Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2009, 10:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Inferno atop my residential block, Owner (pilot) killed,1 injured

yeaterday night at 11:30 pm, a shot circuit (AC explosion) sparked an inferno in a bedroom of a top floor house adjacent to my block in Mayur Vihar Phase-2, Delhi.

Pics taken moments after the explosion.

Wife and daughter are fine, husband sustained about 50 % burns (UPDATE: he has passed away) while son about 1-2 percent on his left leg.

3 firetrucks raced in time and the inferno was bought under control in 15 minutes but with a tough time due to narrow lanes.

The big ball on the right is actually a streetlight, not a fire. All other lines are okay.

The resident (owner) was a pilot (cannot disclose the identity).
Attached Thumbnails
Inferno atop my residential block, Owner (pilot) killed,1 injured-dsc00857.jpg  

Last edited by sidindica : 11th August 2009 at 10:44.
Old 11th August 2009, 10:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sad. Fires due to short circuits are becoming fairly common. About 15 days back we lost 3 people in a Fire at my old office on Rafi Marg. the deaths there were more due to hypoxia than burns. May God give strength to the bereaved family to cope with the loss. How old are the kids?
Old 11th August 2009, 10:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear this, Life lost so casually saddens me.
May god give strength to the family to get thorugh this ordeal.
Old 11th August 2009, 11:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear this----one of the most unexpected ways of passing away. I hope the family musters courage to face this saga.
Old 11th August 2009, 11:59   #5
BHPian

Sad to hear this- quite unfortunate. But why would an ac explode?
Old 11th August 2009, 12:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

A similar incident happened in chennai too, a few days back.
Old 11th August 2009, 12:13   #7
Team-BHP Support

I live on the seventh floor of an old apartment building.

Luckily my apartment is right beside the fire exit.
Of course the fire exit has a grill door and its kept locked.

The first thing I did when I moved in was get a duplicate key made and keep it in a very easy to access point in my flat.
Old 11th August 2009, 12:20   #8
BHPian

A/C compressor exploding is becoming regular now, as people do not regularly service them and get it cleaned. With present levels of dust pollution, the filters and compressor body etc needs to be periodically cleaned.
Old 11th August 2009, 14:38   #9
BHPian

Really sad. About a year ago even our house was on fire because of the AC. Thank god it wasn't that huge and was manageable.
Old 11th August 2009, 15:00   #10
BHPian

That is why safety equipments and precautions should be in place.

ELCB / RCD's should be installed to protect against leakages and electrocution, and MCB / MCCB's should be installed to protect against overloads and short circuits. Above all, the wiring should be done properly & professionally, and proper earthing should be in place.

The protection devices should be of proper rating and specifications for the nature of the circuits they are protecting. It’s not just enough to have them installed, they should be regularly tested.

Out here, under voltage relays, timers, overload protection and earth leakage protection are compulsory for the AC circuits.

Once in a while, the entire electrical installation should be inspected by professionals / electricians.

Kitchens should have heat detectors and gas leak detectors. The portable ones would be enough.

Every house should have portable fire extinguishers and fire blankets, just in case the preventive mechanisms fail.

Last edited by Abes : 11th August 2009 at 15:02.
Old 11th August 2009, 15:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Update:

This was a deliberate attempt by the owner himself to commit suicide, not an accident due to his troubled personal life.

Regular fights between the couple were often reported by the neighbors to the police and it was a result of that.
Old 11th August 2009, 15:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
A/C compressor exploding is becoming regular now, as people do not regularly service them and get it cleaned. With present levels of dust pollution, the filters and compressor body etc needs to be periodically cleaned.
Slightly OT but related. Does this means, the same can happen in vehicles also ? ( I mean AC compressor exploding ?) or does the vehicles have a different mechanism ?
Old 11th August 2009, 16:19   #13
BHPian

A suidcide attempt by blowing the A/C, this will giv new ideas to the bollywood film makers
Old 11th August 2009, 16:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Can someone make me understand how can one blast off a compressor? Agreed that the couple had fights. However, who would want to commit suicide by blasting off the compressor when you have other easier ways of committing suicide (A person who has a plane at his disposal can always crash it or jump off the plane or anything?). To be it looks like a pure accident.

RIP.
Old 12th August 2009, 01:55   #15
BHPian

Sad, cause kids lost father, wife lost her husband, family fights do happen, but this loss is huge.

A.C. Exploded ????? i think similar incident happened in Lucknow a few months back, must be/i would assume assembled one, which do not pass quality control checks.
This type of explosion has recently started, is it specific brand, specific cause, or some negligence its is certainly a thing which should be brought to Light for people to become aware.

Wiring is most important Factor for A.C. causing blackouts in home/office, people use 20 to 30 years old wiring in home, and once A.C. puts the load, it can lead to a fire, cable burns, etc etc

Off-topic but
Our house is OLD, but 6 months back, we changed a lot of things, most important works included, COMPLETE Re-WIRING of electricity.
Earlier had MCB's only for A.C. (near Stabilizers), now every room has its own MCB and isolator for each room/floor and between places where the load is distributed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks