Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 14:07   #16
BANNED

I thiink with modern ECU equipped engines Tuning is no longer big. You need to be in the business of having a high end engine analyser (with adapters for most ECUs), an agency from someone like Petes (and some others for petrols) for remaps, and a dealership for minor upgrades like filters, plugs, manifolds, etc.
Old 8th December 2009, 15:04   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Neil,

Thanks a lot for being very sensible. You have shown lots of maturity. I appreciate.

You will do really well in whatever you do because of this.

Keep in touch !

bye
Finally talked with Mr.Padgaonkar.Frankly speaking they weren't of much help.They told me to go with my certificates and all in a service center & work learn thing,etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I thiink with modern ECU equipped engines Tuning is no longer big. You need to be in the business of having a high end engine analyser (with adapters for most ECUs), an agency from someone like Petes (and some others for petrols) for remaps, and a dealership for minor upgrades like filters, plugs, manifolds, etc.
Sir i personally think there is a lot more than just the ECU's. I mean rather than putting up a shop - dealership,bodykit store,etc i want to have a samll workshop where i can tune rides according to peoples needs.But thats a long term gaol.

And for that i need to learn thing myself first & that the reason i have put up this to know from exactly where to start.
Old 8th December 2009, 15:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Where does those maps and boxes come from?
From someone who's into tuning and who builds these after a long process of R&D and trial and error. Petes box or a remap is only the end product that is being plugged in or being overwritten. Its not tuning.
Old 8th December 2009, 15:39   #19
BHPian

i personally feel that your approach should have been more professional.

Ok, do onething, make a good resume with all the certificates and send it to him with a personal letter mentioning your intentions and goal

Wait few days from them to respond.

Were you under the impression that you will be entertained, once you call him? This, i find the most unprofessional way of doing things. Remember he is big man, so proper approach is required.

Please do it with some patience man !

Last edited by nandans2005 : 8th December 2009 at 15:41.
Old 8th December 2009, 16:46   #20
BHPian

Quote:
i personally feel that your approach should have been more professional.

Ok, do onething, make a good resume with all the certificates and send it to him with a personal letter mentioning your intentions and goal

Wait few days from them to respond.

Were you under the impression that you will be entertained, once you call him? This, i find the most unprofessional way of doing things. Remember he is big man, so proper approach is required.

Please do it with some patience man !
Sir the thing is that i don't want a Job.I had been in a Maruti service center before which was equivalent to working (job) but as i said i dint really get the exposure.They hardly opened up engines & they themselves struggled to put it back together.They have to give back the cars in time & they don't really waste time explaining you the things.

I hope you are getting me.
Old 8th December 2009, 17:33   #21
Team-BHP Support

Neil.Bhujbal,

Are you looking for :

1) How to futher study / acquire the technical skills needed?

2) How you should go about setting up your business? (Assuming you already have the skills)

3) A reality check on how likely this is to work etc

What you've asked is fairly vague. Its like saying "I want to be a race driver" -- but haven't mentioned any other specifics.

Most "tuners" i know of here either start as :
1) A regular service garage, which then slowly moves into playing around and making cars faster
2) A supplier of bolt-on accessories (K&N, Mufflers etc), and then expands
3) Toying around to make their car go faster (sometimes related to the motorsports scene), which evolves into a full-time thing.

Now add to the above, something that is more available in the last decade, perhaps get an "internship" with (for example) RaceDynamics, work with them for 2-6months, and if they think you do good work, you could be offered a job. Though the question here is -- do you have the required skills for the internship?

cya
R
Old 8th December 2009, 17:48   #22
BHPian

well, what i meant is that you need to work for a while to get real hold of things. Then once you get an hang of it, you may have to start on your own. Working for company in R & D gets you to so many unknown facts.

if you dont want to work, then i suggest you just follow Rehaan's advise.
Old 8th December 2009, 18:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Most "tuners" i know of here either start as :
1) A regular service garage, which then slowly moves into playing around and making cars faster
2) A supplier of bolt-on accessories (K&N, Mufflers etc), and then expands
3) Toying around to make their car go faster (sometimes related to the motorsports scene), which evolves into a full-time thing.

Now add to the above, something that is more available in the last decade, perhaps get an "internship" with (for example) RaceDynamics, work with them for 2-6months, and if they think you do good work, you could be offered a job. Though the question here is -- do you have the required skills for the internship?

cya
R
Quote:
well, what i meant is that you need to work for a while to get real hold of things. Then once you get an hang of it, you may have to start on your own. Working for company in R & D gets you to so many unknown facts.

if you dont want to work, then i suggest you just follow Rehaan's advise.
Exactly guys.I am ready to work & learn things & then go by the 3 points Rehaan has mentioned.

I am from pune and here the garage's are full with old cars, service centers dont give the needed exposure.

The right place would be a Proper Modification Shop (like KS motorsport) & i literally want start as a helper.I dont even mind spending 2,3 years learning.

Required skills for the internship - I have my diploma certificate which is pretty useless when it comes to practical things and as i have said before i really want to start of as a helper.I grasp things pretty quickly so shouldn't be a problem.

So tell me. Who is setting me up in a MOD SHOP ?

Last edited by Neil.Bhujbal : 8th December 2009 at 18:41.
Old 9th December 2009, 11:53   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

As others mentioned, the only way to get real experience is by working under a tuner. I'd say, plan for atleast 2 - 3 years of workex to learn the tricks of the trade.

Pune doesn't have too many tuners. You should be open to moving to Bombay for work. On a related note, I'd highly recommend supplementing your work experience with some solid reading on technical books.

Western India has a marked absence of quality tuning shops, there are only a handful. You have a niche to fill right there. Good luck!
Old 9th December 2009, 16:23   #25
BHPian

I can move to Bombay,but first of all i need to tell all this to my parents.
Will take a little time but am sure they will do as i say.

Now the main question - Anyone willing to help me to get into a Mod Shop ?
Anyone who has good relations with the Bombay Tuner's ?

Last edited by Neil.Bhujbal : 9th December 2009 at 16:24.
Old 9th December 2009, 16:38   #26
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

What is stopping you from opening up your own engine or reading online? There is more information than you can absorb in a lifetime.
Old 9th December 2009, 16:47   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
What is stopping you from opening up your own engine or reading online? There is more information than you can absorb in a lifetime.
I do , i sit with a stool in my parking,have opened up my bikes carb to play around with jet's,s etc so many times.People watching me think i am crazy but there is a limit to what all can be done in a parking.

About reading online,have tone's of pages saved,read but trying it is altogether a different experience & i need to get that experience first.
Old 10th December 2009, 01:35   #28

Small word of advice. Try getting a Job in the R&D dept of an Automobile company. Also, If you do see your dream come through, one word of advice. Do a job ONCE, and do it PERFECT!!
Old 10th December 2009, 10:06   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Small word of advice. Try getting a Job in the R&D dept of an Automobile company. Also, If you do see your dream come through, one word of advice. Do a job ONCE, and do it PERFECT!!
Word's taken Sirji. I don't mind doing a job. But getting into R&D dept is really difficult,almost next to impossible.I am from a pvt university & they literally wont consider my case.

Last edited by Neil.Bhujbal : 10th December 2009 at 10:09.
Old 17th August 2010, 16:11   #30
BHPian

Update ! Update !

First of all thanks to all those who actually replied in this thread & gave their opinions to help me out.

Now i will be joining "Tune Up Plus" here in Pune to get some real experience.
Yes its the same place where our fellow bhpian Ameya has got his lancers engine swapped.

Looking forward to some long & great learning experience

Most Viewed