Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2005, 21:59   #31
Senior - BHPian

Apart from JC there is even a one pager from James May.

Quote:
Looks like ACI has someone other than OD to worry 'bout.
I doubt whether ACI was ever worried about OD.

In the first issue the Range Rover Sport story and the Enzo vs MC 12 are a treat to read

Dippy
Old 18th August 2005, 23:19   #32
Senior - BHPian

I think in the coming months the top spot fight is gonna be between ACI and TG, overdrive i doubt is gonna keep up to them with the absence of their editor and Car magazine just doesnt look that strong enough to me. TG with the backing and marketing of times group would be able to pull it off i guess.

I particularly liked the story on the RR Phantom drive in Dubai.. especially the part where they mention that they constructed the 400m flyover from the airport to avoid that one stop light to give that hotel a 7 star status!
Old 19th August 2005, 01:08   #33
Team-BHP Support

Disagree. If you read the cover story, they talk about soon to be launched Tata Dicor. Considering its a Sept issue, and dicor was launched beginning august, they should have had a complete road test of the car. I am sure good magazines like BSM/ACI will have road rests.

The article quality was great and so were the cars, but its Top Gear India. I can publish a great magazine with 300 pages writing about the best cars of europe and japan, bit when you talk about a local car magazine, its the quality of the content pertaining to that country.

My take on Top gear. Well they wanted to launch a magazine, So they picked up some articles they already had, and did a hurry up job through the tests and all. For example in Getz/Swift/Palio test there is one line devoted to indica which says something like "Its not as refined but also a good buy regarding the price" Nothing more. This is unprofessional.

Infact Top Gear screamed all the way "I am a Times group magazing, you will see pretty girls and prettier cars, but dont expect more".

But one thing i give it kudos : Its the first Page 4 car magazine
Old 19th August 2005, 10:03   #34
Team-BHP Support

Picked up my copy yesterday. First impressions were good - paper quality great, a lot of content (or so it seemed).

But, many of the articles seem to be hashed together - short one page articles, which just seemed to be put there to fill up space and add bulk. As tsk mentioned, it doesn't seem like a very proffessional job to me.

However, we need to give these magazines a few months to settle down before we judge how good they really are.
Old 19th August 2005, 11:14   #35
BHPian

Couldnt find TG in TVM.I guess its available in cochin.
@steeroidid u check out the photos in Topppp giyer (MAL)?.Its all very good ones.Should give a copy to Rudra sir.
Old 19th August 2005, 11:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

very good content.but i find that there are many contradicting arguments.

but i like the way they are straight forward about things.typical TG.
Old 19th August 2005, 16:35   #37
Senior - BHPian

well, just picked up my first copy, and all i can say is.... the first editions of the ACI and OD were never even close to this sort of quality and content. yes, the standards have risen since then, but i'm saying this as the result of an effective comparo between all of them irrespective of time...

and trust me, i feel like the mag has tremendous potential....and i also feel like a lot of O.D customers are gonna switch, too.....ACI don't need to worry, their ground is safe....

another gulliver in the making...?? perhaps....but the competiton has someone serious to worry about now....

p.s- i found that the adverts are in typical times fashion.... what are those ads of the kohinoor,and other crap doing in an auto mag....???????
Old 20th August 2005, 11:03   #38
Senior - BHPian

Picked up my copy of TG India and its great to read, especially the international articles. The quality is just as good as ACI, hope they maintain the same levels in future. The buyers guide has very straightforward veiws about cars.
Old 20th August 2005, 11:20   #39
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I loved the new Top Gear! The international content is fabulous (expectedly), and some local articles like the one by Ranjit Lal had me in splits. Good job! The first issue appears to have too much of an international bias but I guess its only a matter of time before the content gets heavily localised.

The graphics and layout is stunning, Its a bit confusing at first but I guess familiarity will set in after 1 - 2 issues.

The only area of improvement in my opinion is the quality of Indian photos versus the ones imported from their UK counterparts. I mean, check out the CLS pictures. They are downright pathetic in quality - It looks like they used a disposable Kodak for the same. And couldnt anyone wipe the car dry before clicking?

GTO

P.S. Also surprised to see Autocar loyalist Vardhan Kondvikar as part of the Top Gear India.
Old 20th August 2005, 11:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

Flipped through the TG yesterday. I guess for the money you can't beat the content. But too much international content. I was hoping to see the TG style taking to the Indian content. Some good veteran auto hacks though. I wonder if domestic profanity will make it to indian TG. I was also surprised to see Gautam Sen at the helm, after the Auto Motor und Sport fiasco.
Old 20th August 2005, 12:38   #41
Team-BHP Support

I got my copy of Top Gear on the day that it was launched and absolutely loved it. The articles are very interesting and at Rs. 60 per copy, it's great value. I kinda like Gautam Sen's style. Loads of international content is another thing that I liked.
Top Gear will certainly raise the bar and to match it, I'm sure Autocar India, which has been great over the years, will raise their standards.
Old 20th August 2005, 15:41   #42
Bob
BHPian

hi im looking for topgear too

two days ago we went to enigma disc at jw marriot but management told us there is private party is going on
search about that and finally we get information it's launching party of top gear
so at last we went to coffeshop of jw

BOB
Old 20th August 2005, 16:54   #43
Senior - BHPian

Bob the TG launch was at The President not Enigma at JW

Dippy
Old 20th August 2005, 18:25   #44
Senior - BHPian

I don't think TG will have so much international content in the coming issues as in the inagural issue and will have lesser pages. If iam right i read an article by Vardhan Kondvikar, wasn't he ACI guy?

Last edited by sridhar24 : 20th August 2005 at 18:26.
Old 20th August 2005, 18:48   #45
Team-BHP Support

I picked it up and was a bit cynical till I glanced through the articles - if this is a normal issue - it looks good, there is enough content even without Clarkson and May - although they are willing to bite and snipe about cars over here. CAR India were too nice .

most of the journalists are pretty senior and speak straight with a "nothing to lose" attitude. A good start!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks