Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2005, 19:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

What I like about Cal is that laid back feel you get. Whenever I go there I am put up at Salt Lake and that is cool.
Old 11th August 2005, 19:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

being a bengali ..i have been to cal quite a few times..never liked it ..seems dull ..roads are empty after 10 at night ..
eating out is pretty cheap though somehow i never didnt find it to my taste (park street joints)
city is not maintained (where does all the tax you guys pay go ???????????????)
..there is huge concetration of wealth and wealthy reside in few posh localitis namely New Alipur road ..property value is much much lower than Delhi or Bombay..

..corruption down to the grass roots level ..everybody is somebody's "dalal" ..

i remember 2002 winter i was staying in Oberoi Grand ,i left the hotel to buy smokes..
the chowrungee street man is full of "charsis " in every corner ,beggars crowding around me and street mongers .. drains open stinking ,cow dung ..and this was right outside a posh property the Grand...i was just disgusted ..
Old 11th August 2005, 21:33   #18
Team-BHP Support

LOL, i was also in bangalore and what you say about infrastructure is true. But tell you what, nothing can compare to the weather and the crowd
Old 31st August 2005, 17:02   #19
BHPian

Hi,

I live in Ghaziabad, and daily commute to Okhla Ph-I in Delhi; a 56 KM drive to-and-fro :-( Petrol bill is too high, roughly 6-7K a month. But apart from that I think Delhi is cheaper than Mumbai and Bangalore (other two metros where I have lived for a considerable time). You can find good food at reasonable prices; groceries etc are reasonably priced; I bought property when it was dirt cheap, otheriwse now it's at par with Mumbai/Bangalor ein similar locations.
I guess fuel bills must be playing the biggest part in proprelling cost of living in Delhi so high.

\N
Old 31st August 2005, 17:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

I live in Hyderabad. Though I haven't stayed in other cities, I am pretty sure this is one of the cheapest cities. You find home and food at every price. Even transportation is cheaper provided you can tolerate the overcrowded roads.
Old 31st August 2005, 17:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Mysore is the place to be if your looking for cheap accomodation....The proximity to Bangalore is a huge plus point....The roads are extremely good in the downtown....The weather is similar to Bangalore (sometimes cooler and drier) and people are as hospitable as Bangalore used to be 15 years ago...In fact I can say Mysore is roughly what Bangalore used to be 15 years ago; that is, you would be living in the past but you can get to the present quick enough...(2.5 hours away, lesser after the new road is done)...
Old 31st August 2005, 17:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath
(2.5 hours away, lesser after the new road is done)...
2.5 hours till electronic city. Add another 1 or 2 hours to cross silk board junction n reach the center of the city.
Old 31st August 2005, 18:21   #23
DRC
BHPian

I guess Bangalore,

By any standards, opinions, news and surveys I read/heard,
Road tax is costlier than other cities..I paid 45K for petra,
petrol is costliest,
Highest tax paying state in the country,
very expensive real estate,
Very high hotel room rent and low availabality
Transport is also expensive,

Not well maintained road, only one usable airport, no good amenities other than Bangalore, dense traffic and frequesnt Jams, absurd oneways, and traffic rules.... Less value for money
Old 31st August 2005, 19:29   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
2.5 hours till electronic city. Add another 1 or 2 hours to cross silk board junction n reach the center of the city.
No Amitoj, coming from Mysore, you don't need to touch e-city You reach some where near KR market/Majestic etc. Still it takes around 1 hour to clear Mysore Road within Bangalore city area.

By the way I am starting from office now and I need to cross Silk board junction, Oh God
Old 1st September 2005, 18:50   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj

What are you talking about?
Old 2nd September 2005, 12:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas
No Amitoj, coming from Mysore, you don't need to touch e-city You reach some where near KR market/Majestic etc. Still it takes around 1 hour to clear Mysore Road within Bangalore city area.

By the way I am starting from office now and I need to cross Silk board junction, Oh God
Note to self: Not to post anything when you have just woken up.
Old 19th May 2011, 12:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

re: The costliest city to live in India

I don't care what the search results say:

If I discount the real estate factors (rent and ownership of house), the costliest city IS DEFINITELY Bangalore. If I account for real estate, then it could be Bombay.

I am from Delhi and I know for fact that general things (especially via 'Jugaad') are way cheaper than in Bangalore.
Old 19th May 2011, 13:18   #28
BHPian

Abhi, this thread is 6 years old buddy,
Old 19th May 2011, 13:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Re: Costliest living city in India
Abhi, this thread is 6 years old buddy,
I know my friend. I still just wanted to voice my opinion. A couple of my frined swho stay at Delhi think that Bangalor ein quite cheap since it is a 'smaller' place

Interesting topic though!
Old 19th May 2011, 13:36   #30
Senior - BHPian

Its good to see an old thread revived. I think the subject is still valid. Interesting to read those posts with mention of Rs45 as the petrol price in Bangalore (in 2005) Who thought that time that it would be 71 in 6 yrs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks