Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2009, 12:13   #1
BHPian

Texting While Driving: How Dangerous is it?

I feel it's a must read article.

Texting While Driving: How Dangerous is it? - Feature/Features/Classic Cars/High Performance/Hot Lists/Reviews/Car and Driver - Car And Driver
Old 1st July 2009, 13:01   #2
BHPian

Interesting article. Not surprised at the reaction times they have mentioned. If speaking on a cellphone while driving is dangerous, texting will definitely be more so as you will need to take your eyes off the road to send or read a message.
Old 1st July 2009, 13:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

+1 to that, talking on the cellphone while driving takes your concentration elsewhere while it should and must be on the road ahead ! Texting is even worse as like straightdrive says, it takes your eyes off the road.
Old 1st July 2009, 13:18   #4
BHPian

one word -- Suicidal. how on earth can someone think of texting while driving. Its a sure shot way of booking a one way ticket to hell
Old 1st July 2009, 13:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Indeed the most dangerous act while driving. Talking on phone is still okish, but can't think of driving while testing..
Old 1st July 2009, 13:30   #6
BHPian

Potnetially fatal! I have seen many people (office commuters) in Mumbai specially around Mahim Causeway, texting continuously while driving. I ensure I keep away from such drivers.
Old 1st July 2009, 14:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant idea. Only thing remember to include me in your will.
Old 1st July 2009, 14:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Texting While Driving: Suicidal !

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
I feel it's a must read article...
Thanks for putting up this thread, muralisk. This is definitely a crazy thing to be doing : not something that i would ever do while driving (2-wheeler or 4 -wheeler or whatever)

I have watched an accident unfold right in front of my eyes. This happened around 11:00pm in the night near the toll-gate on the OMR (IT highway) in Chennai. I was in the co-driver seat of the late-night cab provided by the company. There was a mid-size sedan (NHC or Corolla?) going ahead of us. Then, a biker moves in between us. I notice him because he doesnt seem to looking ahead while driving and he is also slowing us down, and also tailgating the sedan dangerously. We are approaching the toll-gate, and there is a speed-breaker ahead of it. Speed would have been around 40-45kmph. The sedan ahead is slowing down for the speed-breaker, and I am noticing that the biker has his head bent , only one hand on the handle-bar and is in no intention of slowing down. Then it suddenly dawns on me...the idiot is texting...BANG...he crashes onto the sedan...he is thrown over the handlebar of his bike, and lands in an awkward position on his head/neck and his own bike runs/falls onto him. (All of this is over in seconds) The driver of our Bolero has already stopped sufficiently in advance. The driver and I get down and go ahead...5-7 people have already gathered. The driver and I , alongwith a couple of others try to help the guy on his feet. Someone else lifts the bike off him. Fortunately no external bleeding, and he was conscious. But from the expression on his face, i could see that he was very much in pain. I did not proceed further in trying to help him out (i was sure that he had severe internal injuries and did not want to accidentally make it worse) : anyway there were 4-5 others who lifted him and moved him and his bike to the side. Someone was trying to call for an ambulance. Our cab driver signalled to me and we left, since he was being taken care of.

Whatever the urgency or importance of the occasion : i dont think it calls for texting while driving. This is one of the crankiest things one can do while driving.

PS : that 2-wheeler driver was wearing a helmet.
(in case, any one gets the idea that it is safe to text/sms while wearing a helmet and driving)

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 1st July 2009 at 14:58.
Old 1st July 2009, 15:03   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Unfortunately far more likely to be murderous than suicidal :(
Old 1st July 2009, 15:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

It's very very dangerous and I have to confess that I did that few times (that's long time ago). But I realized the danger in it and stopped texting or taking calls while driving and never did it again. If you have to take a call or text, please stop the car on a safe road-side first and then carry on communicating.
Old 1st July 2009, 15:13   #11
BHPian

Wonderful topic Muralisk! I learnt to drive when most motorists owned and loved their cars and cared for fellow road users. These days its a completely different scene! I get called I am way too cautious cause i don't take that call when i drive until i pull over, get called I'm scared cause i wear a helmet (since the day i started riding years back). Of course the roads have changed, most people drive as though they are driving on NFS. People do not realize all it takes is a fraction of a sec to change someones life. Why the hurry, why the madness? I am sure Every BHPian knows the rush of speed.. with power comes responsibility... I am sure there aren't many Bhpians who would do something as stupid as text leave alone take a call while driving. If they do, they aught to remember luck runs out! And when it does, its not goin to be as lovely as the rush! Peace!
Old 1st July 2009, 15:18   #12
BANNED

They did a research to know that texting while driving is dangerous???

They could have given me the money instead, i could have told them how dangerous it is.
Old 1st July 2009, 15:29   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

It might have been in UK I saw it, I forget, but some other research rated it as even more dangerous than drinking alcohol and driving.

I'd say there is a very simple comparison for SMSing and driving --- driving with eyes shut!
Old 1st July 2009, 16:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

I think its common sense not to use mobile while driving. And this text smsing is the worst thing to do while driving. I saw dad attending a call recently when he was driving and I was in co-passenger seat. As soon as he put the call down, I told him what he did was terribly wrong. His reply was " Office pressure, Turbine problems and Instrument Panel problems...money doesn't come free ". I replied, Pedestrians and two wheeler's riders life also is not free.

Agreed, they are worst lot as far as discipline goes, but it does not mean we have right to talk on mobile or do text messaging while driving.

Two days back, I had a heated argument with a man who was driving his G3HC at a slow rate on the right most lane because he was talking on mobile. All behind him were angry, including car drivers. I made him stop and then scolded him. Others later on bashed him, while I left the scene. Today, a lady was driving SX4 in a manner that made me tough to determine which direction she was headed into. Used horn, but she did not respond. Aggressive undertake manoeuvrings and later I stopped her car, knocked on the window. Noticed that she was talking on mobile and was arrogant with me. Took out the keys, then using all my might, pretended that keys were thrown. After informing her about common sense, gave the keys back.

Why did I lose temper : Using mobile phone either for talking or sms definitely makes you lose concentration while driving. This is dangerous for one executing that irresponsbile activity and for other road users also.
I wonder how much low can we fall. Those who talk on mobile while driving/riding show the culture they follow, what else ?

Strictly we must not do this. Never. If something goes wrong, within a fraction of second accidnet can take place with sad and unexpected consequences.
Old 1st July 2009, 16:48   #15
BHPian

I did learn to drive in the US and I took three classes. Those three classes gave me a great deal of information on road manners, how to respect the other road users, and the importance of various road signs.

On the final day, he taught me two very important tips - one, never look down even if you spill hot coffee and two, never forget the first tip.

Most Viewed