Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2011, 13:53   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: The costliest city to live in India

Thread might be old but is still valid. Take price of real estate in Mumbai away from the equation and you will have Bangalore as the costliest city to live in. Highest Road tax , I guess highest price of petrol in country, the list is long.
I guess the purchasing power of people is more here than other parts of country. Otherwise how can we explain it?
Old 8th June 2011, 22:20   #32
BHPian

Re: The costliest city to live in India

Transport(by road), petrol, cost of road tax, octroi, vegetables,rent or cost of owning a house,hotel, anything you take definitely Mumbai is way costlier..
Old 8th June 2011, 22:51   #33
BHPian

Though I haven't lived in any other city for a long time, other than Bangalore. I have been to a couple of cities and can safely say that Bangalore is the most expensive city to live in.

Fuel prices in Bangalore are the highest in the country.

I cant think of any other city that has the worst public transport system with the highest Autorikshaw, taxi and bus fares.

We pay the highest road tax and hence the OTR of any vehicle here is very high compared to other cities and over that we have the worst roads.

In spiteof having very bad infrastructure, we pay more for electricity and water and pay very high property taxes.

And to add to all the above expenses, we are the most corrupt city in the nation where you cant get anything done without paying a bribe!!

The only positive thing I find here is the weather
Old 8th June 2011, 23:05   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
I cant think of any other city that has the worst public transport system with the highest Autorikshaw, taxi and bus fares.
You probably have not met Chennai auto-wallas.

Quote:
In spiteof having very bad infrastructure, we pay more for electricity and water and pay very high property taxes.
IMHO, Bangalore has pretty good infrastructure. Again, water is more scarce in Chennai than Bangalore.

Quote:
And to add to all the above expenses, we are the most corrupt city in the nation where you cant get anything done without paying a bribe!!
This is again a sweeping statement. The corrupted officials would be corrupt wherever they are. Leave poor Bangalore alone.
Old 8th June 2011, 23:06   #35
BHPian

Having stayed in Pune, Bangalore and Gurgaon, I think Bangalore is the most expensive. However, Gurgaon isn't way behind Bangalore. Real-estate prices are comparable to Bangalore, if not more expensive. But certain things like, groceries, transportation (shared autos, cycle rickshaws), eating out (diversity of food items and places of with diverse budget options), labor costs, movie tickets are much cheaper than Bangalore.
Old 8th June 2011, 23:12   #36
BHPian

real estate is the most expensive in Mumbai, for everything else Bangalore is expensive.

Trust me, Been living in Bangalore from the last 26 years and we have seen this city's cost of living shooting up like anything in last decade.
Old 8th June 2011, 23:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

Lets set aside real estate.. (Hong Kong is the craziest I think when it comes to property matters)

Agree on Bangalore being among the costliest (if not the costliest), but whats cheaper in Mumbai? The only difference is that you have a much bigger range for the entire pyramid whereas Bangalore is more upscale oriented. But that doesnt make Mumbai cheaper, does it?
Old 9th June 2011, 00:06   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo
Interesting to read those posts with mention of Rs45 as the petrol price in Bangalore (in 2005) Who thought that time that it would be 71 in 6 yrs.
Actually around 13 in 5 years and an equal amount in just 1 more year!

For me personally Bengaluru was cheaper to live in overall because I was driving ~350 kms a month in a (not-so-fuel-efficient-old-carb'd) 800 at "those" petrol prices whereas now in Hyderabad I'm clocking 1500 kms a month in a Civic at current petrol prices .

That said I think Mumbai is the costliest in India followed by Bengaluru and Gurgaon in no particular order (i.e. depending on the mix of rent and commute).

Regards,
Prashanth
Old 9th June 2011, 00:23   #39
BHPian

It has to be "BANGALORE". Everything is expensive here and adding fuel to the fire, the government's attitude is "Take it or leave it".

Even Real estate is expensive in Bangalore. Mumbai is most expensive, but only in some areas. You get food at high prices as well as low in Mumbai, but in Bangalore, the least prices are much higher than Mumbai's. Even transportation cost is lower in Mumbai.

So, It's Bangalore!!!!!!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks