Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2009, 23:36   #16
BHPian

Most of the time @ home. But if I go for a long trip then it will be my wife's hand bag
But the problem raise again ? My wife always keeps her hand bag inside the car :(
Old 1st June 2009, 23:40   #17
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT SPAM the forum. One-liners that add absolutely no value to the thread are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to visit our board rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd June 2009 at 10:36.
AirbusA340 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 1st June 2009, 23:49   #18
BHPian

Ihave kept it with an uncle of mine who stays just about 3 kms away.When I travel outside the city on long trips I keep it in my wife's bag.
Old 1st June 2009, 23:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Always, always in my pocket. Wherever I go, I'll never get locked out of the car !
Old 2nd June 2009, 13:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer_dg View Post
Ihave kept it with an uncle of mine who stays just about 3 kms away.When I travel outside the city on long trips I keep it in my wife's bag.
I have seen people keep their house keys at their relative/neighbor's place if they have an autolock. But what advantage you get keeping a car key at someone's place? Isn't it same as keeping it at your home? Care to explain the logic?
Old 2nd June 2009, 14:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

I keep spare keys at my home.
This reminds me of one incident, I accidentally left my key inside the car and locked it. To make matters worse, my house key was in my bag which was also inside the car and there was nobody else who had the house keys. I couldn't find any mechanic nearby, so called up maruti mobile service for help, which took around in 2-3 hours to come to rescue.
I have locked my car with keys inside around 4-5 times in last 5 years.

@Jaguar
i think this explains the logic of keeping keys in someone else's house
Old 2nd June 2009, 15:07   #22
BHPian

Well, till now I never gave much thought to it. Whether in town or out of town, the spare key is always there at home.

Probably, need to carry with me when I am going out on long drives.
Old 2nd June 2009, 15:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

Have kept my spare key in office and can be accessed with guidance. Purpose of keeping it in office is accessibility in case of emergency. Can pull someone to help me out at any time

While on highway trip, I ask someone who is accompanying me to have it. I remind them on the keys always before I head out from Hotel.

Reminds me of this thread
Old 12th August 2009, 02:21   #24
BHPian

Almost 50% of the BHPians keep the spare key in wife's handbag as far the replies are going ! Anway I am not like those.
I keep the original in my wife's purse and the duplicate with me

Enough joking,now a serious question: can a single key made to be used for my three cars;I mean changing all the cars locks?
Its very difficult for us to handle 6 keys for cars,2 keys for byke(not mentioning the houses keys-they are calculated by my mom and offtopic too).

Last edited by abhishek_bmw : 12th August 2009 at 02:29.
Old 12th August 2009, 06:24   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_bmw View Post
Almost 50% of the BHPians keep the spare key in wife's handbag as far the replies are going ! Anway I am not like those.
I keep the original in my wife's purse and the duplicate with me

Enough joking,now a serious question: can a single key made to be used for my three cars;I mean changing all the cars locks?
Its very difficult for us to handle 6 keys for cars,2 keys for byke(not mentioning the houses keys-they are calculated by my mom and offtopic too).
If you are an expert locksmith (or know one), you could re-arrange the pins in the locks to suit the single key. ie if the vechicles are all the same types as the key design changes with different manufacturers / models.

Another point.
A very strong magnetic case to hold the spare key used to be awailable. You could stick the case to any convenient point under the vehicle ( hidden).
Old 12th August 2009, 09:42   #26
Senior - BHPian

Spare key? I really don't remember!
Old 12th August 2009, 09:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

As my car is fitted with ICATS, there is only one spare key. I keep it safely in a pouch in my cupboard, but easy enough for someone at home to find and fetch if I call them up. But if we go out of town by car, then I always keep the spare key in my purse, which never leaves my pocket.
Old 12th August 2009, 09:59   #28
BHPian

At home in my drawer when in city. While on long drives, in wife's handbag.
Old 12th August 2009, 10:16   #29
Senior - BHPian

After getting my keys locked inside for two-three times, I started carrying my duplicate key in my wallet which helped several times.

This key, without chain, easily fits into my wallet.
Old 12th August 2009, 11:56   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I'm not telling you where I keep my spare key. What if you steal my car?
I'd just take the ICE. It's probably worth more. I dont even need the key just this
Japanese-Made Car Lockout Tools: How to Retrieve Keys Locked in a Car | eHow.com

I use this.
Extra Large Magnetic Key Case for Car Home or Office, Extra Large Magnetic Key Case for Car Home or Office Kits, Extra Large Magnetic Key Case for Car Home or Office Products
Expandable Hide-A-Key Magnetic Auto Key Case, Expandable Hide-A-Key Magnetic Auto Key Case Kits, Expandable Hide-A-Key Magnetic Auto Key Case Products
Deluxe Magnetic Key Holder Hide-A-Key Case, 2 Pack, Deluxe Magnetic Key Holder Hide-A-Key Case, 2 Pack Kits, Deluxe Magnetic Key Holder Hide-A-Key Case, 2 Pack Products
Stor-A-Key : Magnetic weather resistant keysafe
Magnetic Key Holder for Car, Home or Office, Magnetic Key Holder for Car, Home or Office Kits, Magnetic Key Holder for Car, Home or Office Products
Magnetic Key Case - HIDE A KEY

Magnetic Car Key Holder Tips: How to Retrieve Keys Locked in a Car | eHow.com

I use a screw driver and hide this between the rear number plate and car's tinwork. This way if my key is misplaced I can get any flat object unscrew the rear number plate and retrieve the key. This way the key does not drop off if I hit a bump or two.

Since I know a thing or two about magnets I intend to retrofit a NdFeB magnet into this box. The glue that holds the magnet to the box does deteriorate with time so re-fix the magnet using with a good epoxy cement like Araldite.

For the ICEers the second link provides the more dead (least resonant) chamber. The ones I have are posted on the first link.

Last edited by navin : 12th August 2009 at 11:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks