Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2009, 13:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
they love british cars

with the above in mind, no chance TG can and need to come to India
Their british cars are now made by tata .
Old 22nd January 2010, 00:54   #17
BHPian

Forget Top Gear coming to India, There is not even a single interesting, un-biased motor show in India. The main reason for this is the funding for the shows, all the motor shows in India are funded by the motor companies themselves Unlike Top Gear which is funded by the BBC through the television license paid by the public. As there is no money coming from the car companies, Jeremy is free to say anything about the cars he reviews.
Shooting Top Gear Christmas special in India is a possibility though.
Old 22nd January 2010, 01:28   #18
BHPian

OT: WHAT?! The stig is Schumi???
Old 22nd January 2010, 06:10   #19
BHPian

Top Grew has turned into a Franchise now. Same theatrics and same vibe with similar shooting but local hosts. But even despite proper training and everything even TG australia failed to delivered after 2 seasons.

Major reason for not coming to india yet is because of how many super cars are locally delivered and supported by manufacturers themselves. On average they will need to do 3 reviews per episode meaning atleast 60 cars in one season. Do we really think second season will be possible ????

Then Michael Shumacher being Stig, well he isn't one simplest reason being he would have been spotted quite some time ago when he would turn up to the set for tracks. Secondly he will not let anyone drive his FXX.

Cheers
Old 22nd January 2010, 06:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Why can't we instead have a local car show that matches the quality & entertainment of Top Gear? Is it too much to ask? We surely have the driving talent, just pick one of the rally pros.
IMO no show can ever match Top Gear. I'm sure it is possible to make a good show about cars but another Top Gear?

I've noticed some Indian shows try to be cocky like the TG hosts and it just makes them look like such idiots. Rohan Joshi, the host of Top Drive tries the whole TG style a lot and it misses the spot every time. I prefer straightforward shows like the C&B show on NDTV Profit as compared to these other shows that pretend to be something they're not.

Coming back to Cyrus's original point. I hope they shoot a special here sometime soon. However I assure you a lot of people are going to be really pissed off with that episode.

Last edited by khanak : 22nd January 2010 at 06:36.
Old 22nd January 2010, 07:13   #21
BHPian

Indian Top Gear??

I guess that there would be many problems. Once a reviewer says that the car is bad, then that car company is automatically offended. So for the next review they wouldn't lend their cars. And no news channel wants to do that!

All the news channels want to show that they are neutral. So any scathing comments that any host gives will almost stir up some dharnas and meetings and protests asking him/her to ask forgiveness and stuff like that!

Imagine what would happen if a famous guy(let alone someone as famous as Jeremy) and going and saying that the ambassador and maruti 800 are the worst cars on road today, all the babu's will pass a resolution stating that is harming someone and some high government official will say that he could have used restraint!

The point is: if we take everyone into consideration, we are not mature enough!
Old 22nd January 2010, 13:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
IMO no show can ever match Top Gear. I'm sure it is possible to make a good show about cars but another Top Gear?

I've noticed some Indian shows try to be cocky like the TG hosts and it just makes them look like such idiots. Rohan Joshi, the host of Top Drive tries the whole TG style a lot and it misses the spot every time. I prefer straightforward shows like the C&B show on NDTV Profit as compared to these other shows that pretend to be something they're not.

Coming back to Cyrus's original point. I hope they shoot a special here sometime soon. However I assure you a lot of people are going to be really pissed off with that episode.
I couldn't agree more with every point you've made. Top Gear is much too original for anyone, Indian or otherwise, to successfully replicate.

And if the real Top Gear does come here, there'll be twenty threads on racist Jeremy within two hours of the show airing.
Old 22nd January 2010, 14:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Ever wondered what would happen if the top gear boys and his Stigness comes to India to shoot a Special??

Lets discuss this here!
I remember JC sitting in a bus/truck on our old narrow single road highway and also in an amby. That was in early 90s. The only car that he really liked was the Montego @ 10Lakhs that time.
He could come over once again and do another one here.

Last edited by esteem_lover : 22nd January 2010 at 14:08.
Old 22nd January 2010, 19:40   #24
BHPian

i really miss the time when TG had Tiff Needle still with them.. back then it was a bit more realistic...

nowadays its all about showmanship if you ask me. if JC likes the handling of a car, he takes it round the corner and drifts it. if the handling is bad, he takes it round the corner and drifts it aswell!! at times i get the feeling that its all a bit choreographed..
maybe because people enjoy a bit of smoke from the tyres, drag races, drifting, etc.....

not that im complaining!!! even after all its flaws, i still love TG!!! now more than ever!!

Last edited by bivin : 22nd January 2010 at 19:41.
Old 22nd January 2010, 20:02   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamSaran View Post
The point is: if we take everyone into consideration, we are not mature enough!
I agree completely to that. I mean god forbid the host bitched about the Porsche Cyanne and a politicians just bought one.

But I think that while TG is brilliant, It is best if it doesn't come to India. It'll ruin the appeal. We like TG not because it shows us the common man avg cars but because it show's us something that is way way better and half the time the better one's don't sell in India and the other time you cant drive it in India thanks to the roads.

May be in like 15 years we should have better roads and all of them filled with Nano's (yay it's slow and cheap yay). Okay I hope that doesn't happen but still better roads is a good thought.
Old 22nd January 2010, 22:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
OT: Call me retro or Tubelight but, on YouTube when I saw the Stig Revealed episode I was somehow thinking what fun it'd be if Schumi was 'The Stig' and guys, you would not believe what I went through when Schumi was revealed. It was unbelieveable. When was this episode aired, any idea? 2 years 3 years back ?

Wonder who could fit into the 'Indian Stig's' role here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
OT: WHAT?! The stig is Schumi???
season 13 episode 1 i think...

rev
Old 23rd January 2010, 23:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

it was a very entertaining episode (Schumi). You can't explain. you have to watch it
Old 27th January 2010, 01:54   #28
Team-BHP Support

Oh I can just picture Clarkson driving an Ambassador, May driving a Padmini and Hammond driving an 800; all of which they had to acquire for 800 Quid (restricted, of course!)
Old 27th January 2010, 02:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

I think they will have a race across Old Delhi

-Jeremy in a Mercedes

-Hammond in a 100cc Hero Honda

-Capn Slow in a CNG rick

Last edited by Mpower : 27th January 2010 at 02:54.
Old 27th January 2010, 06:26   #30
BANNED

if they really wanted to make a good episode they could very well do it.
imagine jeremy in a jeep, may obviously in a cheeky gypsy (or maybe a camel) and hammond possibly would be in a Gurkha or a old jhonga and the three of them having a race across the thar.

Last edited by vinaydas : 27th January 2010 at 06:27.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks