Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2016, 13:56   #676
BHPian

The "School Admissions" Thread

I am looking for feedback about Gopalan PU college which is actually run by Diksha. How is the quality of education and focus towards students ? I feel the schedule for 11 and 12 class is very demanding almost 9 hours and then they recommend another 3 hours of home study. I am not a fan of this kind of schooling however not much options are available around whitefield. Any info related to this will be highly appreciated.
Old 7th March 2016, 19:01   #677
BHPian

re: The School & College Admissions Thread

Hi All

Small update on our Son's (April-2012 born) school admission experience from Dec-2014 till now(Mar-2016):

City: Bengaluru
New to Bengaluru
My family moved from Chennai to Bangalore in Dec-2014. My 2.5 year old son was with American Kids at Chennai (Had completed only 6 months there when we shifted him to Bangalore)

Playschool
Once in Bangalore, we took a place on rent in Mantri Sarovar, HSR Layout and put-up our son at Euro Kids,HSR Layout for Play School. We had to pay for Half-year fees even though we could avail only 3 months of classes. We also had to forego all payment at American Kids.

Admission Hunt - 2015-16
For the session 2015-16, we applied to
NPS(HSR),
NPS(Koramangala)
HeadStart Montessori(Koramangala)

NPS contacts you only when you are selected. No news is bad news.
We didn't hear from either of NPS HSR and Koramangla. We came to know from neighbours whose kids got admission(all of them had elder sibling already studying at NPS). *NPS has a strong policy on admissions criteria which can be seen here

On NPS, a colleague told me that its easier to get admission on IITs - but more difficult to get admission in NPS.

HeadStart Montessori called us for interaction and during the interaction said that our kid was over-age by 2 months and they need board's approval for doing an admit- which was a polished way to say no.

We didn't apply to any other place as we wanted to try NPS again. Also, as we were still settling down - so were not much aware of geography etc and travel times.

So, we continued with Euro Kids for 2015-16.

Admission Hunt - 2016-17
For the session 2016-17, we applied to
NPS(HSR),
NPS(Koramangala),
NPS(Indiranagar),
Bethany High(Koramangala),
Bethany(HSR/Sarjapur)
Greenwood High.

We enquired, but didn't apply to these schools:
Cherubs Motessori (linked to Inventura academy)
Vibgyor(HSR Extension)
DPS(Sarjapur Road)

We realised that we could get admission to Vibgyor and DPS anytime while Inventura was way toooo costly for us.

Interviews(Interaction) and Results 2016-17

Dec'15: Bethany

We got email from Bethany to come for parent+child interaction with principal. They told us that there are 2 branches- Old campus at Koramangala and new campus split between HSR(KinderGarten) and Off Sarjapur Road (Secondary and High School).
We were told that since we stay in HSR, we cannot get admission in Koramangala branch as that school caters to residents of MG Road, Indirangar and other central Bangalore areas. The only option was to get admitted at KG in HSR where kid will study for next 3 years and then move to Sarjapur Road campus.
The principal showed some toys to our son - and asked to name which he did. He was also shown a doll and asked to name body parts - which he did. Then, he was shown small case alphabets and asked to identify them - which our son couldn't- he was not taught this by Euro Kidz till now.

Bethany wanted us to deposit around 85K in next 5 days to secure the seat.
We saw the campus photo on their website and were not comfortable.

Dec'15: Euro Kidz

The current school sent a letter for Parent Teacher Meet.
During the same meeting, they gauged our interest to go for next academic year with Euro Kidz- to which we told we'll get back.
Within a week, they sent formal letter that if we want to continue with them for next academic year, then we'll have to submit the fees by 15th Jan 2016 or else we'll miss the seat.
We were not interested to continue with Euro Kidz- We felt Euro Kidz was good enough only for play schools and not senior years.

So, we politely let that opportunity go by.

Dec'15: GreenWood High

2 days later, we got call from Greenwood High to come for parent+child interaction with principal.
The principal did take proper interview of our kid- she had an assortment of items in baskets in her table: (colours, shapes, letters, animals, transport toys etc).
Our son did fairly good to identify and name the objects(Square, Oval, Rectangle etc).
Then she asked us to let him recite any of his favourite rhymes. He was so shy (and we were so nervous!)- he wouldn't recite the poem 'twinkle twinkle little star'! I somehow managed him to recite 'bits of paper' rhyme.
Then she asked to read from 1 to 10- and my son read out 1 to 10 and conveniently skipped 7 and 8.
Then she asked to recite from A to Z - and my son was so resistant to recite.. and recited about 16-17 letters and skipped the rest.

In the meantime, the electricity supply was restored in their office and tube-lights switched on. Next room exhaust fan was on- and my son was so happy - "Papa current has come back" "Papa, tubelight is on" "Papa, exhaust fan is on" and was going on non-stop.

The principal told us that whether Euro Kidz teach phonetics to our kid- and we said no. She said that we should teak him Phonetics as Bethany teaches phonetics in equivalent class. Our son should study phonetics and be prepared for the upcoming session with other students. Also she advised us to teach our son tracing skills for capital alphabets.

Finally, we were advised to deposit around 85K in next 5 days to secure the seat.

Dillemma

Both these schools had Kindergarten campus near to our residence(HSR)- Bethany(HSR) and Greenwood High(Koramangala) and primary,secondary,high school campus far off - Off Sarjapur Road.

We spoke to colleagues, acquaintances and finalized GreenWood High- primary reasons:
1. Each class has only 20 kids upto 12th i.e. better Teacher to Student Ratio
2. Better campus facilities and already the session was active for 10+2
3. Everyone we spoke to - they had positive feedback on Greenwood - the only common negative complaint being its too expensive.
4. School Buses are all air conditioned and have upto date GPS tracking.
5. Emphasis on extra-curricular activities

Decision- Jan-2016
We deposited the cheque to Greenwood high and let go the opportunity at Bethany.
And we were bracing ourselves to shell out ~2Lakhs per year henceforth with annual increment of ~15% per year.

New Development- March-2016
Today I got call from NPS(HSR) that our application has been shortlisted and that we've to visit the school for parent+child interaction with school chairman and when we come for the interaction, we should bring a DD of Rs 1,31,250.
What did we change in our application form to NPS from previous year? - Nothing.

I was left overwhelmed and so relieved. Informed my wife and she was also so relieved.
I'd asked the caller - can I take this as final confirmation of admission to which she said its 90% confirmed.
Spoke to a colleague whose kid is in NPS Montessorri-2, and he said I should take it as 100% confirmed.

Also, I've set-up a Recurring Deposit for Rs.12500 for 1-year so that I get Rs 1,56,000 next year and use that fund for tuition fees. The fees increase by ~15% every year

Will post NPS experience once its done.

PS
To all the other followers of this thread- my heart goes out to you. I have gone through the anxiety that goes through the minds of parents. Its so appalling that there is no such forum like team-bhp for schools and hence there is no credible information or advice available - especially for people new to this city.
Old 7th March 2016, 19:55   #678
Senior - BHPian

The fee increase is really illogical. National Hill View in RR Nagar also increases fees every year and is twice that of what you pay at Bishop Cottons or Kumarans or DPS. There seems to be nothing that can control the management of such institutions from charging whatever they want.
Old 7th March 2016, 20:24   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
We were told that since we stay in HSR, we cannot get admission in Koramangala branch as that school caters to residents of MG Road, Indirangar and other central Bangalore areas. The only option was to get admitted at KG in HSR where kid will study for next 3 years and then move to Sarjapur Road campus.
Sarjapur Road is the new campus of Bethany High which was set up only a few years ago and it appears they were trying to get you to admit your child there. Many students in Bethany High, Koramangala come from HSR Layout. Bethany's own school bus goes to HSR Layout and one bus goes even as far away as JP Nagar. In fact I know of many parents who lived in a rented apartment in Koramangala, then moved to HSR and some to Sarjapur Road.

Quote:
The principal showed some toys to our son - and asked to name which he did. He was also shown a doll and asked to name body parts - which he did. Then, he was shown small case alphabets and asked to identify them - which our son couldn't- he was not taught this by Euro Kidz till now.
My son also went to Euro Kidz, albeit 10-12 years ago. I wouldn't worry too much about your child's interview, I guess they just check for signs of intelligence. I am not sure how much anyone can figure out at that age.

Quote:
Bethany wanted us to deposit around 85K in next 5 days to secure the seat.
We saw the campus photo on their website and were not comfortable.
It is a non-refundable admission fee (or building fund or school fund or some such sort). I am surprised that it has only gone up so much from the 50K I paid over 10 years ago.

Bethany's school fees work out to around 50K annually which can be paid in 5 installments.

Quote:
2 days later, we got call from Greenwood High to come for parent+child interaction with principal.
From what I hear, Greenwood doesn't have that great a reputation and if you are looking in that area there are other schools there which seem to be better. You can also look at International Schools which offer a full-ride scholarship, albeit these are very few in number.
Old 8th March 2016, 11:00   #680
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about your child's interview, I guess they just check for signs of intelligence. I am not sure how much anyone can figure out at that age.
They don't check for "intelligence" as in gifted/smart. They check if the kid is normal - in terms of brain development, motor skills, hearing, vision, etc. For example, for my son's session, the teacher held picture of apple, pointed to it asked what is it. My son answered Red and he got through. Similarly they test the ability to pick things, recognize colors ( it doesnt have to be exactly right ) etc.

Again all this is for the pre-kg/play year they start out. Once you start seeking admissions to higher classes they will expect the kid to be on par with other students in that school who would be in that grade.
Old 13th March 2016, 12:49   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All

New Development- March-2016
Today I got call from NPS(HSR) that our application has been shortlisted and that we've to visit the school for parent+child interaction with school chairman and when we come for the interaction, we should bring a DD of Rs 1,31,250.
Will post NPS experience once its done.
Update on our NPS Interaction

We were at school 5 mins before our scheduled time around noon. While entering the campus, we could make out that its a day-long exercise- as many parents were waiting for their turn, many on way out and many in stalls put up for a. Fees b. Transport C. Uniform.

We were guided by the staff and immediately waiting for our turn to meet Mr. Gopalkrishna.
Once our turn came, we were soon inside a BIG room where we met Mr Gopalkrishna and Mrs. Bindu Hari.

The whole interaction was about the firm where I and my wife work. The discussion was a little longer because we both work in e-commerce firm.

Our kid got bored in 5 mins and started pulling my shirt.... and got the attention of the Chairman.
He just asked our kid his name.

Then he asked him to go get a chocolate for himself from a big bowl full of chocolates kept on another table far away.
Our kid went there, picked one chocolate, came back and gave it to me.

Then Mr. Gopkalkrishna thanked us and said we can proceed.

We thanked and left.

Then the school staff advised us to deposit the DD, collect the receipt and other documents. Also, we were advised that the uniform vendor and the transport vendor have put stalls in campus and we can approach them as per our requirement.

We deposited the fees, got the receipt. We also got a general guideline - with dates of orientation event for parents, orientation roster for kids, dates to come and collect the books.

We didnt opt for transport as the school is walking distance from our house.

Also, the uniform vendor asked to get 4 sets and billed us Rs 4999. We saw everyone ahead of us ordered 4 sets. I thought 4-sets are over do.... still went ahead with the flow.

Now, we've to find away to get refund, if any, from Greenwood high.
Old 13th March 2016, 23:12   #682
BHPian

Quote:
Update on our NPS Interaction

Also, the uniform vendor asked to get 4 sets and billed us Rs 4999. We saw everyone ahead of us ordered 4 sets. I thought 4-sets are over do.... still went ahead with the flow.

Now, we've to find away to get refund, if any, from Greenwood high.
That vendor is very costly.
Buy from outside vendors.
You don't need four sets
Old 14th March 2016, 07:07   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The fee increase is really illogical. National Hill View in RR Nagar also increases fees every year and is twice that of what you pay at Bishop Cottons or Kumarans or DPS. There seems to be nothing that can control the management of such institutions from charging whatever they want.
Have you not seen, they are carving the hill to make space . Newer school, nicer location, charge a premium?
Old 22nd March 2016, 14:26   #684
BHPian

I have been looking at schooling for my three year old son in Bangalore for quiet some time. When we were almost on the verge of finalizing, due to some sudden turn of events in the extended family, have to relocate to Chennai.

So far my son has not even seen any school and this would be his first step.
Hence our main criteria was not to make our kid travel too much everyday and hence are looking at a school within 5-10 kms radius.
Any suggestions on good schools around Pallavarm/Chromepet areas.

My spouse has been doing research on this and found that in almost all the schools the admissions are already over by December.
Looks to be we are left with a choice to put him in a Playschool/Nursery/Montessori and take him to reputed school from 1st Standard.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 22nd March 2016, 14:44   #685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Have you not seen, they are carving the hill to make space . Newer school, nicer location, charge a premium?
This school is being run by a minister in the current government who is well known for his real estate dealings and everyone knows that he has bankrolled that political party since the time of S. M. Krishna.
Old 22nd March 2016, 14:47   #686
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
I have been looking at schooling for my three year old son in Bangalore for quiet some time. When we were almost on the verge of finalizing, due to some sudden turn of events in the extended family, have to relocate to Chennai.

So far my son has not even seen any school and this would be his first step.
Hence our main criteria was not to make our kid travel too much everyday and hence are looking at a school within 5-10 kms radius.
Any suggestions on good schools around Pallavarm/Chromepet areas.

My spouse has been doing research on this and found that in almost all the schools the admissions are already over by December.
Looks to be we are left with a choice to put him in a Playschool/Nursery/Montessori and take him to reputed school from 1st Standard.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
If your son is three, I would suggest put him in a playschool for a year. Then put him in LKG in a proper school next year.

Do not wait till he reaches first standard. Getting admission becomes very difficult for higher grades/standards.
Old 22nd March 2016, 15:26   #687
BHPian

Thanks Oxy for the feedback.
Yes, that was in our thought, but also hearing that if you miss admissions during playgroup, then the next option would be only during first standard.
But still we would try that, the only effect would be on the "non-refundable deposits" though.
Old 30th March 2016, 11:42   #688
Team-BHP Support

Finland is the most literate country in the world. It also has one of the best education systems in world. When you see their system, one can realise how bad our system is.

http://www.takepart.com/photos/ten-s...ws-what-s-best
Old 30th March 2016, 12:34   #689
BHPian

My little one will bee 2 years young this June. I am having dilemma on whether to admit him to a playschool/preschool now or wait till he completes 3.5 years and enroll him to LKG directly. Also some of my friends are suggesting for Montessori. The fees of the school seems to be too high here in bangalore. Can somebody, please share some of the school's fee details here?

I have BRS Globabl center of excellence & Silver oaks in my mind for now. I stay in Kasavanahalli. Those 2 are nearer for my kid. Also any feedback on DPS East? hows the fees and the teaching methodologies?
Old 30th March 2016, 13:01   #690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Finland is the most literate country in the world. It also has one of the best education systems in world. When you see their system, one can realise how bad our system is.

http://www.takepart.com/photos/ten-s...ws-what-s-best
Thanks for the info. Can't agree more and many things can be implemented here too. Teachers for instance are where the children learns from. They should be the finest & able to inspire free thinkers, for everything else we have 'bots'. Our teachers are not selected on this basis and seldom become mentors. Calls for a radical concept change and willing to contribute here. Lets see.

Most Viewed