yoga is a good option. I am no expert on the same, but I have done Yoga on and off since my childhood days and it truly is wonderful. Not sure whether the below address is anywhere near where you stay.
InstituteIyengar YogashrayaAddress126 Senapati Bapat Marg, Lower Parel , Mumbai , Maharashtra - 400 013Phone91-22-2494 8416E-mail[COLOR=#0000ff]info@bksiyengar.com[/COLOR]
Iyengar yoga stresses on working on the body before you focus on the mind. B K S Iyengar is himself a miraculous man who at the ripe old age of 90 is living proof of Yoga's potency.
Old 1st July 2008, 20:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
interesting topic. i am going to face the same issues in an year or two, probably we can start a thread on parenting.

By the way, did you monitor his time spent on TV/PC games etc, versus time spent with parents in meaningful conversation? Probably taking his hourly schedule for a week and analyzing will give some clues.

Also diet, is he having too much of sugars, chocolate, caffeine (soft drinks)? that makes kids hyperactive.
Thanks for the suggesstions. He is interested in PC games, but I seldom allow him to play. He spents good amount of time with my wife. And relatively low with me.

He likes chocolates but do not eat often. Strict no to soft drinks.

I will try to follow the pattern for a while and let me see, how it turns.
Old 1st July 2008, 20:22   #19
BHPian

@mjothi, You can also enroll your son in some martial arts classes. The good ones teaches one how to avoid conflict
Old 1st July 2008, 20:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I would love to practice yoga and intend to do it atleast 3 times a week in the near future. Having seen the effect on some close family members & friends, I have been left impressed by the surge in mental / physical capability.

Anyone out there into power yoga? Any tips or feedback?
Hey GTO,
you were never inspired by me experiences????.
i thought you were. What is the power yoga? never heard of it. is it something of crash sort of? if you run out of power, just do a set of bhastrika (AOL name may be there might be a common name). very fast and very effective. no need for redbull.
Old 1st July 2008, 22:17   #21
ECM
BHPian

Yoga indeed helps.I have seen some real miracles happening with some closeby friends.Best is Kapalbhati pranayam which helps to lower BP and Blood sugar levels,it also helps to reduce deadly cholesterol,let me underline one line that no yoga is complete untill you start taking Cow's milk in your diet and wear Rudraksha because both have direct link with supreme Lord Shiva who was the creator of Yoga.
Old 1st July 2008, 22:52   #22
BHPian

The goal of yoga is meditation.
There are plenty of schools on Astanga yoga.

After practising posture it is also important to meditate.

Ashtanga Yoga - Asia

Hope this helps.

Dont wait to enroll for a class...Start with Surya Namaskar
Old 2nd July 2008, 07:48   #23
SuperSyn

I do not do pranayama (yet), but I'll heartily recommend doing Surya-Namaskara 8~10 times every morning. I do not chant mantras or magic words though, just proper breathing.

It is very easy and straightforward to do. There are some excellent videos on Youtube to get you started, not to mention complete yoga tutorial DVD's on 'those' torrent sites.

Old 2nd July 2008, 10:52   #24
BHPian

It is very difficult to get the nuances of breath control right, if you practise Yoga, by watching a video.
It is always better to go to a good instructor, learn Surya Namaskara, and then practise at home.
Old 23rd July 2012, 09:41   #25
BHPian

Re: Pranayam: Are You A Part Of The Yoga Revolution?

Happy to revive a dead thread.

Can some one suggest me good yoga practising centre or school near JP Nagar/Bannerghatta road, Jaynagar localities.

Thanks in advance.
Old 24th July 2012, 20:54   #26
BHPian

Re: Pranayam: Are You A Part Of The Yoga Revolution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Happy to revive a dead thread.

Can some one suggest me good yoga practising centre or school near JP Nagar/Bannerghatta road, Jaynagar localities.

Thanks in advance.
If you are not having problem with Swami Ramdev's center then, the panjali website list center's where one can call and ask the details.
Old 29th December 2015, 15:55   #27
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

I could not find a thread for this hence posting it to a slightly related thread. My question is about Yoga - I know it is not related to bodybuilding but it is about being fit and this thread attracts such audience.

Has anyone here tried Yoga? I am looking at it so that I keep my body flexible enough and also to experience the so called stress busting qualities of Yoga. Some people hire Yoga teachers who come to their house and gives them lessons. Some people prefer to go to a school where you practice alongside many like minded people.

However I was thinking of doing Yoga by looking at youtube videos. Has anyone tried doing that? Please note that I do not have any specific health issue/area which I am trying to rectify with Yoga. I just need to have some sort of exercise and Yoga seems like an option worth trying!

What would you guys recommend? Is it better to learn Yoga from a teacher? I will be really glad if you could point me to a good Yoga teacher - I stay in Mumbai (Goregaon Area). Any tips/suggestions would be welcome!
Old 29th December 2015, 16:59   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post

However I was thinking of doing Yoga by looking at Youtube videos. Has anyone tried doing that? Please note that I do not have any specific health issue/area which I am trying to rectify with Yoga. I just need to have some sort of exercise and Yoga seems like an option worth trying!

What would you guys recommend? Is it better to learn Yoga from a teacher? I will be really glad if you could point me to a good Yoga teacher - I stay in Mumbai (Goregaon Area). Any tips/suggestions would be welcome!
A good way to start yoga is through body awareness exercises to build flexibility and build up from there. Learn to activate different muscle groups and improve balance.

Sensational yoga poses on YouTube is really good for body awareness and flexibility. The guy also explains the anatomy in the videos and is very comprehensive.
Old 29th January 2016, 19:11   #29
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pranayam: Are You a part of the Yoga revolution?

Anyone into Jal neti kriya?
Old 29th January 2016, 19:27   #30
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pranayam: Are You a part of the Yoga revolution?

My mother got me enrolled to yoga classes as a kid for several years, and even though I haven't kept up with the whole hog, I still religiously do surya-namaskars and simple deep-breathing exercises. Not only is it simple and healthy, but very convenient and can be done pretty much everywhere without needing any specific equipment (except a mat).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks