Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2005, 13:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Driving on flooded roads...

Seeing the bangalore weather, and after being stranded on a flooded road yesterday, i am wondering what are the tips that one could use regarding driving in such conditions...
One is to keep the throttle open at a constant rate to prevent water from entering the exhaust system.. thats what i heard/read somewhere.
Second is as soon as u get out of the clogged area, pump your breaks.

Any other tips?

Cheers
Amitoj
Old 1st June 2005, 13:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

1) Try and drive through flooded areas in your second gear, so that you can downshift if you get stuck somewhere.
2) MPFI car owners if your car stalls leave it there as there could be chances of your electronics shorting out if you try and start it again. You can however try starting if the level of the water is below the bottom line of your front bumper.
3) Dont fly through puddles / patches respect the people on 2 wheelers and on the side of the road.
Old 1st June 2005, 13:50   #3
Team-BHP Support

1. Throttle
2. Pump brakes
3. Drive as slow as possible, splashes of water in distributor will shut down the engine. In case of diesels the water should not go in the air intake.
4. IF you frequent wet areas, seal the distributor temporarily with putty. Will offer you added protection. Also seal the rubber water drains with tape. If they come loose in deep water your car will be full of water. The moment you see lot of steam emanating, avoid going deeper. It means your engine block is submerged. For most cars once the headlights start getting submerged, its not safe to go further.
5. If you see a wide stretch of road with shallow water standing(2-3 inches), no traffic in sight, splash through, its fun aquaplaning. You lose steering control and your rear spins, and then when you hit solid ground again the fishtail is really exhilerating.... hehe just kidding.

On a side note you blr people are lucky. Delhi is like a oven now and i am scared to even sit in the car when its parked in sun. whew!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 1st June 2005 at 13:59.
Old 1st June 2005, 13:51   #4
Awaiting Email Confirmation

[QUOTE3) Dont fly through puddles / patches respect the people on 2 wheelers and on the side of the road.[/quote]

3 Cheers to Psycho

afterall the guy on the 2 wheeler could be a tbhpian

i hate guys who splash water on 2 wheelers
Old 1st June 2005, 14:24   #5
BHPian

Hey Psycho, I would differ with you on point 1. If you have to keep the engine revving, its easier to do so in 1st without attaining too much speed. if you do 4k RPM in 2nd you would be doing obscene speeds, considering the circumstances.

Also use your clutch to control speed rather than take your lef off the accelerator. Last week I tried using the hand brake to shed speed instead of using the pedals.... works, but takes some getting used to...
Old 1st June 2005, 14:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulmd
if you do 4k RPM in 2nd you would be doing obscene speeds, considering the circumstances.
A constant rev of about 2000 rpm is good enough to keep the water out of the exhaust and second gear can be managed with a clutch slip. However if one does start stalling in the 2nd gear you still have an option to downshift and continue moving.
Old 1st June 2005, 14:41   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARLET
[QUOTE3) Dont fly through puddles / patches respect the people on 2 wheelers and on the side of the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARLET
3 Cheers to Psycho

afterall the guy on the 2 wheeler could be a tbhpian

i hate guys who splash water on 2 wheelers

Thank you both!! There's nothing worse than a moron splashing you while on your bike. Show the same respect for pedestrians as well.

Only Auto's and taxi's deserve to be splashed
Old 1st June 2005, 14:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Here's a site with tips on how to drive through flooded roads - Tackling flooded roads

Shan2nu
Old 1st June 2005, 15:40   #9
BHPian

My tip: Get into water only if sure depth is manageable. Its always better to let somebody else experiment and follow if they dont stall. Usually roads slope downwards towards the sides for drainage reasons, hence at the centre of road, depth of water may be lowest.

Stick to 1st gear at around 2000 rev to avoid water entry into the exhaust. Speed should be as low as possible as water ripples caused by your own vehicle could cause water level to rise. If water enters the air inlet then you've a aqua lock causing severe engine damage (bent connecting rod etc.). 2nd gear is a bad idea as you may not get a second chance if the car stalls.
Old 1st June 2005, 17:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

driving on a wet road

see if there is sufficient windshield washer fluid as the grimy road spray will make driving difficult.
also check your wipers before the monsoons.

operate wipers in short bursts and use washer spray liberally.
stay behind all thos eheavy vehicles without mud flaps.as it is maintain distance from all vehicles as the braking distance is more.
sudden braking or steering inputs will affect control.
ensure proper tire thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTOCARINDIA ;)
also in extreme condtions,although its not recommended,a car with manual transmission can be driven out using the starter.u can mak ethis effective by removing the plugs andthereby lowering compression and allowing the staretr to crank easily.try not to let water enter the cylinders .us ethis only as a last resort
as far sa possible avoid driving when wet.stillif u have to drive as slow as possible.

about driving through deep water
avoid deep water if its above the floor of ur car.so dont go further unless ur really sure.
or else wait for some bakra to cross the road so that u no how deep it is.
stay in first gear and drive slowly ,but maintain the momentum with a steady throttle.

if exhasut is below water ,keep revvs high by slipping clutch as this way the exhaust gases will prevent water from entering into the exhasut.

if u stall,engage first gear and then turn the starter

take care to see that the air intake has no water in it.or else ur engine is gone.

after coming out of deep water,pump the brakes to check them.and then dry them by slowly applying brakes and driving.

my advice:use public transport during rains and extend the life of your car"

Last edited by speedsatya : 1st June 2005 at 17:47.
Old 1st June 2005, 18:11   #11
Team-BHP Support

buy a bajaj ct100 lol.. best avoid if possible flooded roads.. if not keep revs happy, keep an eye out for a boulder which a friendly neighbhorhood person might have left to avaoid people splashing water onto his yard, can be very dangerous..

if u can avoid, its worth it coz however new the car is there are chances that wanter will enter your interiors and then its a pain and that pain is directly proportional to how new the car is and how much more u love the car.. so keep off the road for some time after rains so that things settle down..

and if u suspect that water has entered ur intake or exhaust n car stalled dont crank coz it can coz hydrolock n damange ur engine internals badly.. FYI MPFI esteem head unit and ECU can cost few lacks from showroom..
Old 1st June 2005, 22:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

also make sure u know about the road ur travelling on...

i had this real bad experience when me and my frnd in my nexia were goin on this road full of abt 5-6inch water, we were doing abt 30-40kms/h, then suddenly there was this BIG THUD!! the car got stuck in the middle of the road. We got out and found out that the car got stuck in a BIG hole dug up for some road works, and there wasn't any sign of it around. And it was a Sunday too, so had to leave the car, got some more frieds and managed to get the car out. Real bad experience. Now i'm scared to even drive thru 2-3inches of water

SO GUYS..KEEP A WATCH ON THE ROAD
Old 2nd June 2005, 00:02   #13
BHPian

dun go in if u have another option if.. you go in there follow the tips above..##

if your engine stalls get it out log on to tbhp and create a thread how to counter stalls

Last edited by cheatingdeath : 2nd June 2005 at 00:04.
Old 2nd June 2005, 11:40   #14
BHPian

Slow down before you approach deep water, engage 1st gear, use clutch slip to cotrol your speed, and go at 10 KMPH.. Watch out for bow waves created by other vehicles.. If you do see one coming at you, try and drive prependicular into it.. Keep sufficient clearance to go around other vehicles in case they stall.
Old 2nd June 2005, 12:05   #15
Team-BHP Support

And avoid the inner ring road in Bangalore - I got stuck in a jam due to stranded cars. Inconsiderate buses swept past putting auto out of join. The car nearly got swept away by the force of the waves. A zen and a Palio were half submerged on the roadside.

Makes a case for a SUV - I have been using one over here in the UK for the past week - makes a difference - what am I driving ?.........watch this space

Last edited by ajmat : 2nd June 2005 at 12:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks