Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2008, 12:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Tennis Thread

I am creating this thread for all Lawn Tennis fans and players.

I don't know how many you watched the Wimbledon final yesterday between Nadal and Federer but those who did not - You guys missed something really special.

What a match - Nadal goes 2-0 up and when all seemed lost Federer came back with 2 tie-breaker wins in the 3rd and 4th set. And in the 5th - it was a see-saw battle till IMO Federer lost it in his mind. 4.5 hours of awesome tennis, the match was interrupted twice with rain delays and finally ended close to 2 am IST. But it was well worth it.

The 4th set was simply mind blowing with the quality of play shown by both.

I am glad I stayed glued to Wimbledon and not the Asia Cup.

btw - this Nadal guy is turning out to be a super player. I really did not expect him to reach 3 consecutive Wimbledon finals but I think the era of serve and volley players is slowly dying out.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 7th July 2008 at 12:07.
Old 7th July 2008, 12:19   #2
BHPian

I too was watching the finals of the Wimbledon rather than suffering from heart burn by watching the Indian Cricket team loose once again and I am glad I did! It surely was the best Wimbledon finals ever. 4 hours 48 minutes of unadulterated pleasure with 2 rain delays. What else could some ask for? I think now its Nadal's turn and Federer will go into a decline.
Old 7th July 2008, 12:27   #3
BANNED

Great year for Spain, Soccer, now Tennis.

Also, It also marked the first time that a player won both the French Open and Wimbledon back to back since Bjorn Borg in 1980
Old 7th July 2008, 12:30   #4
Team-BHP Support

Same here. But went to sleep during the rain interruption in the last set because of the following two reasons:
1 - I was sleepy
2- Had this superstition that Nadal will lose if I keep watching so better not to watch.

Way to go Nadal. Wanted FedEx to lose. I also don't like players that are too proud of and show off their achievements. The guy has the Wimbledon trophy pic (along with the number 5 ) on his shoes, wristband and the kit etc. As Alan Wilkins said yesterday, nobody owns the center court and I am glad Fedex was taught this lesson.
Old 7th July 2008, 12:31   #5
BHPian

Bjorn Borg had predicted a Nadal win this year and thats what happened; great going for Spain.
Old 7th July 2008, 12:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

The wimbledon final was one of the best ever played.
Both guys tried their best.
But in the end , Rafa Deserved It.

3 Cheers for Rafa.
Hip Hip , Hurray
Hip Hip , Hurray
Hip Hip , Hurraayyyyyy

(P.S. I am a fan of Raphael Nadal)
Old 7th July 2008, 14:39   #7
BHPian

This was quite simply the single most enthralling game of tennis I have ever seen! I am so glad I stopped watching the Boys in Blue getting mauled once again and switched to tennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
I think now its Nadal's turn and Federer will go into a decline.
On the contrary, I think after years of ruling the big stage and only Roddick threatening once in a while, this is just the motivation Federer needed to raise his game even more.
Every once in a while a rivalry comes up in tennis which makes both the opponents raise their games further, because of each other.
Recall Bjorn Bjorg-McEnroe, Stefan Edberg- Boris Becker, Sampras-Agassi. My prediction is, that this rivalry will surely be counted as one of the best ever, counted among those mentioned above
Old 7th July 2008, 15:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
It surely was the best Wimbledon finals ever.
I think the Andre Agassi - Goran final in 1992 (IIRC) was the best I have watched. The best server v/s the best returner.

Oh God - 5 sets of pure bliss that was. The serves, the returns, the passes, the ground strokes and 2 of most enigmatic and charismatic players clashing. That was one hell of a final.
Old 7th July 2008, 15:38   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I think the Andre Agassi - Goran final in 1992 (IIRC) was the best I have watched. The best server v/s the best returner.
My list of best finals:

1 - Goran Ivanesivic Vs Pat Rafter 2001. Not great in terms of the quality but my most memorable tennis match for the result it produced. Almost cried with joy.

2- Goran Vs Aggasi. 1992 I was 12 yrs old and obviously supported the blonde with long hair and a pretty girl.

3- Yesterday. Because Fedex was taught a lesson.

Last edited by Eddy : 7th July 2008 at 15:40.
Old 7th July 2008, 15:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

No one seems to be sad for Federer's loss here ! It was a great match up and hope to see how Nadal will fare in the U.S open.
Federer is for me the greatest player I have ever watched. The shots he plays are unbelievable.
Hope these two will give us some more memorable matches.
Old 7th July 2008, 15:47   #11
Team-BHP Support

Nadal is emerging as the greatest tennis player of all times. It used to be said He has "feet of Clay", but now we know he can get high on grass too!
Old 7th July 2008, 15:48   #12
BHPian

I was an ardant Goran fan and followed tennis religiously until he retired. I adore him for the power he generates in his serves. Also he holds the record of a wildcard winning the wimbledon.
Old 7th July 2008, 15:49   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Nadal is emerging as the greatest tennis player of all times. It used to be said He has "feet of Clay", but now we know he can get high on grass too!
Greatest player of all will take some doing. But yes, he is definitely a prospect and needs to keep his head and fitness.

Sampras is the best I have seen, his forte being his all round expertise.
Old 7th July 2008, 16:12   #14
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

glad Nadal won yesterday
he deserved that win

also like Federer a lot - excellent temperament and a complete gentleman
but as they say - may the best man win!
Old 7th July 2008, 16:21   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post

Oh God - 5 sets of pure bliss that was. The serves, the returns, the passes, the ground strokes and 2 of most enigmatic and charismatic players clashing. That was one hell of a final.
I second N_C. That must be the greatest final ever. And if I remember correctly, Agassi' future wife Steffi Graf also won that year, beating Seles.

\N

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks