Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2009, 07:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

A Guide : Eating out in Goa

I haven't been able to locate this guide here, so I thought I will start a thread.
First week of November, after spending three days in Malvan, I will allow myself to again succumb to the pull of Goa and drive south! My visits/stay in Goa start from 1978, and while in most ways the state has gone downhill steadily over the years, there is certainly a lot more choice of restaurants along the beach front vicinity.
We will be there for three days in a villa complex at Arpora - since I see no point in staying inside the hotel in Goa for other than sleeping at night, this works out a lot better for me, I don't pay for service I don't need.
Based on a holiday earlier this year, the current list of places to stop by, with reasons in short:
1. Zebop - the ne plus ultra of Goan beach shacks at Utorda. Great beach, very little crowd, fantastic sea food. Pricey, but one visit there is a must. Spend the day there/ stay till the budget for the day runs out, whichever is earlier!
2. Bomras - Candolim. Very good and authentic Burmese food. Dinner place.
3. A Reverie - Candolim. Great ambience, very good and well presented food. Dinner.
4. Travellers Bar - Candolim. Poky little place, but the food, continental, is very good. Dinner.
5. O Coqueiro - Porvorim. Nostalgia trip. Can be crowded, but the food is usually good, lots of local cuisine to sample. Lunch.
6. Brittos - Baga. Always worth the one visit, before the crowds and the hullabaloo gets to you. Any time in the day.
Are there any good beach shacks that have popped up recently? I am looking at a place that is still just a shack, not all dolled up and priced accordingly, where one can sit all day over cashew feni and minimally cooked seafood, listening to good music with some space to oneself? Sounds utopian, I know, but there was a time when they were all like that!
Still have to try Fiesta, Sweet Chilli.
Any inputs/suggestions?
Old 17th October 2009, 09:20   #2
BHPian

7. Souza Lobo - Calangute Beach.

8. RON (Republic of Noodles) - at Candolim (inside the Hotel Lemon Tree Amarante); Pan Asian Cuisine

9. Martin's Corner - Majorda / Betalbatim

10. Infantaria - Corner of Calangute Baga Road, best Sorpotel

Last edited by anilkalvani : 17th October 2009 at 09:26.
Old 17th October 2009, 11:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Oh yeah, how could I forget Infantaria! Another place I have never been to is Lila's cafe across the Baga river. Must go place on this trip, I hear that breakfast style all day eating is superb, if pricey with respect to portion sizes.
Is RON really very good? I have heard about the hotel, but not much about RON.

Last edited by Sawyer : 17th October 2009 at 12:01.
Old 17th October 2009, 12:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread Sawyer, am trying to rack my brains to add on to this list and not succeeding right now ! Never missed going to Infantaria and packing up a whole lot of goodies to take back to Bangalore when the vacation ended ! Don't even remember most of the beach shacks by name, know them only by location and I guess the locations and contracts change every year !
Old 17th October 2009, 12:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Are there any good beach shacks that have popped up recently? I am looking at a place that is still just a shack, not all dolled up and priced accordingly, where one can sit all day over cashew feni and minimally cooked seafood, listening to good music with some space to oneself? Sounds utopian, I know, but there was a time when they were all like that!
Still have to try Fiesta, Sweet Chilli.
Any inputs/suggestions?

I remember a shack called LOVE SHACK on Baga. Scrumptious food and lovely music.
Old 17th October 2009, 12:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Noted bj. Sounds good. How long since you were there?
Old 17th October 2009, 12:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Its a tradition for me to be there the first week of every December. Will be there this year too.
Old 18th October 2009, 10:20   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Sweet Chilli.
Any inputs/suggestions?
Firstly, nice thread. And, will be quite useful to regular visitors to Goa like me.

I visit Sweet Chilli at least once in my every trip to Goa. It's got a nice combination of beautiful ambience, good food,service and reasonable pricing. Give it a try.

Some contributions from my end :-

1. Kentuckee (Colva Beach), good fish fry and prawns vindaloo

2. Mickey's ( Colva Beach Road) : Small place, but very lively with live orchestra and good food and extremely reasonable pricing

3. Infantaria : Best Chicken Pies in Goa

4. Delhi Durbar, Panjim : Best North Indian Food in Goa. Quite expensive though

5. Sher-e-Punjab, Panjim : Good North Indian food in Panjim

6. Hotel Mandovi, Panjim : One of the best prawn snacks cooked in red thick gravy dripping in ghee. Perfect receipe for a heart attack

Will add more, as i recall
Old 18th October 2009, 10:50   #9
Senior - BHPian

Goan food

I presume when one comes to Goa one would aim for "authentic" goan food. What is authentic? highly debateable, but here goes my choice of good goan food
1. Claudy - Bogmolo 500 meters short of the beach
2. Shiela Bar - opposite san Jacinto island on the chicalim cortalim road
3. Pentagon - Majorda beach 500 m short of Majorda beach resort
4. Martins corner - pricy but good ambiance
5. O coceiro
6. Konkan in Panjim (good malvani food -fish thali)
7. Kentuckee - Colva (amazing Prawn biryani)
Old 18th October 2009, 12:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

1. Mango tree at Vagator (there are WAY too many in Goa, but the one @ the top of the slope that goes down to Sterling Resorts and the 'dil chahta hai' fort on the mountain.)
Old 18th October 2009, 12:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Earlier visits to Goa had different agenda's so we did only the touristy bit, so not very exciting but still the must see type affair

Infantria - Sunday brunch
Britto - Meat Platters
Suza Lobo's

This thread now has me planning a short trip!

Noted the above posts and I will visit!

If the residents know any non-descript local joints with down to earth food and prices please share your secrets
Old 18th October 2009, 14:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

This thread seems to be coming along nicely! mobike, sweet chilli is on my list - in fact it was the last time too, but we ended up in Bomras which also turned out to be a great find! Burmese kowswe and warm chocolate fondant still is a memory that needs a reboot.
We will be in Panjim for sure one day - what is the best Goan food there now? Any recent visitors to Viva Panjim? Venite in Panjim isn't so good anymore.
I hear that Goenchin in Panjim is well talked of, but I see absolutely no point in eating Chinese in Goa. On the other hand, one could say the same thing about Bomras, except that its owner/chef is a french trained Burmese!
Old 18th October 2009, 15:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

There is a lot more on this subject on the indiamike foras, so that is another resource as we build up this one here.
Old 18th October 2009, 23:49   #14
BHPian

This an article i have printed and keep in my car. Still eating my way through it. The article is a couple of years old though. Try these places.Borscht on the beach :: Goanet :: Where Goans connect
Old 19th October 2009, 07:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant find filcord, and very timely for me at any rate, I shall carry a print. Eating your way through, any comments modifying what is stated about the places you have visited? Its true in all Indian cities, even more so in Goa - consistency over time is hard to maintain, so what is good in this season may no longer be so in the next.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks