Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2022, 01:00   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Twentieth Anniversary Of Kargil War! Jo shaheed huye hai unki, jara yaad karo qurbaani...

It is sad that nothing is being reported across anywhere regarding the celebration of the 51st anniversary of the 1971 war.. Thousands of men laid their lives and yet, not even an inkling anywhere !

It’s only while coming back from my workplace did I saw some posters near Fort William- the eastern command center where Vijay Diwas is celebrated every year. A new country was created while winning a war and such an important milestone in history is slowly fading away from public memory.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 17th December 2022 at 01:06.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 08:25   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Twentieth Anniversary Of Kargil War! Jo shaheed huye hai unki, jara yaad karo qurbaani...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
It is sad that nothing is being reported across anywhere regarding the celebration of the 51st anniversary of the 1971 war.. Thousands of men laid their lives and yet, not even an inkling anywhere !

It’s only while coming back from my workplace did I saw some posters near Fort William- the eastern command center where Vijay Diwas is celebrated every year. A new country was created while winning a war and such an important milestone in history is slowly fading away from public memory.
That is one thing about Western countries like USA, UK, France that I admire. They respect their soldiers and they remember and celebrate their victories. Sadly in India the average educated citizen is both ignorant and couldn't careless till another war occurs. The average bureaucrat is apathetic towards the Armed Forces and {based on my few interactions with the IAS} either a trifle jealous or scornful.
V.Narayan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 11:56   #78
Senior - BHPian

A quote from a board next to the Sarvadharm Sthal at SSB Centre Allahabad seems apt :
A nation which forgets its heroes shall itself be soon forgotten.

While I don't want to make this a "complaining" thread but a lot can be done in popularising/familiarising ourselves and even more importantly our next generations about the exceptional valour and achievements of our forces.

For every problem/wrong we see in the society there exists a solution in how the armed forces conduct themselves.
But only if I/we were to look there and have the resolve to learn from it.

On Vijay Diwas, can't emphasize enough the brilliance and magnitude of this feat or the unshakeable resolve of service before self.
A bow of gratitude and respect from a proud and ever indebted citizen.

Jai Hind.

Last edited by Eddy : 26th July 2023 at 16:52. Reason: As requested
shancz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 16:54   #79
Senior - BHPian

While I don't have anything worthy to share on this humbling occasion which serves as a reminder for us to take some time off and remember those who have enabled and enable us to carry on with our lives.
Laughing, crying, smiling, complaining, Living.

A bow of gratitude and respect, to the people who performed exceptional feats under unimaginable conditions for Naam, Namak, Nishaan.
The ultimate example teamwork, comraderie, brotherhood.

- An Indebted Citizen
shancz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 09:55   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
My two year tenure at Drass was majorly an exercise in understanding what went behind these operations to recapture those insurmountable peaks and what propelled the Indian soldier, besieged by the lack of quality winter clothing, to embark on such fantastic missions that hardly guaranteed him his life.
I remember the convoys of trucks passing through Bareilly, vividly remember Vikram Batra's interview and also being scared for his life!
How better prepared are we compared to then? The gear and all which we lacked then, are we better now? it was very frustrating to see army men making supreme sacrifices on impossible missions, the sheer guts and bravery is almost incomprehensible by most. My only grouse was not using the air force early on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks