Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2009, 08:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

Logo of "S" will look nice on that jeep.
Nice work.
Old 16th November 2009, 09:47   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey, looks very nice. A nice read on a Monday morning.

PS: Maybe add a snorkel using those straws :-)
Old 16th November 2009, 09:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Great build, Samurai!

I am sure, few years down the road, you might be doing this exercise, once again, for your son. That time, taking the under chassis photos will not be so easy.
Old 16th November 2009, 10:16   #19
BHPian

Wow man, this is cool, your kid must be flaunting it in school all this week. Congratulations samurai, i personally love "jugaad " kaam.
Old 16th November 2009, 11:46   #20
BHPian

Good Job Samurai - any pics of the interiors?
Old 16th November 2009, 12:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

Samurai is Daddy-cool!!!!

This project made me remember the nostalgic moments spent with my dad when I was a kid, he is also an auto lover who used to make me toy cars made using hard-boards, old greeting cards etc. Every summer holiday he manages to make me one or two cars with very realistic looks (not scale models offcourse) with his drawing skills using marker pens and all. I still remember Omni, contessa, open Gypsy, trax etc he made for me with all his love. Infact this initiative was to ensure I enjoy my summer vacation playing around and the same time saving money for the house we stay since last 18 years . Now I have a 10 month old son who is also an auto maniac, need to try out something for his happiness which will last long in his life.

Samuraiji,
you are a great dad with a great son who is following ur foot steps. I swear this will be something your son will remember throughout his life, even though you buy toys worth several thousands or you buy him a real car!
Old 17th November 2009, 01:30   #22
BHPian

gnagsta rims. low pro tires . not your style is it?
Old 17th November 2009, 09:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

samu made for a wonderful read and yeah you bght back memories from my good ole school days. Still remember that it used to be compulsory for each one of is to do a project and display it during the annual exhibition day.
Old 17th November 2009, 09:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

Build quality puts my Swift to shame!!!
Old 17th November 2009, 10:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

It was so nice to read this thread. Great work Samurai, your son will remember this for long. And I am sure his interest in automobiles has been ignited with this, if not already.
Old 17th November 2009, 10:49   #26
Team-BHP Support

WOW!! Awesome job Samu!

I loved the wheels in the first few pics, but what i liked the most was the underbody! Leaf spings + how they are mounted to the axles. Superb!

cya
R

EDIT : Isn't there a member here who builds his own models and has a fairly large collection of them? ...i cant seem to remember his user id.

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th November 2009 at 10:50.
Old 17th November 2009, 11:23   #27
Team-BHP Support

Thanks everybody for your kind remarks. Yesterday, it was quite a hit among his classmates, nobody else had made a functional Jeep with turning wheels. However, some senior person in the school board expired, and the school was called off before the teacher could see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I loved the wheels in the first few pics, but what i liked the most was the underbody! Leaf spings + how they are mounted to the axles.
When I told my son that I will make the wheels entirely out of paper, he was very skeptical. He was hoping to use bottle caps or Gems cylinder for that purpose. Then I had to explain him the importance of reducing unsprung weight. Lighter the wheels, less effort to move the vehicle. That was proved when it could offroad (not just move) using just wind power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Cute - Paint job is from hell but leaf springs are nifty .... and tubular chassis too!?
It is actually a C-section chassis, I had to cut the straws in half lengthwise to get the necessary bends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
May be you can upload the engineering drawings here for other less mechanically abled (grand)fathers.
;-)
Sure, I'll do it again and post that drawing. Engineering drawing was my favourite subject in 1st year BE.
Old 17th November 2009, 11:36   #28
BHPian

Sweet one samurai. kudos to you. btw, the jeep doesn't have the designers mark on it, have you chosen the make and model.

Kids make us happy. Parents spending time with the kids makes them really happy.

Schools, these days ensure that the parents are also involved in child's learning activities thru these sorts of project works and the amount of satisfaction that both the parent and kids have at the end is phenomenol.

Last edited by ikoneer : 17th November 2009 at 11:37.
Old 17th November 2009, 12:51   #29
Team-BHP Support

Nice mods you got there, hybrid with wheel disc motors running eh. Mileage kitna hein?
Old 17th November 2009, 13:01   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Those of you who know my son is in 3rd grade, might wonder about the title.

In other words, I'm definitely smarter than a 3rd grader.
Well Samu I am not so I am goig to need the designs and plans! My son will be asked to make this next year.

We made a BEST Bus using Toothpaste boxes, a soap box, bottle caps for wheels etc. I did not take pics however. I should really take more pics of my son's stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I loved the wheels in the first few pics, but what i liked the most was the underbody! Leaf spings + how they are mounted to the axles. Superb!
I know that was cool.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks